JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Waiting on that same Wrangler. Any day now . . .

Obligatory post of said Wrangler (stock photo):
2030.jpg

I have an old 150 series Ruger Security-Six in .357 and a Taurus M82 in .38 and my wife prefers using the .38 over any of my semi's.

I like to plink around with the .357 using .38 cartridges. I also used it quite a bit when I lived in Alaska as my bear gun while I was fishing. I appreciated the Magnum fire power.

From the article:

4. Revolvers help if you suffer from AD. Revolvers generally have a heavier trigger than semi-autos and are less prone to accidental discharges (AD). I don't recommend doing it, but I could throw an unholstered revolver in my backpack and not worry at all about an AD.

If you "suffer" from accidental discharges, you shouldnt be anywhere near any firearms... and the idea that you sould buy a revolver because its less likely to go off while unholstered in a backpack is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet

Quality made and reliable revolvers are never out of style whether they are s/a or d/a ones!

I say that even though I no longer shoot handguns too.

Cate

Back in my silouette shooting days the shooter next to me on the firing line was shooting a Dan Wesson revolver, every shot would pepper me with hot gas and bullet jacket fragments. from 6 feet away i had to make sure to not be right beside him on the line. many revolver shooters would use a leather shield to protect the pants. so yes revolvers can start a fire from the barrel cylinder gap. the Dan Wesson revolvers were switch barrel guns and if not assembled correctly would spew hot gas. you were supposed to use a feeler guage to set the gap properly.

I LOVE my revolvers i have had 22 357 41 &45. my dream revolver was Ruger Bisley 45 now i have one, my other revolver is Smith & Wesson 686. love them both. I was issued a 1911 and an M16 when i arrived in Vietnam in 1970. i never actually owned any semi auto until i inherited one in 2013, a Ruger 22 auto. but when the Ruger MKIV came out i had to have one. when i showed it to my wife, she said that is a pretty gun. (she hates all my other guns)

Back in my silhouette shooting days the shooter next to me on the firing line was shooting a Dan Wesson revolver, every shot would pepper me with hot gas and bullet jacket fragments. from 6 feet away i had to make sure to not be right beside him on the line. many revolver shooters would use a leather shield to protect the pants. so yes revolvers can start a fire from the barrel cylinder gap. the Dan Wesson revolvers were switch barrel guns and if not assembled correctly would spew hot gas. you were supposed to use a feeler gauge to set the gap properly.
Son Unit #2 was shooting at range with others in Border Patrol. They were using Ruger 357's. He caught a piece of jacket in the bottom of his Chin. Came from next guy over's revolver. That was in the latter '90's, still in his chin.

He carries a Sig 320 duty gun now in ICE, but he is a revolver guy thru and thru. Carries a 38 backup.

Ok I unfortunately read every single post and point in this thread! I then after reading 10 pages of posts read the article!

Some people made valid points for and against revolvers. Let me put some honest perspective on the subject matter!

First it is a firearm and it works. It's fun to shoot. It's a mechanical device! Therefore, like anything that is mechanical it can have a problem. I can pick apart any firearm if I want to. But I realize it's a mechanical thing. That can have mechanical issues. *see a pattern?*

Now continuing on. I have revolvers and have a bunch of semi auto pistols. I DO NOT care what someone else says about either… why? Because they are fun mechanical things! It's my money… my fun! I encourage everyone to get one. Heck get a couple!

Shot through jackets, backpacks and even a purse to prove a point to my daughter.

Now on to the issue of a revolver and ALL other firearms! Besides that they are mechanical!

One thing I have seen and witnessed is quite simply the person that is shooting the firearm. Semi auto or revolver. They don't understand the mechanics, think they are Mickey Spillane, regurgitate someone else's gripe ( they don't know what is wrong but it's close to their problem), the people that overwork the trigger polishing, and then you get into the fact that the people that make them have periodically made a mistake.

On to the issue of the 686 S&W. I can tell you that there's a couple of different things that can be wrong. Usually it's not from limp wristing, shooting reloads, or a modification. Generally speaking it's with the side plate and or the screws.

As far as EDC and having "enough" rounds? Please, it's called having 2 pistols! Whether it's 2 revolver, 2 semi auto, 1&1 or even 3! Last I knew… a pistol is there to help you get to your rifle or get you the F out of the bad situation. STOP believing in the stupidity of movies and thinking that it makes sense to get in a shootout with 7 people!

As far as the revolver and military goes… the military believed in shooting as many rounds as possible and that's why they originally settled on 5.56 vs sticking to the 7.62x51. They have also learned that having that mindset and fighting against shot out barreled AK's doesn't necessarily mean that they can establish dominance. Last I knew it was accurate fire and elimination of the threat as fast as possible.

Hopefully I helped enlighten some people. I was one of the "REVOLVER'S are dumb and outdated" people. Now I say get everything you can and want! Have fun and stop trying to argue! It's about having fun! Think it's all I have for now.

Correction: tell me how much a Janz Revolver is worth? Then tell me anything that is close to the price? Then tell me if they lose their value? Follow up with last time one malfunctioned? @Andy54Hawken @Knobgoblin

Last Edited:
Ok I unfortunately read every single post and point in this thread! I then after reading 10 pages of posts read the article!

Some people made valid points for and against revolvers. Let me put some honest perspective on the subject matter!

First it is a firearm and it works. It's fun to shoot. It's a mechanical device! Therefore, like anything that is mechanical it can have a problem. I can pick apart any firearm if I want to. But I realize it's a mechanical thing. That can have mechanical issues. *see a pattern?*

Now continuing on. I have revolvers and have a bunch of semi auto pistols. I DO NOT care what someone else says about either… why? Because they are fun mechanical things! It's my money… my fun! I encourage everyone to get one. Heck get a couple!

Shot through jackets, backpacks and even a purse to prove a point to my daughter.

Now on to the issue of a revolver and ALL other firearms! Besides that they are mechanical!

One thing I have seen and witnessed is quite simply the person that is shooting the firearm. Semi auto or revolver. They don't understand the mechanics, think they are Mickey Spillane, regurgitate someone else's gripe ( they don't know what is wrong but it's close to their problem), the people that overwork the trigger polishing, and then you get into the fact that the people that make them have periodically made a mistake.

On to the issue of the 686 S&W. I can tell you that there's a couple of different things that can be wrong. Usually it's not from limp wristing, shooting reloads, or a modification. Generally speaking it's with the side plate and or the screws.

As far as EDC and having "enough" rounds? Please, it's called having 2 pistols! Whether it's 2 revolver, 2 semi auto, 1&1 or even 3! Last I knew… a pistol is there to help you get to your rifle or get you the F out of the bad situation. STOP believing in the stupidity of movies and thinking that it makes sense to get in a shootout with 7 people!

As far as the revolver and military goes… the military believed in shooting as many rounds as possible and that's why they originally settled on 5.56 vs sticking to the 7.62x51. They have also learned that having that mindset and fighting against shot out barreled AK's doesn't necessarily mean that they can establish dominance. Last I knew it was accurate fire and elimination of the threat as fast as possible.

Hopefully I helped enlighten some people. I was one of the "REVOLVER'S are dumb and outdated" people. Now I say get everything you can and want! Have fun and stop trying to argue! It's about having fun! Think it's all I have for now.

Correction: tell me how much a Janz Revolver is worth? Then tell me anything that is close to the price? Then tell me if they lose their value? Follow up with last time one malfunctioned? @Andy54Hawken @Knobgoblin
You probably like cameras too or would if you gave a good one a try. I've noticed there's a correlation between liking guns and liking cameras. I think its because both are sophisticated mechanical devices and some people really like understanding and using such things and figuring out how to get the most from them.

Tell my S&W 686 that it should be 100% reliable
Is yours the late non-pinned, non-recessed, safety type? Some are a step below the earlier versions, due to cost-cutting. Move it and buy any of the older Smiths. If you had an unreliable semi, you'd move it, right? Somebody gets a lemon of everytihng that is made. Have you sent it to Smith, or emailed them?

I have the great blessing of liking and having both types. Argument is purely academic. Don't like semis? Don't buy one. Same with revolvers.

You probably like cameras too or would if you gave a good one a try. I've noticed there's a correlation between liking guns and liking cameras. I think its because both are sophisticated mechanical devices and some people really like understanding and using such things and figuring out how to get the most from them.
And motorcycles and aircraft.

Will learn multi-quote one of these days.

Not sure why you mentioned me here...?
Andy

Cate?

She is a good woman and smart. Anyone that knows me knows that I try to acknowledge people who are positive and try helping others. Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to always mention everyone. This is one of the best website forums as far as helping people and staying positive. We all have our moments but honestly the women here do a better job and Cate is one of those women that does that.

She is a good woman and smart. Anyone that knows me knows that I try to acknowledge people who are positive and try helping others. Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to always mention everyone. This is one of the best website forums as far as helping people and staying positive. We all have our moments but honestly the women here do a better job and Cate is one of those women that does that.
Thank you for your kind words.

Cate

Is yours the late non-pinned, non-recessed, safety type? Some are a step below the earlier versions, due to cost-cutting. Move it and buy any of the older Smiths. If you had an unreliable semi, you'd move it, right? Somebody gets a lemon of everytihng that is made. Have you sent it to Smith, or emailed them?

I have the great blessing of liking and having both types. Argument is purely academic. Don't like semis? Don't buy one. Same with revolvers.
I would not, the price of guns are too small for me to foist a unreliable firearm n someone else. I send it back as necessary till it works, then if it has lost it's luster with me I will trade it or gift it. Nothing unreliable leaves my hands.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top