JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could not hit a 10" gong reliably with my SKS AT 100 yards. Tried a lot of different things. Maybe just the gun or me. Sold it for $400 and built a cheap AR. Hits to the 100 yd gong 9/10 time easy.

I think the Commies idea of a military weapon was it was better to have 1000 people with noisemakers then it was to have 10 marksman I've got a good friend who is in the Russian military in the 80s He's fond of saying that his AK couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, if you were standing inside the barn

Yeah, my old SKS could hit a man sized target at 100 yds, but not sure where on the target. That is what the Commies designed it to do. The AR is amazingly accurate for a military design. Makes more sense to buy a low end AR than an SKS with the SKS prices being what they are.

After many black guns I got the itch for an AK.
I bought a Maddi. And expected 6'' or bigger groups.
Stupid thing is a sub 2'' gun with Golden Tiger ammo.:D
I have a Maddi, with Tula your doing real good to keep all the rounds on a paper plate at 50 yards, It's pointless to even shoot at something 300 yards away.

I would like to have a good AK but have a hard time with the $1500 for a Krebs or the like. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to build one.

Yes Iron sights.
And I get the feeling you guys are gona make me regret my claim.:s0113:

Buy the way. I have an AR that doesn't jam.;)

I have no issue hitting a 6-8" gong every time at around 100+yards useing a non magnafied red dot mounted on the gas tube rail with my sks and it has the shorter barrel. No mods to the trigger or anything.

Potatoes anywhere closer then that are generally one shot hits.

I've never tried to shoot it out past 125.

Having said that, I emptied a friends AR with a 40 round mag in it as fast as I can get 10 rounds (all on target) out with my sks because of the recoil.

I have had problem child AR's too (I have owned quite a few, there are bound to be occasional problem children)

Most of them if you feed them well and keep them clean and oiled they will go thousands of rounds with nary a hiccup all the while shooting 2MOA or better.

You say that though and there is bound to be a commie gun fan boy that pops up and tells you how stupid it is that you have to clean and oil your inferior AR.

I am glad we have AK's, SKS's and AR's to compare and contrast. I mean if everyone likes the same thing we would have a pretty boring forum :D

I should shoot mine someday just to see if it works..?:D Naaaa I am gonna leave it new so one of you guys get it when I kick the bucket...

everyone needs an SKS. its so cheap to shoot there almost no reason not to have one. I've been waiting for a nicer Yugo to come along so I can jump on it. Still trying to convince the wife. ;)

SKS's are excellent rifles! Everyone should own one or more! The only one I have left was a combat weapon. It literally has no finish on the outside. It is Chinese, chromed bore, and I can't imagine a more reliable bang stick! Accurate, strong, easy to work on or modify. I keep mine in a folding stock with a thirty (actually 37 :)) duckbill mag that I fitted and now leave alone. I feed it with stripper clips, doesn't take long!
You can bet that I have all the original parts carefully stored too.

I tend to think of my self as a self proclaimed SKS enthusiast:s0003:, out of all the firearms we have these tend to have the same idea and feel as a Springfield does at a fraction of the cost. I find that the SKS is almost easier to do a field strip then an AK ( almost ).
I think maybe after reading all the responses what it probably is is 594/SB941 panic pricing.
Like we all saw with 22LR . I think people want to try and drive up prices to help there own cause. I doubt I will buy anymore unless prices stay at or below 300.00 .

I am not sure why people discuss accuracy, the SKS is a 200 yd firearm at best.
The 762x39 is really not a projectile that is good beyond that and is best at minus 150yd.
Maybe 75yd is the sweet spot. The SKS is not a sniper rifle and trying to shoot and make it one
will leave those disappointed. However at mid-range its a fine accurate shoot and at minus 200 I never have had issues.

Could not hit a 10" gong reliably with my SKS AT 100 yards. Tried a lot of different things. Maybe just the gun or me. Sold it for $400 and built a cheap AR. Hits to the 100 yd gong 9/10 time easy.

Well that had to suck! Mine will bust cans a 100m all day! Mine is really old though!

Don't want to bash the SKS; it's a great rifle/design, but most of the owners I've shared F/A information with had purchased an SKS as a collection round-out rifle. $300+ for a round-out rifle puts them out of my reach...the market may flatten-out unless the illegals and the gangsters keep buying them for primary rifles.

I got a NIB Norinko for $89 back in 1998; passed it down to a son in law....then I found NIB Yogo for $225 in 2003 or so, passed it over to a brother when I switched to a Mini 30 (my primary brush rifle for deer and bear).

Only a couple dudes had bought them as a primary for their collecton.

Don't want to bash the SKS; it's a great rifle/design, but most of the owners I've shared F/A information with had purchased an SKS as a collection round-out rifle. $300+ for a round-out rifle puts them out of my reach...the market may flatten-out unless the illegals and the gangsters keep buying them for primary rifles.
I got a NIB Norinko for $89 back in 1998; passed it down to a son in law....then I found NIB Yogo for $225 in 2003 or so, passed it over to a brother when I switched to a Mini 30 (my primary brush rifle for deer and bear).
Only a couple dudes had bought them as a primary for their collecton.

I only have one SKS, that is pretty much mint I seldom shoot. I by the way am not trying to hint or say the SKS is the be all rifle far from it. That said for price, and reliability and sheer toughness one would hard pressed to find a rifle close to normal pricing equaling it. I cant think of anything really around 350ish I would buy
compared to the SKS.

Yeah, my old SKS could hit a man sized target at 100 yds, but not sure where on the target. That is what the Commies designed it to do. The AR is amazingly accurate for a military design. Makes more sense to buy a low end AR than an SKS with the SKS prices being what they are.
Ouch. I can hit a man-size target at 100 with a Raven. lol

The price increase makes sense to me, as long as it's still lower than a VZ or AK. I think the SKS is a great gun on its own merits, but it's a simple gun, and once you start adding new features and accessories to make it on par with a VZ, you might as well have boughten something else.

Last Edited:
SKS's are excellent rifles! Everyone should own one or more! The only one I have left was a combat weapon. It literally has no finish on the outside. It is Chinese, chromed bore, and I can't imagine a more reliable bang stick! Accurate, strong, easy to work on or modify. I keep mine in a folding stock with a thirty (actually 37 :)) duckbill mag that I fitted and now leave alone. I feed it with stripper clips, doesn't take long!
You can bet that I have all the original parts carefully stored too.
Interested in this set up, the old strippers or the news ones? I think my ex tossed a bag of Yugo strippers because she had no clue what they were.I am still trying to set mine up where it's more suitable secondary for when things go south.

Brutus out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads