JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what about a Norinco SKS-D or -M model, or the pre-ban "Sporter" thats similar to these? factory modified to take AK magazines, seem to be an OK reputation given that these are Commercial exports and meant to be useful; I've read up on them and they seem to be OK, can be picky about magazine type, can be good to go...apparently less QC than the Military surplus versions...

From my "been there, done that" file:

Enjoy an SKS for what it is, a stripper fed, 10 shot carbine. You can spend all kinds of money trying to make it something it wasn't designed to be ( AK ), just to be disappointed that it doesn't quite work as well as you hoped it would.

I have had no trouble from my tapco 20rnd mags. I don't think I would do the "duck-bill-less".......seem like a little much. The 20rnd tapco mags work well enough by themselves and I don't think I would want to invest that much into an SKS.

I bought a couple of the 'duck bill' mags and they worked perfect.Sent 5 down range and the the other 20 rapid fire to test it.Perfect. Only had to shave a little off inside the well.

Now with that said,I don't believe that it is legal to just take out the stock mag and use the detachables without making other changes Yes? No?

Anyway I just decided to trade the sks mags for a couple AR mags and sold the sks thinking of an AK instead.

Enjoy an SKS for what it is, a stripper fed, 10 shot carbine.

I bought an SKS a couple decades ago and at the time I tried some of the metal 30 round detachable magazines. They would only hold 26 rounds and you had to have Supermans thumbs to get that many in. You could not fire a full magazine without multiple malfunctions. Took them to a gun show and traded them for a fixed 20 round magazine and a handful of stripper clips. Using the stripper clips I can reload faster and put more rounds down range than with the detachable mags and malfunctions caused by them. It is also easier to shoot from the prone position without the 30 rounder hanging down below the rifle.

what about a Norinco SKS-D or -M model, or the pre-ban "Sporter" thats similar to these? factory modified to take AK magazines, seem to be an OK reputation given that these are Commercial exports and meant to be useful; I've read up on them and they seem to be OK, can be picky about magazine type, can be good to go...apparently less QC than the Military surplus versions...

I've had good luck with them - they seem to like metal mags, but I have one that is bubba'd up a little and takes everything from drums to cheap polymer mags. Only think I would change (and may still if I get bored) is modifying or changing the bolt to allow easier mag changes since they lack a bolt hold feature (and the bottom of the bolt pushes back against a fully loaded mag).

As to the original post - I personally think that is one of the worst ideas to date for these guns. I personally never had any issues using the tapco 20 rounders and can't fathom why someone would chop them up and pay more for it. I had talked to someone about maybe making a sleeved insert to allow ak mag use one time, maybe even make a custom bolt to go with it - they told me the amount of money it would take to set up the manufacturing, etc. would kill any profit. Then someone comes out with this crap....and people buy it apparently lol.

I have an SKS that I bought a 30 round mag for. But I came up with a bunch of stripper clips and haven't even fitted the long mag into the gun. Doubt if I ever will. The stripper clips make it very quick and easy to load.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top