JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone talks a lot about which gun they think is the best for survival, but nobody seems to be able to come to a conclusion on which will be best for TEOTWAWKI. These guns listed always seem to be in the top running for one reason or another, but which realistically would you choose if you could only have one?

What's your ideal long run weapon and why? Pistol? Rifle? Rimfire?

For me it would have to be the 10/22. Ease of use, ease of cleaning, very little has gone wrong with mine in the many years that I've had it. Cheap and plentiful ammo, you can buy parts for them dang near anywhere, light, accurate, the list goes on and on.

All Zombie and Road Warrior fantasies aside, real survival is run-hide and eat what you can when you can find it. The 10/22 wins hands down in my book. You can carry at least 6,000 loose rounds in a regular .50 caliber ammo can, and that's 6,000 meals.

Keith

AK for me. They are more reliable than they should be, and I don't know if it's me but every .22 I have owned always has an FTE at least once out of 60 rounds and I don't want to be stuck trying to fiddle with ejecting it while some zombie is gnawing at my leg. If it wasn't a zombie apocalypse and I was just out in the boonies then I would definitely take a 10/22 because who cares if it FTE when hunting for food, the bullet's already on target (hopefully). My $.02

I second the 10/22, but my M1A is my go to gun, the other thing to consider is which type of firearm to do you have lots of trigger time with, a gun is a piece of metal unless you know how to use it, maintain it etc. The idea of battlefield pick ups and resupply is laughable at most, your not an infantry platoon and stealth is your most valuable asset. if your all by yourself then its different, but in my case the daughter gets the 10/22 shes deadly with it, the wife the AR, and for me Ill take the M1A, we all have lots of trigger time with them and I think it solves all our problems of stealth vs. manstopper, vs penetration against cars etc. just my two cents.

ER: People will take one look at those alpacas of yours and run away squealing like stuck pigs. They'll never get to meet your ferocious-looking dogs, let alone come within range of the guns. Zombies would be wise to pass your house up completely. :D

Heck, a guy might just as well forget about buying guns and just buy all kinds of ammo. Be plenty of guns laying around in a SHTF but not much ammo.

jj

Heck, a guy might just as well forget about buying guns and just buy all kinds of ammo. Be plenty of guns laying around in a SHTF but not much ammo.

jj

Good point.

Col Moore: Think maybe you aught to get yourself that M-16.

SGM Plumley: Time comes I need one, sir, there'll be plenty of 'em lying on the ground.

If I had to pick from that list I would go with the 10/22, just becouse it is a 22lr.

I think a 22lr is the best choice, but the 10/22 would not be the one I would pick. I would go with eather the marlin 39A or a savage model 24 with 20 gauge over 22lr.

nearly anything will work, as long as you can hit whatever you are aiming at they are all ideal, and none are perfect. I wish this fantasy, video game mentality would stop.

The .22lr is by far the most versatile caliber. You can hunt anything from squirrels to deer with it. Most food opportunities will involve small game such as birds or rodents, and a .30 caliber weapon wont feed you like a .22 will.

Charles those are secret Ninja trained llamas, once a covert project of Peru and the CIA, And there are newer meaner crazier dogs to deal with. S.......hows the sks doing?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top