Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SKS won't cycle

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jasparseed1@yahoo.com, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

I have not posted much, bought a gun on here or one of the gun sites, SKS and went up with kids last week-end to do some plinking and it would not cycle, pretty sure its the spring, but have not taken an SKS apart, is it much of a problem and are the springs readly available, any help would be greatly appricatated...........Thanks in advance Ray

2. toobigtofail

toobigtofail PDX Member

3. wheretheheckami

wheretheheckami Vernonia, OR Member

Do you mean it fires as a single shot? Is it a yugo? If so, check the gas block and move the selector to the right.

4. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

Make sure after you load it and the bolt is still back that you pull the bolt all the way back and "let it ride home" as in just let it go. I've noticed this happen when less experienced shooters were firing my SKS. And if It's a yugo then try what WHERETHEHECKAMI suggested as they were designed with a gas cut off to fire grenades.

5. tonyspdx

tonyspdx Gresham, OR Member

the piston might be leaking gas past the seal. paint a thin layer of nail polish on the piston head on the gas block end. This will seal the gas block just enough to cycle the rifle and still let it move freely.

6. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Give YouTube a little search for SKS instructional vids. There are TONS of short videos devoted to almost any brand of gun, both for simple maintance/disassembly and for troubleshooting. Lots of sharing devotees have posted about their favorite weapons there........................elsullo :thumbup:

7. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

I will look it over and tear it apart and see what I can find, I will be back when I get it done./ Ray