JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i love the old single shots and from time to time still hunt with them. My favorites are the Iver Johnson Champion in 12 and 16 ga. The 12 got hacksawed to 18" when I needed a pdw that had serious thump but could still be used for jump shooting ducks and Canada Goose, or when able, load a 3 inch slug and take home a white tail or black Bruin . The $35.00 pawn shop rescue never let me down and my family never experienced an empty freezer. Twenty years later I found another Champion in 16ga. Slim and light, this little gun was a bird hunting sweetheart. Humping the crazy steep fields around Lewiston and the mountains of Boundary County, or staying behind the dog in mountain home. The little 16 just got the job done!
I read somewhere that the Break action single shot shotgun (as we know it today) originated with Iver Johnson, starting in 1893.

Dean

So now for the rest of the story, I paid $49.99 for the shotgun from K-Mart. I didn't really want to spend a bunch of time and money to fix a $50 shotgun so I bought an old Ithica model 37 for $100.00. The H&R sat in the closet until one day I saw the police were having a gun buy back so I took the broken POS H&R to them and got $25.00 for it and figured that was good enough.

Year's ago I had a single shot Steven's? 12 gauge. Bought clay pigeon thrower and had a lot of fun..if I remember right a box of Winchester AA shells cost 2.99

Stevens 301

I have the 12 gauge with 26" barrel. It came with a screw-in modified choke. I subsequently switched it out for an extra full choke. I think it patterns low with that choke using trap loads.

It is extremely light. You definitely feel even trap load. There isn't that much meat around the chamber like there is on the H&R and NEF single-shot shotguns.

The stock is plastic but has a really solid feel.

The stock is too short. I added a slip on rubber butt pad which added enough to not feel too short.

I don't like the handling characteristics. When I quickly raise an 870 to my shoulder it has dead on sight field down the barrel that it just naturally gravitates to.

This gun does not have that propensity for the sweet spot. I have shot trap with it and I felt that part of the reason I was performing so poorly was the gun.

I also don't like that the trigger guard is a cheap looking plastic.

The gun has excellent fit and finish. Far better than H&R and NEF have ever had. It seems very well made.

The finish has sort of a cheap, rough blued/parkerized look. I have a gut feeling that the finish would fair very poorly as far as protecting from corrosion. I keep it well oiled.

Thank you for the review, Honor.
I had similar sighting problems with my H&R when I first got it.
As with yourself, I had the same short stock problem and also remedied it with a slip on butt pad.
That did wonders, but I still have a propensity to shoot over the gun.
It usually takes a few shots to get the gun to tuck in and line up, as you mentioned.
My Dad's 11-48 and JC Higgins Model 20 both line up like they should, every time.
I'm wondering if the comb of my stock isn't a little high and it makes me wonder if you're not suffering the same malady.
I also noticed my H&R was a bit "whippy" when I first got it and it was harder to track a bird, than with the other guns I mentioned.
If you're noticing a similar problem, my advice to you is to keep working with the gun.
I got used to the H&R's characteristics, eventually. I'm sure you'll work into your Stevens, as well.
These days, when I'm not shooting over it, my H&R is a pretty accurate shooter. I've actually hit a few clays with my eyes closed (my version of "stupid trick shooting"). I feel that's a testament to the general fit of the gun to me.
Nice to read some real world comments on the Stevens 301.
They are way too far and few between.
Thanks again for posting your impressions. Appreciate it.

Dean

I have 2 single shots. A Winchester 37A 20ga and a new Stevens 301t in 410. Both are turkey guns, but they serve as fun additions for small game. I have doubles for upland birds. That 37A was a gun show find in KY that the gentleman made me a great deal on as I had my sons with me, and he already knew they were going to use it, a lot, which the oldest son has.

Well Andy, I like single shot shotguns because I make single shot rifles out of them....

Got the idea years ago when I picked up a Hopkins and Allen break open 12ga. Well over 100 years old. Since I can't afford those cool old single shot rifles from back then I thought convert this shotgun to a rifle.

Bought some surplus barrels from Numrich that were for a Star rolling block clone in .357, unchambered, tapered but rough machined out side. So I did a long barrel stub with the 12ga barrel and stuffed the .357 barrel inside.

Cut the chamber for .357 mag but only shoot .38spl in it except for proof load. It was my first attempt and didn't turn out too bad but I'm getting a little better at it now.

Sorry but no photo of before conversion. This is how it turned out...
tgwH1PB.jpg

Then I picked up a couple Hopkins and Allen falling block shotguns.
Q8zIDJl.jpg

Converted one to 45-70 using a bubba'd Trapdoor barrel so all the parts on this conversion are over 100 years old. Apologies for the crummy photos.
Czx1NU8.jpg
HpO4tPE.jpg

The second falling block is still a work in progress. Using another Star rolling block .357 barrel this one is chambered for .38spl.
j1SmTSJ.jpg

But I didn't confine myself to old shotguns only. One of my favorites is the little Rossi .410 youth single shot converted to .38spl. At 4.5 lbs it is just a blast to shoot. It really likes Remington 130gr MC .38spl ammo.

Before conversion.
86iErhH.jpg

After conversion.
dtUbeYL.jpg
kx1JCUG.jpg

Hope my conversions don't offend anyone.

Last Edited:
Andy, the pistol caliber carbines are a real attraction to me too. Especially when light and handy. I also shoot and reload like you mentioned earlier in the thread. I can hold three .38spl rounds between my fingers of my left hand and two in my right hand. With a little practice reloading is pretty quick with the Rossi.

My next PCC is going to be in 45acp, I'll call it "Little Thumper". ;)

I have 2 single shots. A Winchester 37A 20ga and a new Stevens 301t in 410. Both are turkey guns, but they serve as fun additions for small game. I have doubles for upland birds. That 37A was a gun show find in KY that the gentleman made me a great deal on as I had my sons with me, and he already knew they were going to use it, a lot, which the oldest son has.
Bluelund,
What stops you, or your sons, from using the 37A (or the 301t) for upland game?
I can understand preferences, we all have them, but your post makes it sound like there may be other reasons for not using either of those guns for upland hunting.
Just curious.

Dean

I love older single shot shotguns.
I have several modtly 410 and 20 gauge.
The old Iver Johnson Gun & Bycicle Works single shots I have a 410 gauge, a 28 gauge, a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge with the dolid rib on top of the barrel.
I need to pick.up a 16 gauge for the set.

I have two 410 gage Ithaca model 66.
Two 20 gauge Ithaca model.66.
And a bunch of various makes of 410 gauge single shots. Some break open and some bolt actions.

I have three old 410s one is tube fed. One has a magazine.and one has an internal.mag.

They are classic.
I also have a good size collection of old 22lr rifles. Many are single shots.

I also have three T/C contenders with several barrels. A T/C encore with eight barrels.
A single shot Remington XP100 in 7mmBR.
A single shot H&R Handi rifle with two barrels, a 243 and a 308.

Also several single shot handguns.

Sounds like you have a nice little collection going on, HighlandLofts.
That .22 shown in your second post. Doesn't the barrel pivot sideways, instead of up and down?
Seems like I remember them doing that, but its been a long time since I've seen one.

Dean

yes i only use single shotguns , they are dependable and no worries about anything jamming . and you can get the shell holder for the butt stock so its fast to reload .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top