JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is another reason why SB554 is a very bad law. At least one Teacher, Principal or Staff member be armed at all times. "OMG Nick, would you have a teacher shoot one of her own students?" If doing so would save my kid, hell yeah!

Where I come from it is... YMMV.
Where are you from that grade schoolers bringing guns to school and shooting people is "very common"? And how is it that the rest of us don't hear about it all the time then? I mean, if it was so common wouldn't it be in the news every day? Perfect fuel for the antis. But it isn't, so it isn't. You implying such really does more harm than anything else.

Last Edited:
We NEVER had these atrocities back then. So what changed? Not the guns.
Yes we did. The percentage of accidents and suicides by population are the same and hasnt changed. What has changed is now kids are learning from the media they can take out their frustrations on society by just taking parents unsecured guns to school.

I've ALWAYS thought that if there's kids in the house the guns should be locked up. Nothing will ever change my mind on that, no matter how many people claim their kids are "responsible" and "know better". Because......well.....that's fantasy BS. No offense to anyone's kids here, but I'm done hearing phrases like they're really a "good boy" or "good girl" or they're "smarter" than other kids. Kids are kids. And they NEED parents to intervene and keep potential danger at least somewhat insulated from their curious minds and social media games. How many "good kids" did the Tide Pod challenge? Shoot, how many kids just do dumb arse sh** for no good reason? LOTS.

I bought my first "safe" when my daughter turned one. I've had one ever since.

But I will NEVER EVER support .gov telling us what's best for US.
^^^this needs to be repeated.
someone who says their kids never would are not the parents of other peoples kids and are only hurting the gun rights community by telling other gun owners to just teach their kids. This is why SB554 was combined into a "safe storage" bill...... we can win any gun control debate by logic except the safe storage debate.

I understand and agree with safe storage when you have kids in the house. My Dad hid his loaded handgun on his top closet shelf under a towel. When he wasn't home, my brothers and I would get it out and play with it. Luckily, we did not have a negligent discharge into one of us.

My Dad hid his loaded handgun on his top closet shelf under a towel. When he wasn't home, my brothers and I would get it out and play with it.
Dad didn't have a loaded gun in the house, but his S&W 28 was in his desk. When he wasn't home my brother and I waited until he came home and then asked to look at it, like he asked us to do.

Not true, in fact the worst school massacre, in terms of numbers, occurred in 1927. What we didn't have was a media and politicians using it to push an agenda.
We also have way more people now so more likelihood of these things happening. In 1950 we had less than half the population we do now.

when I was a kid growing up, my neighbor had a drunk dad. We used to "borrow" his gun all the time and go shoot at the rock quarry by our house. 15 minute bike ride. Now, this rock quarry has since gone and is a subdivision.
That being said, we had "borrowed" his dads gun on multiple occasions to shoot around at the quarry and high-tail it after a couple of rounds. We never brought the gun to school or shot up a grocery store.

That being said, times have changed and kids are raised different back then.

I'm all for safe storage and I think it's our responsibility as firearm owners to make sure the only ones who can access our guns is ourselves. BUT, I am 100% against .gov regulating this and forcing us to do so. Everyone's situation is different. In my house it's just me and the fiancé. We both are law abiding gun owners. I don't see a problem with my loaded rifles / handguns around the house. These are strategically placed for SHTF or what-have-you.

if I had kids, they wouldn't be in the places they are right now.

"common sense" starts at the home. Not the government level. Anything that the government pushes as "common sense" is an oxymoron

when I was a kid growing up, my neighbor had a drunk dad. We used to "borrow" his gun all the time and go shoot at the rock quarry by our house. 15 minute bike ride. Now, this rock quarry has since gone and is a subdivision.
That being said, we had "borrowed" his dads gun on multiple occasions to shoot around at the quarry and high-tail it after a couple of rounds. We never brought the gun to school or shot up a grocery store.

That being said, times have changed and kids are raised different back then.

I'm all for safe storage and I think it's our responsibility as firearm owners to make sure the only ones who can access our guns is ourselves. BUT, I am 100% against .gov regulating this and forcing us to do so. Everyone's situation is different. In my house it's just me and the fiancé. We both are law abiding gun owners. I don't see a problem with my loaded rifles / handguns around the house. These are strategically placed for SHTF or what-have-you.

if I had kids, they wouldn't be in the places they are right now.

"common sense" starts at the home. Not the government level. Anything that the government pushes as "common sense" is an oxymoron

It parenting and values and individual kids more than availability. Having had access my entire cognizant life growing up from 10 years onward, but no issues, even after multiple fist fights and heartbroken teenage relationships (unrelated), the simple issue is not the access, because if there is a will to kill/harm others, they wont limit themselves to guns. Kids in Ireland/UK are still getting stabbed to death.

Why now? When I was a kid decades ago, there were no gun locks, no gun safes/cabinets, everyone I knew had guns under beds and in closets. I had my own .22 rifle and 12ga shotgun in my room when I was 16, my high school friends theirs too. I remember guns in cars in the high school parking lot, teens going shooting or hunting after school.

We NEVER had these atrocities back then. So what changed? Not the guns.

Big Pharma pushing their mind-altering drugs. Hip-Hop rap lyrics and violent video games and movies glorifying killing. And fatherless families. But they never talk about those, just guns, guns, guns. And now they want all drugs, even coke, meth, and heroin, legalized. :mad:

Yes, lock them up. The bubblegum is getting deep. :(

Yer right Goose. In high school the seniors could all drive to school, and the other classes could too, but you had to have a reason (WY kids could drive at 14). The parking lot was full and every PU had a rifle rack. 25 percent had rifles.The local grocery store literally down the street sold pistols, rifles and shotguns as well as ammo. Nearly every kid took hunter safety. You could take a quarter of marksmanship instead of gym. Same for Archery. In our house ammo was locked up. Guns were in the 2 cases and on wall racks. There was a 12 gauge in the coat closet and a box of buck on the hat shelf. We never had an issue. Our friends were scared to death of my father.

When mine were young I got cabinets and I kept everything in our bedroom in locked gun cabinets. I didn't trust their friends, so I just kept doing it til they were out of the house except for their 22s, and Wyoming is serious gun country. They never got any handguns until after they moved out.

We were always armed out of the house and usually there was a rifle in the truck too. My kids and their friends judgement seemed not the same as ours was when we were young. I am sure our parents thought the same of us.

My sons and I have had this conversation and by the the time their first kids 1st b-day they had cabinets or safes. They say the same. That the kids today just aren't to taught to respect firearms, rules, or authority. The schools scare the bjesus out of them, and they are all trying to figure out how to homeschool now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads