JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So with the same number of rounds fired which is most apt to need gunsmithing first the Colt or the Smith? Is the Colt or the Smith more difficult to work on?

jj

So with the same number of rounds fired which is most apt to need gunsmithing first the Colt or the Smith? Is the Colt or the Smith more difficult to work on?

jj
The mechanisms are similar so they would be about the same as far as labor goes. Parts would be easier to find for the S&W since it is still in production...but you can still get parts for teh Colt too.

Interesting, I have owned D frames in the past and have worn out a couple of them . Colts that I owned the lock up had the hand against the cylinder when the gun fired so the hand was the first part to wear out. Colts always took more hand fitting to replace parts because you had to fit a new hand to old parts. Plus since lock up was against the hand timing had to be perfect by fitting parts perfect.

Never had that problem with Smiths, their lock up is on the bolt when the gun fires. Small Smiths take alot longer to need repairs in my expearience but then that is just me I guess.

jj

edited to add,

You are not going to find many gunsmiths who can fit parts in a colt right so the exspense is going to be ugly when work needs to be done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top