JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a daughter in 6th grade right now, so this hits home. Jr High kids are just mean to each other, and their brains are scattered, confused and disorganized so I understand how much pain they can inflict on their peers. SB 554 is a pile of steaming crap, but people need to take resposibility for their kids and guns and lock them up (both of them sometimes, but in separate rooms) or storage laws are going to keep getting worse.
Is it just me or does it seem like kids are growing up faster and faster, at least in some respects? 6th grade...man, she should be exploring the world and having a good ol' time - school isn't even all that serious at those levels.

How can a 6th grader be so angry and so hurt that murder becomes an option?

Everyone thinks their kids are smarter or know better or are more "special" than other kids. I hear it all the time from proud parents. But even "good kids" do dumb stuff. Do I trust my daughter 100% to leave guns laying around? Nope. The only
person I trust 100% around MY guns is ME.

SB 554 is a pile of steaming crap, but people need to take resposibility for their kids and guns and lock them up (both of them sometimes, but in separate rooms) or storage laws are going to keep getting worse.
I've ALWAYS thought that if there's kids in the house the guns should be locked up. Nothing will ever change my mind on that, no matter how many people claim their kids are "responsible" and "know better". Because......well.....that's fantasy BS. No offense to anyone's kids here, but I'm done hearing phrases like they're really a "good boy" or "good girl" or they're "smarter" than other kids. Kids are kids. And they NEED parents to intervene and keep potential danger at least somewhat insulated from their curious minds and social media games. How many "good kids" did the Tide Pod challenge? Shoot, how many kids just do dumb arse sh** for no good reason? LOTS.

I bought my first "safe" when my daughter turned one. I've had one ever since.

But I will NEVER EVER support .gov telling us what's best for US.

Exactly. If one is a gun owner and has kids, and there are a lot of us, it is incumbent upon them to store safely. No brain-dead law is going to make up for people not exercising basic responsibility in their homes. Most kiddos are just curious about such things or do the stupid crap that is one of the defining characteristic of childhood; some, like little girl in this gut-wrenching story, have serious problems. :(

Very common in the urban setting. Now it's found its way to rural America. Kudos to the heroic teacher who risked her life to save her students -- including the shooter.
"Very common" for elementary school students to bring guns to school and shoot people? No. Not at all.

I'm sort of curious what would drive a preteen girl to do such a thing, and equally dreading to find out.
Social media bullying via a smartphone their parents were more than happy to put in their hands? Now THAT is very common.

Parents could do some serious good by NOT handing kids phones.

Last Edited:
There are kids that are alive right now because they had access to a gun, just like there are kids that are dead because they had access to a gun.

Both need to be considered when it comes to how you store your guns.

What the state says isn't a consideration.

I've ALWAYS thought that if there's kids in the house the guns should be locked up. Nothing will ever change my mind on that, no matter how many people claim their kids are "responsible" and "know better". Because......well.....that's fantasy BS. No offense to anyone's kids here, but I'm done hearing phrases like they're really a "good boy" or "good girl" or they're "smarter" than other kids. Kids are kids. And they NEED parents to intervene and keep potential danger at least somewhat insulated from their curious minds and social media games. How many "good kids" did the Tide Pod challenge? Shoot, how many kids just do dumb arse sh** for no good reason? LOTS.

I bought my first "safe" when my daughter turned one. I've had one ever since.

But I will NEVER EVER support .gov telling us what's best for US.
^This guy gets it

I trust my kids...but not that much. On top of that I'm more worried about their friends, when they are over, who may or may not have had parents who taught them responsible firearm ownership.

^This guy gets it

I trust my kids...but not that much. On top of that I'm more worried about their friends, when they are over, who may or may not have had parents who taught them responsible firearm ownership.
Yep. Friends come over, kids start talking. Peer pressure kicks in. It's a real thing.

Is it just me or does it seem like kids are growing up faster and faster, at least in some respects? 6th grade...man, she should be exploring the world and having a good ol' time - school isn't even all that serious at those levels.

How can a 6th grader be so angry and so hurt that murder becomes an option?
Very good question. I don't know anything about that individual, her family situation, bullying (if any), mental health, etc but I wonder if she is active on social media at that age? Social media pushes our emotional buttons constantly day after day. Also I wonder if disconnect from regular social contact due to covid played a role. Not saying either of those had a role but both can have a big effect on poeple.

Yep. Friends come over, kids start talking. Peer pressure kicks in. It's a real thing.
I also wouldn't put it past a kid to pick up something like my Glock 44 and not realize that thing is a real gun. The only metal parts on that thing are the internals and the barrel. My kid has heavier NERF guns.

I've ALWAYS thought that if there's kids in the house the guns should be locked up. Nothing will ever change my mind on that, no matter how many people claim their kids are "responsible" and "know better". Because......well.....that's fantasy BS. ...
Exactly the same here. When kids are over to the house guns are locked up and only I have the key. Nothing can go wrong this way and I and any of the kids parents can have peace of mind. To me that is just common sense for a responsible gun owner.

I've ALWAYS thought that if there's kids in the house the guns should be locked up....
Why now? When I was a kid decades ago, there were no gun locks, no gun safes/cabinets, everyone I knew had guns under beds and in closets. I had my own .22 rifle and 12ga shotgun in my room when I was 16, my high school friends theirs too. I remember guns in cars in the high school parking lot, teens going shooting or hunting after school.

We NEVER had these atrocities back then. So what changed? Not the guns.

Big Pharma pushing their mind-altering drugs. Hip-Hop rap lyrics and violent video games and movies glorifying killing. And fatherless families. But they never talk about those, just guns, guns, guns. And now they want all drugs, even coke, meth, and heroin, legalized. :mad:

Yes, lock them up. The bubblegum is getting deep. :(

Why now? When I was a kid decades ago, there were no gun locks, no gun safes/cabinets, everyone I knew had guns under beds and in closets. I had my own .22 rifle and 12ga shotgun in my room when I was 16, my high school friends theirs too. I remember guns in cars in the high school parking lot, teens going shooting or hunting after school.

We NEVER had these atrocities back then. So what changed? Not the guns.

Big Pharma pushing their mind-altering drugs. Hip-Hop rap lyrics and violent video games and movies glorifying killing. And fatherless families. But they never talk about those, just guns, guns, guns. And now they want all drugs, even coke, meth, and heroin, legalized. :mad:

Yes, lock them up. The bubblegum is getting deep. :(
Like you said, times change. Kids have smartphones, tablets and every other online device now instead of guns.

Kids are kids. And they NEED parents to intervene and keep potential danger at least somewhat insulated from their curious minds and social media games.
Depends on the kids. I got my hunting rifle at 11, and it was never a problem. But then I never cared much what other kids thought, and TBH out in the country, having a gun wasn't something that was conversation worthy - of course I did, didn't everyone?

CIty kids now, maybe not so much. My son is 7, so all mine are locked up but when he's older I'll probably let him keep his locked up if that's even legal.

I and my siblings grew up with guns around the house, so did my children. We still have all our fingers and toes. I was around plenty of thing that would kill or cripple me growing up, guns were just another tool and while my kids didn't grow up the same way I made a point to make firearm education and use a part of their lives, now there are.

Sad story no matter what.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads