JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been going to a range in Lewiston, ID that hosts a monthly GSSF match for about two years now.

I started competing with my G29 10mm, then got a .40 S&W conversion barrel for it, then a G35, and now I have a G19 MOS with a red dot for Unlimited.

The whole point was to become proficient with Glocks, since I hadn't owned any for about 20 years and bought the 10mm for a woods carry gun.

Plus the possibility that I would win a free Glock pistol was tempting as well.

I no longer carry a Glock for self-defense, though the G29 remains as my primary woods carry gun.

Between the yearly $35 GSSF membership, the $30 fee for each match, and the cost of ammo (100 rounds each match), the gas to make the 100-mile round trip... I have spent around $2000 just in fees, gas, and ammo.

I have won a plaque, and I get a few Glock paraphernalia items at the end of the three-month match series.

But never won a pistol. And I am still a 480 to 490 level shooter.

Not going to spend the money this month. Plus, my right shoulder is injured after chopping down a tree with an axe at the cabin this week and inflaming an old Army injury.

It's tough. I love going and talking to the other shooters. Great bunch of guys and it's fun, but it's not really relevant practice for me anymore.

Would be interested in IDPA or something similar that stresses defensive shooting techniques and speed under stress. However, over here in the boondocks, there are no nearby matches, and having to stay in a hotel room for a match puts the cost out of my reach.

It sounds like you are shooting the indoor Glock match. I did it once, and didn't care for it. Had to shoot it three times (unless you were comfortable with just two scores, as they throw out the lowest) and the prizes left a lot to be desired. I won a plaque the one time I entered, and I haven't been back since. I believe they give the gun by random drawing, so your score would have nothing to do with it.
I love the outdoor matches though. Although I've never won a gun, I know people that have won them multiple times. I guess I'm just not lucky. I have won money for where I placed, and I won a two year GSSF membership. Undoubtedly I have spent more than I have gotten out of it, but I enjoy them and think of them as a type of vacation. I also like being able to see the armorer.

Last Edited:
I love the outdoor matches though. Although I've never won a gun, I know people that have won them multiple times. I guess I'm just not lucky. I have won money for where I placed, and I won a two year GSSF membership. Undoubtedly I have spent more than I have gotten out of it, but I enjoy them and think of them as a type of vacation. I also like being able to see the armorer.

I would love to go to an outdoor match! But, the $400-$500 cost due to gas and hotels since they are all 300 miles away has kept me from attending one.

There was talk about the nearby range that hosts the indoor matches trying to host an outdoor match, but nothing has come of it.

Nothing stops people from congregating at a range and having an "unofficial" match with friendly competition.

I ran into a similar situation when I initially competed in local 'tactical two gun' matches, did that for a few years and won plenty of times. Ultimately the multiple hours of time each match took for me to only shoot for about 2 min and a total of about 40 rounds became a issue for me, the added machismo, elitism, general douchebaggery of event and increased cost to participate caused me to walk away.

I bought a shot timer and have more thoroughly enjoyed being able to challenge myself, create my own layouts/drills and be able to accomplish far more practice in far less time. If you get to know like minded individuals, it's easy to send everyone a message and have an impromptu competition without all the cost of a business association hosting the event.

I ran into a similar situation when I initially competed in local 'tactical two gun' matches, did that for a few years and won plenty of times. Ultimately the multiple hours of time each match took for me to only shoot for about 2 min and a total of about 40 rounds became a issue for me, the added machismo, elitism, general douchebaggery of event and increased cost to participate caused me to walk away.

I found the exact opposite at my local indoor match. Everyone was humble, friendly, and offered solid advice and feedback. Great bunch of folks!

Wow, I looked up IDPA matches and the nearest to you is in Deer Lodge Montana!

Seems like you need to start your own event. My gun club quit IDPA but we are still holding Defensive Pistol matches. All you need is a bunch of guys willing to help set it up and run it.

the added machismo, elitism, general douchebaggery of event and increased cost to participate caused me to walk away.

This does happen. The cost of participation is on the rise everywhere. And some clubs just suck. Mine is full of nice people, but I have run into range nazis elsewhere. And more than a few GI wannabees. Won't go there again.

I found the exact opposite at my local indoor match. Everyone was humble, friendly, and offered solid advice and feedback. Great bunch of folks!

Generally my competitors were fine people. It was select individuals who staffed/ran the event. Some people don't like civilians outshooting them when they take great pride in their title of, veteran.

I enjoyed it while I participated, I simply outgrew it as I could more effectively hone skills outside of it, for less cost, less time, and less dick measuring.

I think that if you can develop a solid group of people who are genuinely interested in developing and refining skills, it's easy to have a great time.

I was involved with GSSF back in the mid to late 90's, both as a competitor and an RO, was a blast. All were outdoor ranges, throughout the southeast, was quite the time. Couple of times won small cash prizes, but the best was winning a Glock, getting that call from Val was quite the surprise.

Back then they broke the field into segments, based upon total number of competitors. Say thee were 600 competitors, they'd break that down into four or five segments. The top scorer in each segment won a Glock...

Fond memories of the openness and camaraderie. Not to mention swag and free pistol updates...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top