Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SKS gatling gun??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bolus, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Just Jim likes this.
  2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I don't care what it is, I want it.

x2ndxall, Slobray and bolus like this.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Reminds me of a gatling gun that someone built out of 10 10/22s. They just punted them all upside down in a gig, and used a crank to fire them as it turned.

4. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This reminds me of when I was young, 14. The time in the article fits pretty well with what memory I have. We had a neighbor who made small things on his lathe. The only thing I ever remember seeing though was this Gatling Gun. I don't know who "Karl J. Furr" is though. Paul Kuni had the gun in his possession and as far as I knew it was built in his basement, it may have been a collaborative effort. The gun HAS been fired though! Neighbor Paul brought the thing down to show dad one day, they loaded it up with fifty or so 22 shorts and fired them into an old stump in the back yard from 15'-20'. This was a rural town called Midvale 12 miles South of city center, Salt Lake City. Houses weren't THAT far away, though they weren't jambed close together either. LOL

Amazing, putting a name in Google, and having something from so far in MY past come up!

EDIT: I was curious of who Karl Furr was so I searched and came up with a phone number for a son, Douglas Furr. I was able to reach Douglas and had a nice long conversation. What a pleasure that was! Apparently there were a group of mechanical engineer type guys, including my neighbor Paul Kuni, that got together and built many of these guns. They worked at the Geneva Steel Plant in Orem Utah and would gather after work at the Furrs house. The Furrs, son and dad, are still building guns.

FurrThird1883Gatling23-1.JPG

This is a 1/3 scale Model 1883 Gatling gun on a brass field carriage made by the renown Karl Furr of Orem, Utah. Chambered in .22 short rimfire, this actually shoots and will fire up to 800 rounds per minute. Must be sent to an FFL dealer. 64 round Accles drum magazine. 18" diameter wheels with beautiful highly figured black walnut spokes, brass hubs, and brass tires. This is a very early Furr 1883 Gatling, serial # 09, and is signed on the bottom in engraving pencil "Made by, Karl J. Furr, No 9, Paul J. Kuni, Orem, Ut. 1969" in five lines. The barrel group measures 18 1/2" long not counting the tiller handle. 10 .22 caliber rifled barrels enclosed in a brass casing. The rear of the barrel group has two spirit levels for leveling the gun. This is not classed as a class III machine gun. If you can own a rifle, shotgun, or pistol, you can legally own this masterpiece in most states! The brass looks to have never been polished, and has a nice mellow mustard color. Really great, possibly unfired condition.

Price: $11,500.00

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    solv3nt likes this.
  5. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

If it really only brings $800-$1200 I would say that's a lot of fun for the money. The biggest issue I see is it would take up a lot of room

6. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Nah, it's barely bigger than that Coke can.

7. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Douglas Furr, really? Was his father an arborist?

x2ndxall likes this.
  8. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

just realized that they left the bayonet connectors on the barrels. Definitely needs the bayonets reattached.

Flopsweat and jbett98 like this.
  9. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Somewhere a liberal can't understand why he just wet his pants! :s0131:

Sstrand and MilitantBEEMER like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Make it electric and I want one!

11. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

bolus
    Do you remember the chariot race scene from "Ben Hur?"

Sheldon

12. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

Actually, I understand that they are trying to get Bruce Jenner to star in a remake of that movie . . .
    The title will be "Ben Her."

Sheldon

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    bakersman345 likes this.