JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's why I stay the hell off the Willamette! Even down in the multonoma channel, you get so many idiots who don't know the first thing about running a boat, anchoring, un-buttoning, ect. It's so frustrating and dangerous! I had a dude trying to pull his anchor, ran right along side us and pulled three rods worth of my gear into his anchor line, and buried all 9 hooks in his line! I had to spend 1/2 an hour cutting and saving a couple hundred dollars of gear! He then motors off snagging his anchor line right into his screw while trying to lift it with the bouy, busted the screw all to hell, wiped out his lower unit, and lost his entire anchor system below the bouy! Lol
I have had others drift right down on top of me while I'm anchored up, forcing me to un-button and reel in every thing to keep from getting swamped! Watched a couple dudes drift right into a wing dam and flipped out of the boat, by the time every one close got unbuttoned and reeled in and motors fired up to go try and assist, they all drowned! :eek::eek::eek:
Believe me, stupid isn't just limited to Wake boarders and Ski boats, there are fishing dudes who should never be allowed near a boat let alone at the helm of one!

That's why I stay the hell off the Willamette! Even down in the multonoma channel, you get so many idiots who don't know the first thing about running a boat, anchoring, un-buttoning, ect. It's so frustrating and dangerous! I had a dude trying to pull his anchor, ran right along side us and pulled three rods worth of my gear into his anchor line, and buried all 9 hooks in his line! I had to spend 1/2 an hour cutting and saving a couple hundred dollars of gear! He then motors off snagging his anchor line right into his screw while trying to lift it with the bouy, busted the screw all to hell, wiped out his lower unit, and lost his entire anchor system below the bouy! Lol
I have had others drift right down on top of me while I'm anchored up, forcing me to un-button and reel in every thing to keep from getting swamped! Watched a couple dudes drift right into a wing dam and flipped out of the boat, by the time every one close got unbuttoned and reeled in and motors fired up to go try and assist, they all drowned! :eek::eek::eek:
Believe me, stupid isn't just limited to Wake boarders and Ski boats, there are fishing dudes who should never be allowed near a boat let alone at the helm of one!

This, sadly, is why I don't mind the mandatory boater ed program to operate a power boat.

When I was younger a ski boat could be had for $ 3,000 or less. This is back in the late 70's earl;y 80's. You could go out and buy some fiberglass hull with one of there temperamental sons of bi*ches on it.

DSC00016.4385744_large.jpg

Damn things when they ran were great engines, but I worked on a friends enough to make me scream. Put them on a cheap boat like this and we were skiing real fast

th?id=OIP.ugCQGNi54CAuafRtA4khiAHaDK&pid=15.jpg

When a friend stepped up and bought a new Kona hull with an injected 150 Merc on it, we thought our boat had come in.

Now for fun, you could ski behind these boats, the big block Olds 455 was a popular engine in them. You could ski behind them, but the problem with these, is they sound so damn good, I had my foot in them all the time and the 455's and 454's sucked gas real fast.

978d4fd2846ae02d3d5ba6d96e70ac05--vintage-ski-vintage-cars.jpg

I was a crew guy on one of these back in the day, we ran some drag boat circuits up and down the west coast one summer. I had one like this one at 90 mph running into a slight wind and pulled the front end up about 45 degrees and about sh*t. That was enough for me, and I stayed turning wrenches. That was one of the funnest summers I ever had. Unbeknownst to both of us my wife and I were at several of the same events and parties in Red Bluff and Redding 12 years before we met.

328dcf6c1d4fd76e6f9fdbd4cefffde1.jpg

I know some guys who have the "premium boats" as they call them and they spend the same or more on a pickup to tow them. Each to his own, but 80 to 90K buys me a nice Cessna 182 RG.

This, sadly, is why I don't mind the mandatory boater ed program to operate a power boat.
Brother, even that dosnt work!
This guy I know, about 80 years old, wears hearing aids, old school hot rodder, street racer novice fishermen. He buys this aluminum sled that some one had built in their garage. Heavy as hell, and under powered with a 90 hp mercury outboard jet! He wants to go fast, but the boat is way to heavy for the motor, so he blows a big wad on a brand new 300 HP Zuki prop. He dosnt know crap about boats, especially Sleds, so he invites me and a few of my buddies to go out and show him how to run it! He wants to go Sturgen fishing down around Kelly Point park, which is a No no! None the less, we put in at St. John's, and motor down stream dead slow due to the pre dawn and heavy fog. No radar, no real lights, only luck and that I know that river very very well, I know there is a YUGE wing dam dead ahead and I'm yelling for him to turn out into the channel, after he stuffs the brand new stainless prop in the sand and mud from running too close to shore, he finally turns the wheel. Some how we make it down around the dam and the point and start motoring up along old Terminal 6 toward where he wants to fish. Still foggy as hell, and we get the triple horn blast of a big boat some where in the fog. This time I elbowed him off the helm and Yanked the wheel and Jambed the throttle forward heading toward the dock, knowing I'm ether gonna hit before I see it, or miss it and end up in the Tug Bowl! Just as we cleared the bowl, here comes a barge and tug! :eek: he looks at me and the rest and starts to open his mouth, I told him to STFU and listen, turn up the hearing aids, what ever! After we all cooled off we taught him to anchor up, and all the other basic skills, and then fished for a couple hours. On the way back to the launch, he wanted to see how fast his sled would go, big red flag for me, especially with a big azz Zuki on the transom, That sucker would not get up on plane no matter the engine speed, would caviatate wickedly, and nearly hit 30 MPH!!! We shifted a ton of weight aft, and it sorta helped a little, but not enough! That was also the last time I ever tried to help a new boater, and the last time I ever went out on that dudes boat! That was super dangerous! I should have never agreed to go out with him, and never let him run the boat first trip out like that!

Last Edited:
Oyveh, $$$ but no brains, bad combo. Gramps shudda bought a canoe and stuck to pond fishin.

Have had other hair raising times on the river. Worst was running the Willy above Newberg on step, water went from 20' to 4 feet on the sonar without warning. Before I could turn out into deeper water BAM, a submerged rock ate one whole ear off the prop, mangled the other two. Limped into shallower water, real damn thankful the rock was not taller, as we were in a plywood hulled boat, not a metal job. Thankfully it didn't destroy the lower unit, bend the shaft, or cause any worse damage. We got the spare prop on and headed back for the ramp post haste.

Nothing is worse for a bass fisherman than wake boarding boats. You have your back to the main lake and you're standing up in your boat. Then some koch-monger in a ski boat can't have the courtesy to not plow through the water within 20 yards.

HAHA remind me to tell you a story next time I see you. Its funny!:D

when i was a kid, we had one of those flying manta ray tubes... combined with a tower im talkin 25 feet off the water. brother, it HURT when youd wipe out too.

last i heard, theyve been outlawed since.

heres an example i found on youtube:

Oh hell ya!! We used to look for the biggest boat and swing the tuber into its wake. :D

Sled drivers are guilty too, I are one!:p
Any beach next to a boat ramp is going to have a turbine hole, and you gotta be real careful else wise you go to get in yer boat and the bank drops off and ya go swimmin trying to shove off! Don't ask me how I know this! :D:p

I've got a story. Well the azzzhole brother I always refer to, he had that Aluminum high dollar boat. We were at owyhee lake a few years back. Our now 6 year old was a small baby. Wife and baby were up on the shore sitting relaxing. Well azzzhole brother backed up that worthless boat up by the beach and proceeds to hit the throttle. Yes, small gravel nails my wife and baby. I mean super super dangerous situation. Well my wife who is very very cool laid back and fun looses her sheeeet. On my azzzhole brother. Lucky he didn't loose a eye.

Sounds like she shudda sunk his battleship!
Lol! Very true. That jet slung rock for days. I was out on the other boat when it happen. Funny other part to the story. Azzzhole has his high dollar ski boat out there also. Lol!!!! Well he decides to have my so cal raised brother in law man that fishing boat. Hahahaha! He don't know sheeet about anything. Just lifting weights. Litterally!! He runs that fishing boat up the azzz of that ski boat! And tears crap up! That was one of the greatest days of my life right there.

Last Edited:
i learned to wakeboard at mayfield lake in WA. parents took us all there for camping. maybe youve been there? that lake is like glass.

Nope but story's for days about boating and the idiots you run into. I just about killed a jet skier that ran between the boat and my ex sister in law while she was tubing. My buddy was rolling on the floor laughing when I caught up to the dude and proceeded to rip him a new one. I asked him what was so !@#$ funny. He said you should of seen the look on that guys face he thought he was going to die!:D

Nope but story's for days about boating and the idiots you run into. I just about killed a jet skier that ran between the boat and my ex sister in law while she was tubing. My buddy was rolling on the floor laughing when I caught up to the dude and proceeded to rip him a new one. I asked him what was so !@#$ funny. He said you should of seen the look on that guys face he thought he was going to die!:D
i probably would think i was gonna die if i saw you mad too. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads