JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a yugo SKS for many yrs. It's in good original shape, matching #'s, all the accessories, etc and I would like to keep it that way, but I have been thinking about purchasing another SKS to modernize and build up, but have some questions and looking for some advise.

Are any of the SKS models (Yugo, Norinco, etc) better for building up with kits than any other? I will want replace the drop mag with a removable large cap mag. I would like to install optics, bi-pod, collapsable stock... Which models work best for that? Are any models more accurate at longer distances (I know these are not super long range machines..)? Thoughts? advise?
Thanks all!

I've had a yugo SKS for many yrs. It's in good original shape, matching #'s, all the accessories, etc and I would like to keep it that way, but I have been thinking about purchasing another SKS to modernize and build up, but have some questions and looking for some advise.

Are any of the SKS models (Yugo, Norinco, etc) better for building up with kits than any other? I will want replace the drop mag with a removable large cap mag. I would like to install optics, bi-pod, collapsable stock... Which models work best for that? Are any models more accurate at longer distances (I know these are not super long range machines..)? Thoughts? advise?
Thanks all!
Spend the extra money and get one that uses AK mags.

Ya, I have read about trouble with the magazine conversions. Mag size aside, do some models work better with some of the stock conversion kits or is that not an issue? I like the idea of getting another hugo just for commonality of parts, but open to what ever will result in the nicest shooter in the end.

You dont want an M model that accepts ak mags, they are rarer and cost more,youd depreciate the value of the gun modifying it, regular Norincos would be your best bet, they are so plentiful & least expensive, your not hurting a war relic or collector piece.
Norincos are also chrome lined bores, this also make a better choice for a shooter

No gas block parts or gas leaks to contend with for the grenade launchers if you build a Norinco

difficulty with detachable Hi Cap mags are usually user error.....Hi Caps are after market, there is NO one size fits all , there were too many armories making SKS's in many different countries, a little custom fitting is required to make the Hi Cap mags and drums fit, the Korean 75rnd drums when custom fit run really well, better actually at rapid fire, they are single stack unlike the banana clip style that are double stack....there are How to custom fit SKS drums and mags on you tube, I made them

the only really reliable scope mounts to hold a zero is a side mount quick release or to mount a solid mount that you screw to the reciever....this requires drilling and tapping the receiver, and then a little custom fitting the stock to accommodate the scope mount. I used Choate's solid mount and am very happy with it

keep in mind once you add the hi cap mag you need to play the 922r game.
On a Norinco you need 5 US parts....the stock and hand guard is 2, the mag is 2 ...swap out the gas tube or there is a guy on ebay selling gas pistons he makes for $20, thats your 5 parts and your legal again.

stop trying to "modernize" the SKS. it's a losing proposition. it's not what it was meant to be. if you want to do that, buy an AK.

I say this as someone who really likes the SKS.

stop trying to "modernize" the SKS. it's a losing proposition. it's not what it was meant to be. if you want to do that, buy an AK.

I say this as someone who really likes the SKS.

well thats one opinion.....
SKS's fans are pretty stuckup on their guns & tend to think they have much more intrinsic value than they do, & that its sacrilegious to modify them...its a pretty small online community that seem to have one view of the SKS
They will also tell you no after market mags work leave your gun alone....I feel most do not know how to custom fit after market mags...they are not made from spandex, there is NO one size fits all
Dont worry what someone else thinks what an sks was meant to look like or was meant to be, its your gun do what you will with it
I say this as one who also really likes the SKS ....I have several sks's and a couple AK's & do not subscribe to the sheeples opinion

It's not that I think the SKS is sacred or something, simply that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The SKS (I own two) is what it is, and trying to make it something else puts a lot of money into a project that, in the end, is an SKS.

I agree with the idea of saving that money and buying an AK, if that's what you're trying to make....

well thats one opinion.....
SKS's fans are pretty stuckup on their guns & tend to think they have much more intrinsic value than they do, & that its sacrilegious to modify them...its a pretty small online community that seem to have one view of the SKS
They will also tell you no after market mags work leave your gun alone....I feel most do not know how to custom fit after market mags...they are not made from spandex, there is NO one size fits all
Dont worry what someone else thinks what an sks was meant to look like or was meant to be, its your gun do what you will with it
I say this as one who also really likes the SKS ....I have several sks's and a couple AK's & do not subscribe to the sheeples opinion

it's not about being a fanboy, it's more about having been there and knowing in hindsight what a waste of time and money it was to try to turn an SKS into something that it was never meant to be, trying to make it do things which it will never do well, no matter how many weird parts and modifications you throw at it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top