JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should go to the REI garage sale. They have a few each year. I bought my sleeping bag there for 1/3 the price. Some people take back things they don't like even though there isnt anything wrong with them. You have to look on the tag to make sure it doesnt have anything wrong with it.

Before you go you should decide on what type of sleeping bag you want. If your planning on bugging out with one in your pack, you should get a 20+ or 25+ because it gets really cold out in our state in the winter. They weigh a little more and are more expensive but it will be worth it. For overnight backpacking the most important thing is staying warm.

My little brother and his friends hit every single one of those REI sales. He usually goes the night before around 6 or 7 and sets up a tent and they make an evening and day of it. we like going in the morning and picking through the things they have grabbed and decided not to buy. there are some absolutely awesome savings to be had at those sales. shoot, one of the guys got one of those "1080 Go-cams" for $5.00!!

Whatever you do don't cheap out. It can be tempting to buy the $50 Fred Meyer, Glaciers Edge bag with all the whiz-bang features of the more expensive bags.
Trust me, they are not worth it. Crappy zippers, split seams, etc...
Shop around and get a decent brand on sale. A well made bag will last you years and years.

Unless you find some great deal at one of the clearance sales that the other posters mentioned, you're highly unlikely to find anything better than a coleman from walmart. And all new sleeping bags under $100, whether they come from walmart, REI, etc., are foreign made (if that matters to you).

My "big" sleeping bag is coleman mummy bag I bought from walmart 5 or 6 years ago. Don't know what model it is, but it's rated to 0 degrees, and only cost me like $40. The zipper finally broke last year, but I've literally spent several years sleeping in this bag (I'm basically a seasonal transient:s0112:) and after spending lots of time looking at more expensive bags, I haven't seen anything that's any better without spending way more money.

If you're looking for something lightweight, marmot makes good stuff. I have a pounder plus that probably has over a year of sleeping in that one too. It finally got a small rip in it, and it's not as warm as it use to be, but it's also been washed/dried in a regular washer/dryer a lot too. That one cost me like $200 from REI IIRC, but if you're in a situation where every ounce of weight matters and don't like freezing all night (it's still only realistically warm enough down to 40 degrees though, although it's rated for 25 I believe), it's worth the money.

The old school surplus army mummy bags are super warm and can be had cheap, but they're really heavy, most of the ones I've had usually end up breaking the zipper or the zipper gets stuck a lot, or they smell bad. Used sleeping bags are gross anyway.

Something very important to consider... a lot of the high end light weight super compact bags are of the 'mummy' style. DO NOT GET A MUMMY SLEEPING BAG UNLESS YOU SLEEP LIKE A MUMMY!!! I had a mummy bag once and I almost tore it because I kept going on my side and trying to bring my knees up and also stretching out again with my legs apart. I absolutely can not sleep restrained like those mummy bags force you to. Consider that.

I could only sleep for like 3 hours that whole night because I was so constrained in the mummy bag. I ended up unzipping it to get more wiggle room, but was super cold.

Something very important to consider... a lot of the high end light weight super compact bags are of the 'mummy' style. DO NOT GET A MUMMY SLEEPING BAG UNLESS YOU SLEEP LIKE A MUMMY!!! I had a mummy bag once and I almost tore it because I kept going on my side and trying to bring my knees up and also stretching out again with my legs apart. I absolutely can not sleep restrained like those mummy bags force you to. Consider that.
Same here, I need a big roomy sleeping bag.

I used a marmot pinnacle on The Appalachian Trail with a goretex bivy sack, anything above 25 degrees I woke up sweating.

Also, I have a contact who has two new never issued, never used USG complete systems, for $165.00 each includes ground shipping but requires cash in advance. I personally garuantee delivery, but no returns, they are new and used, perfect condition, acquired legally. The seller needs the cash. send me a personal email if interested

I did too, then one night we were hit with a frost at lolo pass, nearly froze my balls off.

I hit garage sales looking for gear, I found one that was selling all their old man's bags at $5 bucks a piece, and when I dug through it I found an old down bag. It's my go to 4th season bag now. Toasty.

Synthetic is lighter, but I like old school.

I bought a Big Agnes bag at REI about 8 yrs ago. I am a big guy, (6' 240lbs), and the cool thing about this particular bag is the fact that it has a non-insulated sleeve on the bottom for inserting a therm-a-rest style pad.

Essentially it is half a bag as far as weight and volume are concerned.

In hot weather I flip it over and use the insulation as my sleeping pad if I'm roughing it and I am cozy.
When it gets cold I just slide the pad into the sleeve and am still cozy.

My point as far as the OP goes:
A couple of weeks ago I saw this same bag advertised for $90 on sale, (I paid $160, 8 yrs ago).

Shop around and strike while the iron is hot.

Thanks guys, you gave a lot of good info, and answered my questions about a mummy bag.
I'm looking for an all seasons, large bag. I would rather have over kill, than freeze my a__s off, I'm old and crabby enough as it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top