JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
JOHN ATWATER pled guilty to:* Four (4) counts of Unlawful Take of Bull Elk* Two (2) counts of Hunting on the Enclosed Lands of Another* Two (2) counts of Borrowing a Big Game TagHe was sentenced to:* Forty (40) days in the Lane County Jail* 24 months probation* Ordered to pay $6,000 in restitution to ODFW* $6,674 fine* Ordered to forfeit his rifle* Lifetime suspension of hunting privileges
DUSTIN ATWATER, age 26, pled guilty to:* Aiding in Game Violation* Criminal Trespass in the Second DegreeHe was sentenced to:* Fifteen (15) days in the Lane County Jail* 18 months probation* Ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution to ODFW* $892 fine* 48 month hunting license suspension
DAVID PRUITT, age 78, pled guilty to:* Aiding in Game Violation* Loaning Big Game Tag* Hunting while in violation of Criminal TrespassHe was sentenced to:* 24 months probation* Ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution to ODFW* $2,304 fine* Complete 100 hours of community service* 36 month hunting license suspension
HOMER RHODES, age 74, pled guilty to:* Two (2) counts of Aiding in Game Violation* Loaning Big Game TagHe was sentenced to:* 24 months probation* Ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution to ODFW* Complete 60 hours of community service
CHRISTOPHER STEVENS, age 35, pled guilty to:* Aiding in Game ViolationHe was sentenced to:* 24 months probation* Ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution to ODFW* $1,202 fine* Complete 160 hours of community service* 36 month hunting license suspension
BRYAN SHEPARD, age not available, pled guilty to:* Aiding in Game ViolationHe was sentenced to:* 24 months probation* Complete 100 hours of community service* 24 month hunting license suspension

right or wrong --i 'm tring to feed you thr imfo
steven

Wow.. Just wow...

This has got to be overkill...

But I suppose they have to make an example out of someone...

well if i remember this case correctly the DROVE onto private property (fenced i believe) and started shootin .. when they where done 6 was dead and i'm not sure if any wounded. also NOT all of them had tags, thats where the borrowing and loanig tags part comes in... Don

well if i remember this case correctly the DROVE onto private property (fenced i believe) and started shootin .. when they where done 6 was dead and i'm not sure if any wounded. also NOT all of them had tags, thats where the borrowing and loanig tags part comes in... Don

Ah, ok- this makes more sense then...

Why are stupid people allowed guns?...

I knew a guy who poached for YEARS with his cousins, finally got caught. Seems to be a habbit for the ones who do it. Seems they were pretty bold about it in a situation like this, obviously planned on it, and probably wasnt the first time. i say give em the harsh penalty.

I remember a few years ago when some ppl went to the elk viewing area near Coos Bay and shot 4-5 bull elk and only took the heads..I dont see a problem filling the freezer if you are hungry but poaching for the sake of putting a rack on the wall I have a problem with

Unless they start to do what Africa does to poachers you can't stop it. The ramifacations for it are not that harsh. If you punish people hard enough then they start to think about their actions.

I posted this in the other thread in the hunting forum. Reposting here:

Sentencing was handed down today:

Taken from <broken link removed>

JOHN ATWATER pled guilty to:
* Four (4) counts of Unlawful Take of Bull Elk
* Two (2) counts of Hunting on the Enclosed Lands of Another
* Two (2) counts of Borrowing a Big Game Tag
He was sentenced to:
* Forty (40) days in the Lane County Jail
* 24 months probation
* Ordered to pay $6,000 in restitution to ODFW
* $6,674 fine
* Ordered to forfeit his rifle
* Lifetime suspension of hunting privileges

DUSTIN ATWATER, age 26, pled guilty to:
* Aiding in Game Violation
* Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree
He was sentenced to:
* Fifteen (15) days in the Lane County Jail
* 18 months probation
* Ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution to ODFW
* $892 fine
* 48 month hunting license suspension

DAVID PRUITT, age 78, pled guilty to:
* Loaning Big Game Tag
* Hunting while in violation of Criminal Trespass
He was sentenced to:
* 24 months probation
* $2,304 fine
* Complete 100 hours of community service
* 36 month hunting license suspension

HOMER RHODES, age 74, pled guilty to:
* Two (2) counts of Aiding in Game Violation
* Loaning Big Game Tag
He was sentenced to:
* 24 months probation
* Complete 60 hours of community service

CHRISTOPHER STEVENS, age 35, pled guilty to:
He was sentenced to:
* 24 months probation
* $1,202 fine
* Complete 160 hours of community service
* 36 month hunting license suspension

BRYAN SHEPARD, age not available, pled guilty to:
He was sentenced to:
* 24 months probation
* Complete 100 hours of community service
* 24 month hunting license suspension

BTW, I know this guy and he isn't as bad a guy as you would think. He had permission to hunt on the property and thought he had only shot one elk--he thought he had missed the one elk twice before bringing it down--turns out it was four that were standing next to each other. The first two both dropped on the first shots and the third shot killed 2. These were long shots(300ish yards).

The rest of it was all bad decisions...trying to get find others to tag the extra kills, once discovered, and the elks were actually on the next property over--not the two he had permission to hunt. The fact that it wasn't season yet--he says he thought it was cascade bull elk centerfire season(listed as oct17-oct23). I just turns out he wasnt in an appropriate unit. Understood this is not an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending this guy, just offering a bit of the other side of the story. He screwed up and is paying a heavy toll--i just hope he doesn't lose his livelyhood over it. He wasn't purposely poaching these animals, just being a moron ;-)

BTW, I know this guy and he isn't as bad a guy as you would think. He had permission to hunt on the property and thought he had only shot one elk--he thought he had missed the one elk twice before bringing it down--turns out it was four that were standing next to each other. The first two both dropped on the first shots and the third shot killed 2. These were long shots(300ish yards).

The rest of it was all bad decisions...trying to get find others to tag the extra kills, once discovered, and the elks were actually on the next property over--not the two he had permission to hunt. The fact that it wasn't season yet--he says he thought it was cascade bull elk centerfire season(listed as oct17-oct23). I just turns out he wasnt in an appropriate unit. Understood this is not an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending this guy, just offering a bit of the other side of the story. He screwed up and is paying a heavy toll--i just hope he doesn't lose his livelyhood over it. He wasn't purposely poaching these animals, just being a moron ;-)

The moron part is where he and apparently a few friends tried their hardest to cover up what happened, right? I remember my parents always told me that the TRUTH is always the best approach. I'm sure there would have been some serious ramifications even if he went straight to ODFW or the police once he realized what he did but I'm sure he'd be in a better situation than he is in now. Lies only get you in deeper poo!!!

[QUOTE

BTW, I know this guy and he isn't as bad a guy as you would think.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending this guy,

so..... he poaches multiple elk, on private property, that he doesn't have permission to hunt on, out of season. sounds like a simple misunderstanding to me!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top