JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into upgrading my CZs for some fun competition & i keep seeing these single shot adapters online. As I'm going along finding things i stumbled into an Anschutz 54 looking for a Winchester model 52. The Annie is wonderful, omg what a trigger, the Unertl scope. Im interested in it but i can't find a place for single shot only rifles to compete. I've Google net searched, called people, shops & the range. All I've found is 2 specific bench rest rule sets that require multiple rounds loaded. Nothing for single shot.

What are the single shot adaptors for? What's an old Annie for anymore, competition wise. What event uses single shot only rifles?

Now, I don't know this from experience, so take it with some NaCl...the big crystally kind.

The bullet on a .22lr is pretty soft and easily scratched or deformed, which would rob you of accuracy. As the bolt pushes the round out of the magazine, it usually has to come up to the chamber via a feeding ramp and this interaction could scratch or damage the bullet.

The single shot adapters take this interaction of parts out of play, allowing you to place the round onto the adapter and to have the bolt take it straight into the chamber...so the shape of the bullet is preserved.

Conceptually, this makes a lot of sense...but I haven't tested my CZ or 10/22 even to validate how often bullets get scratched up. On a failure to feed with the 10/22, the casing of the round usually gets smooshed in...so I've no doubt that gun may scratch a bullet on feed. The CZ though...not sure.

At least 1 competition level .22 maker touts their design similarly to what I've said: V-22 Rimfire Repeater Action - Vudoo Gun Works

The V-22 has a very unique control-round-feed protocol. The bolt has full capture control of the cartridge from the time it leaves the magazine until it ejects the spent round out the ejection port. The significance of that is two-fold. Great feed and extraction reliability and…equally as important, the cartridge is controlled in a way that it never touches anything on its entrance into the bore. There is no feed ramp, nor does the projectile go in at an angle that would damage it in any way.

Now, I don't know this from experience, so take it with some NaCl...the big crystally kind.

The bullet on a .22lr is pretty soft and easily scratched or deformed, which would rob you of accuracy. As the bolt pushes the round out of the magazine, it usually has to come up to the chamber via a feeding ramp and this interaction could scratch or damage the bullet.

The single shot adapters take this interaction of parts out of play, allowing you to place the round onto the adapter and to have the bolt take it straight into the chamber...so the shape of the bullet is preserved.

Conceptually, this makes a lot of sense...but I haven't tested my CZ or 10/22 even to validate how often bullets get scratched up. On a failure to feed with the 10/22, the casing of the round usually gets smooshed in...so I've no doubt that gun may scratch a bullet on feed. The CZ though...not sure.

At least 1 competition level .22 maker touts their design similarly to what I've said: V-22 Rimfire Repeater Action - Vudoo Gun Works

That's interesting because its something I was thinking about the other day when I was shooting my new Savage single shot target rifle. I was using Norma match 22lr ammo and it was not feeding super smooth, like it does in my 1949 model 52B. On a few of them I almost pulled them out and set them to the side because I was sure loading them into the chamber was scratching the bullet head. I decided not to and shot this group: This is from a $194.00 rifle:
fQvVRMP.jpg
ev9NxKG.jpg
oH5qzOz.jpg
First real group I've fired out of the rifle since I bought it, a month ago. Girlfriend has shot it more than I have. If I were the OP, I'd look for clubs that shoot rimfire competitions. To stipulate whether it be "single shot", or magazine fed seems a little ludicrous to me. Rimfire is rimfire. My club shoots rimfire comp at 50 yards, so all my targets I post from my rimfire rifles are shot at 50 yards.

Model 52B, using the same ammo:
9oTTjgI.jpg
9t36AYp.jpg
This rifle feeds this ammo slick as snot...

Last Edited:
That's interesting because its something I was thinking about the other day when I was shooting my new Savage single shot target rifle. I was using Norma match 22lr ammo and it was not feeding super smooth, like it does in my 1949 model 52B. On a few of them I almost pulled them out and set them to the side because I was sure loading them into the chamber was scratching the bullet head. I decided not to and shot this group: This is from a $194.00 rifle:
View attachment 653345

First real group I've fired out of the rifle since I bought it, a month ago. Girlfriend has shot it more than I have. If I were the OP, I'd look for clubs that shoot rimfire competitions. To stipulate whether it be "single shot", or magazine fed seems a little ludicrous to me. Rimfire is rimfire. My club shoots rimfire comp at 50 yards, so all my targets I post from my rimfire rifles are shot at 50 yards.

View attachment 653346
View attachment 653347

Nice!

View attachment 653345

View attachment 653346
View attachment 653347
Nice shooting!

Nice shooting!
Thanks guys. I really got lucky when I found them. Both exceptional shooters. I actually let a guy shoot my Winchester model 52 the other day. He is an RSO at the new range across the river from my house and he said he used a 52C in rimfire competition where he grew up. I said, I need to let you shoot my rifle then, to see what it can really do. We were shooting at 50 yards and he put all his shots inside the same hole. I'm not the best iron sight shooter because I have to shoot right handed. Not that I can't shoot right handed, as I shot one of my furthest bucks in the Deschutes canyons at 600 yards right handed. Its just my weak side, you guys know how that is... I'm still wondering if the OP is just wanting to shoot rimfire competition or if he thinks he has to shoot single shot in those comps? My best suggestion to him is to look up some clubs and see what they offer. Someone here may be able to guide him to which clubs are best for that type of shooting as well...

Thanks guys. I really got lucky when I found them. Both exceptional shooters. I actually let a guy shoot my Winchester model 52 the other day. He is an RSO at the new range across the river from my house and he said he used a 52C in rimfire competition where he grew up. I said, I need to let you shoot my rifle then, to see what it can really do. We were shooting at 50 yards and he put all his shots inside the same hole. I'm not the best iron sight shooter because I have to shoot right handed. Not that I can't shoot right handed, as I shot one of my furthest bucks in the Deschutes canyons at 600 yards right handed. Its just my weak side, you guys know how that is... I'm still wondering if the OP is just wanting to shoot rimfire competition or if he thinks he has to shoot single shot in those comps? My best suggestion to him is to look up some clubs and see what they offer. Someone here may be able to guide him to which clubs are best for that type of shooting as well...

Why do you have to shoot irons right handed? I'm a lefty as well.......

Why do you have to shoot irons right handed? I'm a lefty as well.......

Bad left eye my friend. I am still good for shooting left handed with a good scope. The above post where I shot the buck at 600 yards in the Deschutes canyons was because my eye was healing up from an injection...:(. I love to hunt and shoot, so nothing was going to stop or slow me down buddy!!!:)

I'm a righty...but cross eye dominant. Makes shooting with irons a load of fun :D

Bad left eye my friend. I am still good for shooting left handed with a good scope. The above post where I shot the buck at 600 yards in the Deschutes canyons was because my eye was healing up from an injection...:(. I love to hunt and shoot, so nothing was going to stop or slow me down buddy!!!:)

Bingo, makes sense now. I thought maybe there was something I needed to be doing different. :)

Well, i got lucky & don't have to worry about if single shot would limit me. I found a wonderful '38 Winchester 52B with complete Vaver peep sight set, shooting glove, arm "sling" & Unertl blocks. I bought it & added a 15x Unertl. I'll go test it & then go find some local matches to try out. I'd wanted a model c for more trigger adjustment but apparently everyone knows about those & what few i can find are way outside my $ capabilities.

Thanks & i hope to learn great things in this new adventure. Slugging. I'm gonna learn to slug a barrel!

A "Single-Shot Only" competition would indeed be fun. I'd dig out my very first .22 rifle, a Winchester Model 67, true single shot:

2yknTVbl.jpg

It's now wearing an optic and I use it to test box & advertised factory velocities for .22 Long Rifle ammunition with it's 27 inch barrel. Still, a dang fun shooter.

I have several customers, and also, fellow gun club members, who've told me that their .22 rifle is a real "tack-driver". So, I made up a target with orange dots the very same size as an actual "thumb-tack", if only to have a get-together of .22 rimfire rifle enthusiasts to see who really is the 'king' of tack-drivers. Lots of fun. Here's a copy of that target. Feel free to save it as a JPEG file and then print it out to full size. I print it out on tag target paper same as NRA official targets are. Got it off ebay, pretty cheap:

6msWhbNl.jpg

I have several customers, and also, fellow gun club members, who've told me that their .22 rifle is a real "tack-driver". So, I made up a target with orange dots the very same size as an actual "thumb-tack", if only to have a get-together of .22 rimfire rifle enthusiasts to see who really is the 'king' of tack-drivers. Lots of fun. Here's a copy of that target. Feel free to save it as a JPEG file and then print it out to full size. I print it out on tag target paper same as NRA official targets are. Got it off ebay, pretty cheap:

View attachment 808843

Got to keep the accountable, I love it! That looks pretty fun.

Got to keep the accountable, I love it! That looks pretty fun.

When I was a kid I would spend alot of time shooting little green army men with my pellet gun. Super fun! Spend about an hour setting up a few hundred of them in various positions, lay down, and take your time. A mock WW1 trench setup would be great, something like this, from about +/- 25 yards out:

greenarmy1.jpg

I'm looking into upgrading my CZs for some fun competition & i keep seeing these single shot adapters online. As I'm going along finding things i stumbled into an Anschutz 54 looking for a Winchester model 52. The Annie is wonderful, omg what a trigger, the Unertl scope. Im interested in it but i can't find a place for single shot only rifles to compete. I've Google net searched, called people, shops & the range. All I've found is 2 specific bench rest rule sets that require multiple rounds loaded. Nothing for single shot.

What are the single shot adaptors for? What's an old Annie for anymore, competition wise. What event uses single shot only rifles?

Have you checked the Kennmore range? I know they hold regular .22 competitions. I plan to compete and probably loose soon here. Here is their calendar. I think these events are open to non members, they just charge a fee that will be listed on the event description, looks like there is something on the morning of April 3rd: https://www.wcwi.org/calendar/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top