JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
had a little moment this morning that brought this topic to my mind. i had a rough weekend, got up kind of late this morning.. the little lady sweetly brewed up coffee knowing i was kinda short on time.. "aww thx bbgrl" as she hands it to me..

i take a pull from my cup and damn near spewed it all over the kitchen table..

"damn baby, did you skip some steps in the brewing method this morn?"

drops her face and says "yea, sorry"

"why?"

"i was impatient... i didnt think it really mattered.. but i can see that it obviously does!"

i didnt think it really mattered... i was speechless.

it matters. it always matters, but in our case it really matters, cuz we buy folgers pre-ground classic roast coffee... which is utterly unfit for human consumption without the following method employed. despite your disbelief reading these words right now- brewed well, it actually makes for a goddamn tasty cup of coffee. to such a degree that i personally dont think "good" coffee beans even really make much of a difference. for example, ive been gifted several bags of gucci coffee recently, and prepared the same way theres just not much improvement with the more expensive coffee. brewed drip and served straight, yes - better coffee does make the better cup. period. thats undeniable. but in my opinion, drip-brewed straight coffee is gross whether good or cheap beans. usually too sour/acidic for my taste. i can enjoy a good cup of black coffee, but it needs to be bloomed if nothing else, and salt and butter will always smooth out and enhance the flavor. imho.

but im sure even my method can yet be improved on. so im gonna post here, for anyone who may learn and benefit, add onto it, critique it, whatever, as well as open the topic for discussion in general. have a totally different method?? im all ears (eyes)

-water on
-ground coffee in french press
-fat pinch of salt into dry grounds - debitters the flavor
-dab of butter into dry grounds - softens flavor, adds some character. some say this is of little benefit if adding cream later, but i like it even with heavy cream
-boiling water off, let cool for half a minute. water temp should be just below boiling, not at boiling
-"bloom" the grounds - pour just enough boiled water into the press to make the grounds soupy, give it a stir, let set for a minute, stir again. this degasses CO2- which is acidic- making the finished coffee less acidic.
-finish pouring in water, give it all a swirl, press, pour into cup. i dont let steep any additional time, as blooming already opens up the grounds and additional steeping will just foul the flavor at that point

-heavy cream, fine grain sugar, stir, enjoy

and that my friends is more or less the best cup of coffee ive personally ever had. so far.

see room for improvement? how do YOU brew a goddamn excellent cup o joe?

-The B

Well, I'm glad you aren't "one of those....."
1655749781312.png

I'm EASY. Rrrrrright.......usually, instant is good enough for me. BUT, But, but.......I just had to get a Starbucks this morning.

Aloha, Mark

I took coffee very seriously up until I quit the stuff. Good coffee is good. Bad coffee is horrible!

In all honesty, I call BS to any form of brewing that makes preground Folgers taste good! ;)

Coffee is one of those "up to each individual" as far as how to brew or what beans to use.
I like strong / concentrated flavor, so I grind fresh beans and prefer to extract using some form of steam pressure thru the ground coffee. That's my preference if at home.
As far as brewing a pot of coffee, I find that a French press / cowboy coffee works well for providing a rich cup of coffee, but it's not as concentrated/rich as when steam is used.
Those are my preferred methods of creating a cup of coffee.

I took coffee very seriously up until I quit the stuff. Good coffee is good. Bad coffee is horrible!

In all honesty, I call BS to any form of brewing that makes preground Folgers taste good! ;)
so many people have called BS on my claims. i dont even get offended. cuz drinking IS believing.

i challenge anyone to try it and honestly tell me it isnt a damn good cup o coffee

Coffee is one of those "up to each individual" as far as how to brew or what beans to use.
I like strong / concentrated flavor, so I grind fresh beans and prefer to extract using some form of steam pressure thru the ground coffee. That's my preference if at home.
As far as brewing a pot of coffee, I find that a French press / cowboy coffee works well for providing a rich cup of coffee, but it's not as concentrated/rich as when steam is used.
Those are my preferred methods of creating a cup of coffee.
indeed i like a thick coffee also, which is why i press it. my problem with espresso/steam extraction is that theres no real practical way to bloom it, so you invariably end up with that tangy, acidic aftertaste i dont like

had a little moment this morning that brought this topic to my mind. i had a rough weekend, got up kind of late this morning.. the little lady sweetly brewed up coffee knowing i was kinda short on time.. "aww thx bbgrl" as she hands it to me..

i take a pull from my cup and damn near spewed it all over the kitchen table..

"damn baby, did you skip some steps in the brewing method this morn?"

drops her face and says "yea, sorry"

"why?"

"i was impatient... i didnt think it really mattered.. but i can see that it obviously does!"

i didnt think it really mattered... i was speechless.

it matters. it always matters, but in our case it really matters, cuz we buy folgers pre-ground classic roast coffee... which is utterly unfit for human consumption without the following method employed. despite your disbelief reading these words right now- brewed well, it actually makes for a goddamn tasty cup of coffee. to such a degree that i personally dont think "good" coffee beans even really make much of a difference. for example, ive been gifted several bags of gucci coffee recently, and prepared the same way theres just not much improvement with the more expensive coffee. brewed drip and served straight, yes - better coffee does make the better cup. period. thats undeniable. but in my opinion, drip-brewed straight coffee is gross whether good or cheap beans. usually too sour/acidic for my taste. i can enjoy a good cup of black coffee, but it needs to be bloomed if nothing else, and salt and butter will always smooth out and enhance the flavor. imho.

but im sure even my method can yet be improved on. so im gonna post here, for anyone who may learn and benefit, add onto it, critique it, whatever, as well as open the topic for discussion in general. have a totally different method?? im all ears (eyes)

-water on
-ground coffee in french press
-fat pinch of salt into dry grounds - debitters the flavor
-dab of butter into dry grounds - softens flavor, adds some character. some say this is of little benefit if adding cream later, but i like it even with heavy cream
-boiling water off, let cool for half a minute. water temp should be just below boiling, not at boiling
-"bloom" the grounds - pour just enough boiled water into the press to make the grounds soupy, give it a stir, let set for a minute, stir again. this degasses CO2- which is acidic- making the finished coffee less acidic.
-finish pouring in water, give it all a swirl, press, pour into cup. i dont let steep any additional time, as blooming already opens up the grounds and additional steeping will just foul the flavor at that point

-heavy cream, fine grain sugar, stir, enjoy

and that my friends is more or less the best cup of coffee ive personally ever had. so far.

see room for improvement? how do YOU brew a goddamn excellent cup o joe?

-The B
WOLVERINES!

There are levels - skillset required.

WOROL

TEOTWAWKI

F* It's a holiday? Since when did they close on holiday's.

I like to use a filter, which needs an extra step of pre-wetting the filter before coffee grounds are added.

I use the Aeropress also, but I prefer the permanent filter.

Two scoops of ground coffee
Stir back and forth for 15-20 seconds
Let sit for another 20 seconds.
Stir in a clockwise direction
Press the plunger.

If using my 20 oz tumbler, repeat process with the same grounds.

Sweeten with sugar and enjoy.

About 16 years ago I was about to give up coffee altogether as quailty had dropped considerably and prices were climbing at a stupid rate(sound familiar?)
I kept seeing comments on "roasting your own" so I decided to try it out. Fast forward to now and I am on my third coffee roaster due to the demand from family members. I also bought a really nice espresso machine about a year in to my home roasting that still produces the best tasting coffee I have ever had to this day. Pretty much ruined myself and every family member from ever buying store coffee or going to Charbucks ever again. I have green coffee from all around the world and we drink something different and uniqe each week. Even with inflation, it's still much lower cost to roast your own than buy coffee at the store.

Never understood this ritual like ultra-sensitive coffee brewing stuff at all.

Turn on espresso machine (or regular coffee maker). Add coffee. Add water. Done. No big deal and taste great if using good coffee.

Never understood this ritual like ultra-sensitive coffee brewing stuff at all.

Turn on espresso machine (or regular coffee maker). Add coffee. Add water. Done. No big deal and taste great if using good coffee.
is there nothing about you that is discerning/particular? i bet theres something you are particular about. there - now you have gained your missing understanding.

ill also add that my style is compliant with life at sea on a sailboat with limited space and AC electricity, or living on the road. ive spent not insignificant amounts of time at both. only equipment i need to make delicious coffee is the press, kettle, and possibly a little gas stove if no heat source is already available.

id suggest trying some well-made coffee.. you might be surprised. i used to have no discernment about my coffee... guess it seemed to me that "men dont get particular about such things" sorta thing. sure glad i got over all that and can allow myself to really enjoy things here in my midlife

is there nothing about you that is discerning/particular? i bet theres something you are particular about. there - now you have gained your missing understanding.

ill also add that my style is compliant with life at sea on a sailboat with limited space and AC electricity, or living on the road. ive spent not insignificant amounts of time at both. only equipment i need to make delicious coffee is the press, kettle, and possibly a little gas stove if no heat source is already available.

id suggest trying some well-made coffee.. you might be surprised. i used to have no discernment about my coffee... guess it seemed to me that "men dont get particular about such things" sorta thing. sure glad i got over all that and can allow myself to really enjoy things here in my midlife
You do you, but for me I think butter and salt belongs on popcorn not in coffee.

Nope, I like my coffee just the way it is, but then again I don't buy foo-foo coffees either.
I LIKE flavored coffee a lot. When I am someplace where I have to choose just plain coffee I have a pretty hard time noticing real difference. The plain old drip makers seem great to me. Other than one time trying some coffee that came from Mexico I would be hard pressed to tell one brand from another.
Years ago one time one kid had be try so coffee creamer sold under the Cold Stone name. Damn stuff was to die for good. Then I made the mistake of reading the label.:eek:
I could not pronounce most of the stuff and had no clue what it all was. Stuff needed to be kept refrigerated but looks to be a concoction of chemicals. It made me stop buying it. :(

I LIKE flavored coffee a lot. When I am someplace where I have to choose just plain coffee I have a pretty hard time noticing real difference. The plain old drip makers seem great to me. Other than one time trying some coffee that came from Mexico I would be hard pressed to tell one brand from another.
Years ago one time one kid had be try so coffee creamer sold under the Cold Stone name. Damn stuff was to die for good. Then I made the mistake of reading the label.:eek:
I could not pronounce most of the stuff and had no clue what it all was. Stuff needed to be kept refrigerated but looks to be a concoction of chemicals. It made me stop buying it. :(
i was into creamers before i learned how to make it tasty with my press routine. theres some pretty tasty ones out there, but theyre expensive, not always readily available when you realize at 23:00 that youre out of creamer and have to work early, and as you point out invariably chock full o garbage you dont want to consume

kind of a trick to all of this is the fact that those creamers contain salt, sugar, and lard - same stuff i put in my press coffee.

salt and butter are HIGHLY underrated food additives in general, ive kind of recently come to realize. i think our parents were told salt gave you high blood pressure and fat was fattening and cholesterol-raising, and so we all grew up with our food thin on both the stuff. but both of those myths have been debunked - fat is kind of fattening, by being high-calorie - but significantly less so than say sugar. the body doesnt metablize fat into fat - it metabolizes ALL food energy into sugar and then stores excess as fat. likewise, salt does not cause high blood pressure. it can cause temporary spikes in BP, so if one has uncontrolled high bp then maybe lay off the salt, but for everyone else its fine even in high doses.

and this is what ive learned - you know how goddamn scrumptious a rare ribeye is at a steakhouse, and youve likely wondered at times why it is their steaks are always so much better than what you can fry up at home even with a premium cut?

salt and butter - those chefs absolutely LOAD your steak up with obscene amounts of salt and butter. they salt multiple times while cooking, and then baste the sombisch in table butter once they take it off the heat. throw in a little skill with searing and knowing how to get a solid rare doneness, in the last year or so ive started serving up steaks every bit as delicious as a dry aged ribeye from Ringside..

salt and butter make EVERYTHING taste better my boys... coffee too.

Best Cofveve ever,
have the JP-8 truck stop by and do a "Fuel Sample" after fueling your Pave-Hawks and drain the sediment into your mess cup. Add two egg shells from the mess hall, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, and a couple shots of cheap hooch from the BX, strain through yesterday's Cofveve grounds and dump the remaining tar from the jug back into the machine with a can of coke and water, add the old grounds with new and brew till done! If the spoon stands up on its own, your good, if the spoon melts, add sugar, if the spoon bounces, add turbine oil, preferably used for the flavor! Enjoy!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top