Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Skydiving!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Quacky88, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

Who's done it? How was it? Best man scheduled trip for Bachelor Party...:eek:

skydiver likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Watch your ankles when you land.

Quacky88 and skydiver like this.
  3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I watch them jump from Skydive Oregon all summer. The two people I have known who've done it went out of there and they had nothing but good things to say. Also, if he doesn't speak up PM Skydiver, he may have some advice.

4. Scvette

Scvette Olympia Active Member

My 18 yr old daughter wants to go when I get home in mid August,kinda always wanted to try it so I guess nows the time.

skydiver likes this.
  5. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Good for you guys. I don't have the stones….

Quacky88, WilliamIV and skydiver like this.
  6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side.. you'll die instantly if things go hinky!

Quacky88 likes this.
  7. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

Over 600 jumps with 2 malfunctions and I'm still alive.
    Be advised, like the shooting sports, it's addictive and expensive!
    Wish I could enjoy a cheap sport like bird watching!
    PM me if you want more info.
    P.S. That's really me in the picture to the left.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    ZA_Survivalist and Quacky88 like this.
  8. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Signed up/ paid for like 20 jumps with a club when I lived in Sweden in the late 80s. We used the old round chutes and mine didn't fully open, sort of like a balloon for many scary long seconds. Kicked by feet and pulled the steering chords apart like told in the short training class and it finally opened!
    The time before that I landed HARD in a cow pasture and got dragged before I remembered to pull one side.
    Was about to go for a third time in the clunky old Cessna when for some reason the last jump of the day got scrubbed!
    I never went back and lost all that money for all the pre-paid jumps.

skydiver likes this.
  9. skydiver

Worth doing at least once in your life.
    Another thing crossed off the "bucket list" of things to do someday.

Quacky88 likes this.
  10. Scvette

What are the rules for jumping out of a plane,my 23 yr old daughter is a pilot,can she take me up? Of course this is after I try it,if I like it can she take me up?

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

gravity is a constant.. of course! lol

12. skydiver

Not a good idea for several reasons. Some of which are illegal without filing a notem and plane modifications and pilot training.

13. Scvette

I'm sure she knows all that,she's going for a commercial license,I was just wondering and figured you would know. It would have been cool to be able to though. I'll be going with the guys up in Shelton when I go.

skydiver likes this.
  14. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Been a few times to Skydive Oregon. My wife also went last year. Lots of fun. Pay for the video man so you have a record of it.

15. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

Hey Skydiver 600 jumps!!?:s0001:B.A. Man... Don't like the malfunctions part glad to hear your skills saw you through. I'll worry about an addiction after the chute opens. When my Buddy told me about it in my head I was thinking **** NO, but it came out **** YES lets do it! Our other buddy says no way he's doing it, but we'll break Em' yet. Thanks for great responses guys had a laugh and starting to get excited now. It's definitely on the bucket list of things I gotta do...We're set to go in 2 weeks somewhere outside of Vegas.

My best man is paying so I don't know if he got the video package I'll have to ask him. We're starting the trip with the jump so we can celebrate being alive the rest of the trip..:s0090:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    skydiver likes this.
  16. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The hardest part/biggest rush is that split second you are in the doorway. After that you can appreciate how any livestock/cars/etc look like ants getting bigger as you fall. It was a rush but there is no reference to tell you how fast you are falling (about 120mph iirc). When I went it was a last minute thing and a friend called from the place telling me that they were a person short for the group discount and I only had about 30 min to get there. The motorcycle ride to the place was a bigger adrenaline rush than the jump but then again I was pushing 150 on the bike and you can see how fast you are going as you blast past telephone poles and slow moving traffic. All in all it was a blast!
    Hope you enjoy your jump

17. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

It's a good time, but over too fast. I've been once so far. Jumped tandem with a woman, she did a great job, soft landing on our feet. Would definitely do it again, but it is expensive,,,

skydiver likes this.
  18. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Did you hear about the guy who skydived for the first time, and after jumping out of the plane completely forgot what to do.
    As he was falling towards the ground, he saw a guy shooting past him the other way.
    "Do you know anything about parachutes" he yells, as the guy zooms past.
    "No I don't." "But hey, know anything about Coleman stoves"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  19. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Statistically speaking... Jumping out of a plane (with a working paracute) is much cheaper and less dangerous than getting married....

Just sayin'

Quacky88, oknow and skydiver like this.