JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy Todd Benders video "Winning with the Fundamentals in Skeet" (or something like that) and watch it 5 times. This will tell you how to select a gun that fits you without having an expert gun fitter. It will also give you the fundamentals on safety, ammo, proper stance mechanics, proper sight picture, head on gun, eye on target, and proper lead. It goes through a whole skeet round and lets you see what the gun picture looks like with an eye cam in fast and slow motion. Well worth the bucks as it will save you from buying the wrong gun and wasting a ton of ammo/clays.

Most any 12 gauge with interchangeable choke tubes will work (except possibly a side by side). A Mossberg 500 will do fine as long as it fits you and you get the proper sight picture, although you may be handicapped with doubles using a pump (too slow--skeet is a very fast game). I prefer Benelli legacy or legacy sport autos but generally do a bit better with an over under (Browning Citori) than with an auto.

Pick one kind of ammo (1/18 oz shot, 8 shot, highest velocity you can find) and buy a lot of it. Changing ammo will mess you up.

Lots of practice goes a long ways, as with any other shooting sport.

I started shooting skeet in 1978 when I was stationed at Chanute AFB Ill. It was at the Rod and Gun Club and there were some great shooter there. While learning from them they steered me toward an 1100 Skeet and I've still got it. Many thousands of rounds later and that O-Ring is still working. I have a replacement in the case but I always clean my shotgun after shooting and it's kept the gun and the Oring in perfect shape. My 14 year old son is shooting trap, Skeet and Running Clays with his high school FFA shooting team. They have taken Oklahoma State championships for 3 years straight. Finding a good coach is very important in learning how to shoot well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top