JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Those that know me, know I have been a big fan of the SKS rifle and model variants.
Not only that but I have had my hands on the pulse of the SKS and parts industry over the last 12 years. I have some very close friends who operate large parts sources for these rifles.
And being most parts are not coming into the states and the rifles have stopped along time ago, there is somethings that are news worthy.

The above isn't news, what is news, is these large operators in Texas and AZ are closing their doors in 2019 and will no longer be selling parts as an out source.
Most may not be aware but a handful on businesses, deal in large quantities of SKS parts.
And there has been a huge surplus since the 1990's and with millions of rifles and billions of parts it was not really noticed and slowing down until about 2007, when Obama scare pushed the SKS up in price.

With these parts houses drying up according to people I know in that business, they say by 2021 there will be no parts on Ebay or anywhere, there are many who horde these parts like they did 22LR I am one of them in a small way trying to collect as many small parts as possible.

So why did this happen so fast, after all the SKS is nothing super amazing? The truth according to suppliers is the old supply and demand. The SKS went up in price, more bought them, more wanted parts and the rise was on. Problem, their was no real imports to support it, unlike Canada whom has a nice flow of parts and rifles we have basically none. The other issues were in 2007 these rifles could still be had for under 200.00 so they were being bought at a fast pace, after about 10 years we manage to dry up most parts houses. If you do happen to find parts, these are resellers who bought SKS 10rd mags for 5-10 and are selling them now for 60.00 and up. Other parts are becoming very slim is bolt parts. There are a huge supply of wood stocks floating around for around 15-20 but even these are on the rise.

If you have a SKS keep it, it is predicted according to suppliers the SKS could break the 500.00 for an average SKS in just a few more years, depending how fast reselling parts dry up. And with parts houses closing this part of their business it could be much sooner.

My first semi auto was an SKS. I liked that platform a lot over the AK. I always thought I'd own another. Maybe one day I'll pick up another.

It should be noted, that this was a popular rifle to add multiple mods too, maybe only third to AR's and 10/22.
This as well changed parts and value as parts get lost and numbers not matching makes a bigger and bigger difference every year.

I've owned a few...shot a bunch of them and had them shot at me...:eek::D
They are a great rifle with some history.
Also as noted they are getting harder to find...I would suggest that if you want one , snap it up now...as they are no longer being made or imported.
I would love to have a East German one ....but that is not very likely.
Andy

I've owned a few...shot a bunch of them and had them shot at me...:eek::D
They are a great rifle with some history.
Also as noted they are getting harder to find...I would suggest that if you want one , snap it up now...as they are no longer being made or imported.
I would love to have a East German one ....but that is not very likely.
Andy

Me too, been looking for decades, very illusive. Closest was an Albanian which are semi rare, as are VC take homes if one has one of those I hear they get top dollar, problem is proving their origins, other then no import marks there was not allot identifying them.
I am partial to the Yugos even though not chrome lined usually, I like the workmanship that and it has some nice additions.

I have owned a few Chinese SKS. Also a couple Russians. Sold them all but
one real nice Russian. Only shot it once.
DSC00072.JPG

odd the entirely opposite view when you have OPs experience making it more difficult to understand just how/what/why my model was prime example of FAIL.

The dud I had was one of the worst products of any kind I've ever had.
Not to bore on repetition of my own sad single rifle, yet even at the range I don't recall ever seeing one on the line.

They have to work for somebody out there.:cool:

odd the entirely opposite view when you have OPs experience making it more difficult to understand just how/what/why my model was prime example of FAIL.
The dud I had was one of the worst products of any kind I've ever had.
Not to bore on repetition of my own sad single rifle, yet even at the range I don't recall ever seeing one on the line.
They have to work for somebody out there.:cool:

Why I am not a Gun Smith I have worked on many a SKS, not just my own.
Most, but not all problems I have seen are when parts are mixed. The SKS is a odd bird I will give everyone that.
The stocks vary on weight and tolerances, as well do the entire firearm. Its very hard to mix parts, but sometimes they are fine. So when people need parts or decide to mod, the results can vary at times allot. A good example is Yugos, you can use Chinese parts on most firearms, but parts are often loose on a Yugo, that said using Yugo parts on others can have varied effects due to tighter tolerances on Yugos. The Russians seem to also be allot like the Yugos in tolerences. Some have difference style firing pins that may or may not work in all bolts. And bolts sold on Ebay one may never know for sure where it came. And after market pins I have seen snap and really mess up a bolt.

If numbers all match it should be very reliable, but switching parts that look like they fit is where I see a problem, and they can be off so small it take a Mic to see why it fails.

The following do not do well when mixed and matched.
Bolt and firing pin, gas tubes, 20rd Chinese fixed mags and some tens, Barrels, and some stocks take sanding to fit.
The results of the above often results in, failure to feed, or eject. Slam fires, misfires, or major head space differences.
There is a few smaller things but you get the point.

And the number one issue with SKS is cosmoline, FYI its a brown wax-like petroleum-based rust inhibitor, and in these rifles its as if they soaked them in it for a month and then heat dried them, because this stuff hides everywhere. The smallest amount can cause a rifle to not work well. Most over looked is inside the bolt, a new rifle actually should have the bolt dissembled and, and cleaned until near polished so the pin can slide easily. If not done and just soaked, a small amount can form a small seat to where the pin will gin light primer strikes, even though the pin moves freely.

Not sure of the circumstances on why so do not like the SKS, I do know they are very reliable just ask anyone at the receiving end they are accurate and a tough rifle. In a Bug out id prefer this over just about any other rifle, because it will still work even if other parts failed.

I have owned 2 Norico SKSs . One was a paratrooper model. They were reliable and had ok accuracy but kinda crude at the same time. Then picked up a mini 14 but I was never really happy with either semi's platform. Then purchased my first AR, a Daniel Defense ddm4v4 , this was 10 years ago. I traded in the mini 14 and a Magnum reaserch 10/22 and around $50 out of pocket. Seemed like a great deal to me. Anyways the SKS didn't do much for me after the first AR. But they sold at a profit.

If I was a collector I would have kept them . But my old firearms have Remington, Ruger and Winchester on them. I like seeing range reports and tales of people hunting with the SKS. And they have a spot in world history for sure.

I had a 1968 Norinco /26\ I paid $200 for and also an early 1970's Zastava 59/66a1 (I believe). The Zastava was electro-pencil force matched, beaten up all over and had lots of cycling problems. I did not trust that thing and I was happy to get rid of it. Other than the coolness factor, it was just big and heavy. The Norinco on the other hand, was a great rifle and 100% reliable. The the windage adjustment drum was immovable, and the upper handguard was loose (which really brought out my OCD) but I probably shouldn't have sold it.. If I ever find another blonde Norinco SKS with the screwed in bbl and matching numbers I might go for it. I love the chrome bores on those, they are so easy to clean, plus the ammo is dirt cheap. I never had the chance to fire a Russian SKS, they are supposed to be the best right?

A friend had an SKS that he wasn't happy with. He said it was a piece of junk that jammed all the time, and offered it to me for $50 (long time ago). I helped him tinker with it some, and found that it worked perfectly with the original fixed magazine, just not so well with the aftermarket 30 round detachable "USA" magazine. It turns out that it was the "USA" magazine that was a piece of junk that jammed all the time.

I have to wonder when I see people "sporterizing" guns like SKSs and Mosin-Nagants nowadays. Back when these guns were both cheap in kind of made sense. A broke kid could take his $75 SKS, add some cheesy tacticool to it, and have a wannabe AK. It's never going to be an AK, and in my opinion all that just detracts from a solid old rifle, but at least he could feel good about his cool rifle. Nowadays it makes no sense at all. For less than the cost of an SKS and some tactical junk, you can buy an AR or AK.

Same with a Mosin Nagant. Back when they cost $50 it made (some) sense to add a sporter stock and aftermarket scope mount. Now for less than the cost of a Mosin, plastic stock, and scope mount that you have to pretend to be a gunsmith and screw up a historical old rifle, you can buy a brand new hunting rifle that is lighter, more ergonomic, and far more accurate. I'm surprised that they even make that aftermarket junk for those rifles anymore.

I had a yugo I traded for an AK.

If left stock its a good rifle. You run into issues when trying to make it more like the AK. When the soviets replaced the SKS, they just went with a new design instead of modifying the old. As hard as it may be to believe, they typically have a reason for what they do. o_O

Want something like an AK or AR? Get an AK or AR. Leave the SKS unmodified.

I had a yugo I traded for an AK.

If left stock its a good rifle. You run into issues when trying to make it more like the AK. When the soviets replaced the SKS, they just went with a new design instead of modifying the old. As hard as it may be to believe, they typically have a reason for what they do. o_O

Want something like an AK or AR? Get an AK or AR. Leave the SKS unmodified.

This ^

The SKS was never intended to be a AK, or AR , so many try and are not happy with mods.
That extended 20/30rd etc is a death trap waiting to happen in my opinion. It takes precise modification to make it safe to use.
It may function but without other modifications its dangerous. Of course people use them all the time. The injuries it causes is
not usually death so its not something most are aware.

firearms are about the most ridiculous market I have ever seen. The speculation and fear mongering that drive prices up and down are nuts, and have no basis in reality, or at least in mine. I don't get why people even bother.

I never had a Mosin Nagant, SKS, or even an AK, and have absolutely no desire to get one at an inflated price, even if they will be gone for ever soon.

SKS was my first semi-auto rifle. Still have it many years later. I don't shoot it much, but do enjoy shooting it. While it's not my favorite rifle, it's a great rifle in it's own right and a piece of history. I will be keeping mine. I think I paid $100 for it 20+ years go. Glad to have it in the collection.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top