JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is probably the last time you will see a single stack in modern day police service. I was kinda surprised to see it and did note his spare was an extended 10rd

Violent video, happened last April...

A few years back I was on a 12 person jury for three days. A bunch of law enforcement officials testified. All of the city-based police officers carried standard sized Glocks or, in one case, a baby model. The deputy who led the investigate, however, patrolled the hinterland and I couldn't help but notice he was the only one who packed a cocked and locked, stainless, single-stack M1911.

(Parenthetically, we unanimously voted "guilt" to the complete POS who was the accused on all nine felony counts. Buh-bye.)

The only single stack Ive seen in service was a 1911 a cop patrolling the Sunlight Ampitheater at a concert I went to two summers ago.

I'm a diehard 1911 fan, but if I was a LEO I would have a double stack no matter what. A 2011 double stack if I had the choice would be an option...
My guess is most depts issue the guns, how does it work for an officer to carry what they want?

The only single stack Ive seen in service was a 1911 a cop patrolling the Sunlight Ampitheater at a concert I went to two summers ago.

I'm a diehard 1911 fan, but if I was a LEO I would have a double stack no matter what. A 2011 double stack if I had the choice would be an option...
My guess is most depts issue the guns, how does it work for an officer to carry what they want?

It is entirely agency dependent. Some issue guns and you have to use what's issued. Some issue, but have an approved list of alternates. Some don't issue and you can carry off an approved list a gun you provide. Some don't issue and you carry whatever the hell you feel like in a service caliber that you can get the armorer to sign off on.

Back when I was younger and trying to get into LE - Washington County didn't issue. You could carry any gun you liked if it was a Glock, Sig, HK, or Smith & Wesson. You could carry a revolver if it was a Smith or a Colt. Multnomah County deputies provided their own duty gun, with a little broader approved list. When I was an exploder (explorer) with MCSO, I saw deputies carrying mostly Glocks, but some carried Sigs, some HK's, some Smiths, and some Berettas. Patrol division was small back then. Jail / civil deputies mostly preferred Glocks and Sigs. Portland PB issued Glocks in 9mm or 45, and you got to pick the caliber, that was it. Oregon State Police issued Glock 22's and 23s depending on your duty, and that was all you could carry. Clackamas County was self provided and if they had an approved list, it was pretty much anything at Gun Broker except Hi Point or Taurus. A good number of CCSO deputies carried 1911's. A friend of mine worked for Sandy PD around that time, and their policy was wide open, provided you got the department armorer to sign off. Maybe 1/3 of the officers there carried 1911's, the rest mostly carried Glocks. They have since switched to issuing guns (CALEA accreditation requirement) and they were issuing Glock 21 SF's but I heard they were looking at issuing Glock 22's at some point, not sure if they switched or not, lost touch with that friend a few years ago.

@mkwerx
good to know, and pretty much what I thought, it depends on the department. I think I would have an issue being forced to carry something other than what I wanted and was the most proficient with.

Heck, I remember when most cops carried wheelguns... back when Gresham PD was first getting into autos, they allowed the 1911, and it was a fairly popular choice, at the time. I highly doubt that's the way it is these days...

I can remember looking at my S&W M15, 6 shot, .38 special revolver and at the 9mm, 8-round mag fed, S&W Model 39 (carried by the Illinois State Patrol). Then thinking.....Yeah, those guys had it good. Why couldn't we have semi-autos too?

Aloha, Mark

My duty carry was a S&W Model 66 with two six-round speed loaders. I also had a 12ga. smoke pole in the car. My TOE weapon in the Marines was a 1911 with 2 spare mags. This was my weapon as a File Radio Operator!

This is probably the last time you will see a single stack in modern day police service. I was kinda surprised to see it and did note his spare was an extended 10rd

Violent video, happened last April...

Looks like the bad guy didn't make it... So sad...

hope that officer that was run into not only survived but makes a full recovery as well...

Looks like the bad guy didn't make it... So sad...

hope that officer that was run into not only survived but makes a full recovery as well...

Agree.
That was a pretty brutal video to watch. The officer looks like he will survive, but he got sandwiched pretty bad. I hope he has a full recovery.

My TOE weapon in the Marines was a 1911 with 2 spare mags. This was my weapon as a File Radio Operator

just curious why only 2 spare mags?
I dont know anything about the requirements but seems likenwith a single stack id want at least 4 spares knowing id be going into combat. A 1911 mag is thin enough to carry more IMO

just curious why only 2 spare mags?
I dont know anything about the requirements but seems likenwith a single stack id want at least 4 spares knowing id be going into combat. A 1911 mag is thin enough to carry more IMO
But those rounds at 230 gr each start to add up might quickly. When I carried a 1911, carried two 8 round refills, but I never intended to get into a gunfight. I plan on running away if at all possible :eek:

The TOE (Table of Organization Equipment) said that the 1911 would be issued with a magazine such that would hold two magazines. This was during the war in Vietnam and there just isn't a lot of room on your canvas pistol belt to carry a lot of stuff. Then of course there is the weight factor. I realize that a couple of extra mags don't weigh that much, but when it's over 100 degrees and the Humidity is 97%, every step that you take is physically draining. We carried two canteens, a couple of extra grenades, a first aid packet, a Ka-Bar and I carried extra batteries that were the size of a carton of cigarettes. I eventually acquired a chest holster and an M-16. It's all about the weight. Supplies came quickly, if needed.

I forgot about the weight issue, but.... In comparison to 2 spares of 9mm mags that are double capacity I would think it would be close to the same to add at least 1 more spare for the 1911.
That said, the weight still makes sense especially considering your carrying a primary weapon... Id probably be that guy that hides 2 extra mags for the rifle, if I had the weight to spare....

After I was promoted to Sgt. I had to always check the new guys and take away their extra mags and grenades. The VC would follow out patrols and pick up the "extras" that the new guys would toss into the bush 'cause it was getting' heavy. If anyone was willing to carry any extra ammo, it was always for the M-60 or mortar rounds for the 81MM, although we never had 81's with us.

Guilty, (raises hand)... :p

As a backpacker its taken several years of experience to learn the discipline of ultra light backpacking. Makes a huge world of difference.
Nowadays I can justify an extra spare mag for my 1911, and a pint of whiskey for the campfire too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top