JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the biggest things I believe goes understated in any survival plan is community. We need those of us with like minds and complimentary skills to coexist as it is, and it pays off in spades should we rely exclusively on each other. It goes last mentioned in any list I tend to see hitting mainstream when it comes to long term survival plans, though it is peaking its way through the clouds of gear and overpriced seeds or seminars.

Something I'd love to utilize this website for, perhaps even somewhat selfishly, is to help curate a community of people I'd trust if things went sideways. Being so close to Portland, I'm deep behind a majority groupthink and it doesn't agree with me, nor do I with it. Long gone and missed are the days when we could agree and disagree. Friends become an easy delineation from acquaintances. Given at least the circumstances I exist in, leaving isn't something I can achieve either in a hurry or wisely. So how do I ensure that I don't, or we don't find ourselves alone or alienated?

I have a lot I can offer for someone my age, being relatively young. I'm a maintenance worker and have done a lot (A LOT) in that field. I want to learn to hunt and hone my foraging skills. My fiancé and I are shooters and enjoy guns, though I think I do perhaps more than she does despite her acute aim. Politically I'm of a live and let live variety, but I'm ultimately a constitutionalist. Freedom is paramount, for all of us. Shall not be infringed leaves no room for error, but apparently we need "common sense" applied to it.

Common sense to me is reaching out here and putting myself both open and available. I can't have a community unless I'm willing to put in first. You get what you give, and the rest comes naturally in my experience.

We're about to enter an excellent foraging season and I'd love to meet others to learn with. There's a lot of skills I and my fiancé are interested in like homesteading and farming, or even learning how to more appropriately garden for our own food.

We're both keen on self defense and I believe that outside perspective is key to progressing yourself if you want to grow. I can do all the dry runs I want in my tiny apartment, and get down to a subsecond draw from concealment, but if I don't have another like minded person to work with I can't grow past a certain point.

I want to find myself a community. I find it is difficult in my general area given the topics at hand, but I think this could be a good spot for myself to try and hone some of that in for what I enjoy from here. Or hell, let this be a pivot for others.

It isn't about politics, it's about community. I fear it's something we're watching deteriorate before our eyes and I'm unsure how to get back into a healthy one nowadays.

I appreciate your youthful enthusiasm.

Whatever else you do, keep your group as small as possible. Bigger is definitely not better when trust is the most valuable asset.
If things really do go "bad" , I'd rather have 3 humans I would die for than 30 that seemed alright online.

Covid has brought out the narcissism in people, more now than ever. I would love to get a community together, sadly the opposite is happening.

Master-Po-Kwai-Chang.jpg

No really it's going to be difficult to make good decisions during the reset, glad I am not 30.

I guess my best point is learn to adapt to lots of changes if you can.
You're not wrong there. We've both been feeling the squeeze. It took me a long time but I've been coming around to wanting kids. I'd homeschool, 100% without a doubt. What makes it difficult is even when we both have good paying jobs, she can't be a stay at home woman. Rent is too dang high, we eat too well (organic, not too much food) and just bills. It isn't like it was when I was growing up where my dad worked and my mom stayed home. I have no idea how they made that work.

So we've been focusing on skills for now. Last time we went camping she got to put all of her firemaking skills to the test and succeeded. She'd never been camping and doing camp crafts like that until she met me, so it was really fun to watch her pick that skill up and succeed.

You're not wrong there. We've both been feeling the squeeze. It took me a long time but I've been coming around to wanting kids. I'd homeschool, 100% without a doubt. What makes it difficult is even when we both have good paying jobs, she can't be a stay at home woman. Rent is too dang high, we eat too well (organic, not too much food) and just bills. It isn't like it was when I was growing up where my dad worked and my mom stayed home. I have no idea how they made that work.

So we've been focusing on skills for now. Last time we went camping she got to put all of her firemaking skills to the test and succeeded. She'd never been camping and doing camp crafts like that until she met me, so it was really fun to watch her pick that skill up and succeed.
I was married 40 years and didn't need my wife to work to make ends meet, she worked doing what she liked to do.

Those were different times and inflation along with the way the elite are running the world won't allow a middle class lifestyle.

What will help is learning to do home, auto and health repairs on your own stuff.

My next point is learn the value of everything, there is money all around you just waiting to be used to make more money.

Like I said, the answers are inside you. :s0093:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads