JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:confused: LOL! I KNOW THAT! :rolleyes::D
You mentioned earlier that your gun is not a Red Letter gun and that its probably from the 50's.
I was just wondering what YEARS were those Red Letter guns made?

I never had much use for them when I lived and hunted east of the Cascades but I have grown to appreciate them since I moved here.
I've been in predicaments where an old single shot is all I had to hunt with.
Just before my sons birth I took a promotion that landed me in Moses Lake, Wa. I barely had time to pack my clothes and work gear. When it came time to think about a shotgun for any hunting I may get in, I was out of room and taking the gun safe with me wasn't going to happen. You can only fit so much into a 79 dodge step side. I decided to take an old chopped down 18" Iver Johnson Champion. If I had known about the incredible hunting opportunities Moses lake would offer, I would have grabbed one of the pump guns. That old single shot brought down hundreds of birds ranging from Hungarian partridge, pheasants, turkeys, teal, ducks, Canada goose, blue grouse, ruffed, dove, sage grouse, quail and chuckars. Then I walked into a pawn shop during an investigation, and found a beautiful old 16ga. Iver Johnson Champion. That little sixteen allowed me to kill my limit of pheasant every time I took it out.
I still have both of the champions. I bring out the 16 every dove season. I've even broke a couple 25 straights at 16 yard trap. Not bad for a total investment of less than $30.00. Not including ammo lol.

I have a slightly modified .410 single shot in my Jeep that I carry as a snake gun. I leave the Jeep and the gun in Arizona. I bought the shotgun when I emptied my Buckmark .22 at Mr. snake and missed him every time! The "smokepole" works more better.

My very first gun was a single shot H&R 410! Killed a lot of rock chucks with it.

Was 14 working my first real job that summer in Tonasket, Wa. Oh the memories...A lot of firsts that year:)

i love the old single shots and from time to time still hunt with them. My favorites are the Iver Johnson Champion in 12 and 16 ga. The 12 got hacksawed to 18" when I needed a pdw that had serious thump but could still be used for jump shooting ducks and Canada Goose, or when able, load a 3 inch slug and take home a white tail or black Bruin . The $35.00 pawn shop rescue never let me down and my family never experienced an empty freezer. Twenty years later I found another Champion in 16ga. Slim and light, this little gun was a bird hunting sweetheart. Humping the crazy steep fields around Lewiston and the mountains of Boundary County, or staying behind the dog in mountain home. The little 16 just got the job done!

The first shotgun I bought was a H&R Topper 12ga. The first time I shot it I about threw it in the canyon. 3" Mag 00 Buck will do that to ya. With time I learned to shoot that shotgun well because even with regular 2 3/4" field loads it was painful to shoot. I figured out that if I hit what I shot at I didn't have to shoot as much. I shot that H&R until the transfer bar broke only to find out that the "new" H&R 1871 company wouldn't sell me the replacement part. These days I have a Browning BPS and am a pretty good shot with it. I credit that to learning with the single shot and not wanting to get beat up by it any more than absolutely needed to fill the stew pot.

Oremike,

I called H&R in '91 because I was having the same issues as you (they wouldn't fix my old H&R).
Turns out, as a condition of filing Chapter....whatever, The "Harrington & Richardson" name and all wares built by that company had to remain separate from "H&R 1871".
Basically, the old company closed. A new company opened, that just happened to build similar wares, but the two companies are separate companies (legally), and so, cannot have any association with each other.
It would be like sending my Proctor-Silex coffee maker to Westbend to be repaired.
They both make coffee makers, but they're separate companies.
I believe this may have been the reason why H&R 1871 also branded some of their guns "New England Firearms" (NEF).
….and btw, Walker Arms in Selma Alabama were the warranty people for the older guns. If you press the operator enough, she'll let you know about that. ;)

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top