JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been in the market for a single shot .410 shot gun. I noticed that one of the larger online gunshop lists many of their .410 single shots as .410/45lc. Would someone assume from this that they could safely shoot a 45lc from one of these inexpensive .410 single shots? I know that is not the case but why would a large gun shop list a gun in this manner? Anyway I am thinking about a Stevens 301 .410 turkey gun. It comes with screw chokes and a rail for optics. Thinking about a Chaszel 22lr barrel insert and also a 38 special insert to make it a very versatile plinker. A low power scope and a sling,a open choke and for under $500.00 and 3 caliber plinker/camp /hunting gun. Anyone else try anything like this? I have seen some pretty neat modifications to the folding single shots and have thought about that route also ,but the optics rail offered on the 301 turkey gun would make things easy.

I don't know which 'single shots' you are referring to, but the bore diameter of a .410 shotgun is .410" and the diameter of a .45 Colt handgun cartridge is between .451 and .454. So doing the math, unless these "single shots" have a larger bore than .410" - by a significant amount - I am pretty sure it would not be safe to fire a .45 Colt cartridge thru them.

I don't know which 'single shots' you are referring to, but the bore diameter of a .410 shotgun is .410" and the diameter of a .45 Colt handgun cartridge is between .451 and .454. So doing the math, unless these "single shots" have a larger bore than .410" - by a significant amount - I am pretty sure it would not be safe to fire a .45 Colt cartridge thru them.
The online gun shop lists several Hatfield single shots, a couple of Iver johnson single shots and a Savage over and under as .410/45lc. I know shooting a 45lc in these guns is not safe. Just amazed that one of that largest online firearms retailer would make such a mistake on numerous firearms.

Also looking for feedback on the Chaszel 18 inch 22lr barrel insert. Plenty of you tube videos on the 38special 8in insert but not much on the 18in 22lr insert.

I'm a fan of the Chaszel insert.
Provides a barrel of decent length so you can actually get some performance out of your cartridge.
I understand they're "hand built" (most likely on a CNC). I have no doubt the .22 barrel is of equal quality and accuracy of the centerfire inserts.
...btw, becareful what an online retailer tells you.
They sometimes work on obsolete information.
For instance, you mentioned they stock a Savage o/u .45/.410 gun.
I'm sure they made one at one time, but I just searched the website and there is no mention of such a thing.

Not sure about single shot rifles but it seems to work in handguns. I think this is probably the best home defense gun on the market.

B487A23E-D8A3-41A7-B25F-E98DC4378670.jpeg DFB83FA2-F15B-461F-85C0-C6478F5869D4.jpeg DA2C1D5C-CDE9-492F-A1E4-3052359DCA63.jpeg

Not sure about single shot rifles but it seems to work in handguns. I think this is probably the best home defense gun on the market.

View attachment 701804View attachment 701805View attachment 701806

In my opinion it is one of the worst.

.410 is lousy for self-defense, you are better off using the .45 Colt cartridges instead, with a longer barrel and a shorter cylinder for about the same length and weight. Or a .45 ACP in the same sized handgun.

Yes, but for multi family housing (apartment/condo/townhomes) buckshot from a 410 is less likely to go through the walls to visit your neighbor two doors down. Plus when fishing, hunting or just general outdoors you can load the first chamber with 410 for snakes on the Deschutes and the rest with 45lc for larger problems.

Yes, but for multi family housing (apartment/condo/townhomes) buckshot from a 410 is less likely to go through the walls to visit your neighbor two doors down. Plus when fishing, hunting or just general outdoors you can load the first chamber with 410 for snakes on the Deschutes and the rest with 45lc for larger problems.

I just love it when people have to fight about how right their opinion is and how wrong others are. The entire reason for my post was to comment on the 45 through a 410 bore and point out that it works in a handgun but not sure about a long gun. The remainder is "MY OWN OPINION" and not up for debate.

Last Edited:
Broke thousands off clay targets with a 410 but other than a few grouse and a handful of rabbits never killed much with it. Still would not want to take a 410 slug in the knee or anywhere else for that matter. The tightly choked 410 turkey guns are remarkably Lethal on big Toms and I,m sure would leave a gaping hole in most flesh and bone targets. Doubt you could get much of a pattern out of a 2 1/2 in pistol barrel . Still would be nasty at close range !

If someone breaks into your house and all you have is a .410 shotgun, don't curl up into the fetal position and wait for the inevitable because you "only" have a .410...load that puppy up and go defend your property!
Getting shot with anything is gonna hurt like &*$%^@#!!!!!
...and Heretic, the .45/.410 guns are chambered for .45, but it seems .410 is close enough (and has enough flex built into the shell) to work.
T/C started this whole thing way back in '71.

Dean

I don't know which 'single shots' you are referring to, but the bore diameter of a .410 shotgun is .410" and the diameter of a .45 Colt handgun cartridge is between .451 and .454. So doing the math, unless these "single shots" have a larger bore than .410" -

This. With a "BUT." Those specialized .410's that are rated to also shoot .45 Colt do not have .410 bore. They have something larger to accommodate the .45 Colt bullet which as stated is larger than true .410. Like the NEF Survivor or the T/C Contender, and others. The NEF and Contender both have special removable chokes that come out for shooting .45 bullets. The chokes are not funnel shaped constriction but several vanes that straighten the shot pattern out so it doesn't spiral from the rather shallow rifling provided for a .45 bullet. I've owned both, never patterned them. I have one of the Survivors now, have fired mostly .45 bullets in it. I read somewhere on another forum that the Survivor when fired with .410 shells doesn't pattern well. I don't think of a .410 for much of serious hunting, more like pest critters. If a person didn't have very much money, the NEF Survivor such as it is with the short barrel and all would be a pretty good value for self defense in the home and any pest control needed. With .45 Colt cartridges loaded with 255 gr. lead flat nose, at 30 yards I was able to hit the black ball on a military paper target pretty consistently. And that's with the brass bead up front sight only. After about 15 shots and the gun heated up some, the point of impact started to rise. Which is not uncommon on NEF single shots. You put a rubber O-ring between the barrel and the forend when you assemble it, this settles that down some. You're kinda floating the barrel this way.

My T/C Contender(s) went away. I've owned several. I never could shoot those well in any caliber. It would take me 10 or 20 years to learn this all over again. Once again I was attracted by the versatility factor. Which we were discussing lately in another post. Those Contenders were expensive toys.

there is never a perfect solution that covers every problem and I think it's great to have options for sure, but I don't ever want to be on the business end of this scattered mess..........;)

7F7F437C-B415-4DD1-95E7-519104C55C92.jpeg 3ADE062D-F30D-45F4-8B29-3BB5BE7B7E41.jpeg 142C4CA3-EEB8-4578-A1CA-C1CB5BB4136D.jpeg

I have a .410/.22 LR combo (SA M6 Scout) - and yes, I would not want to get shot with it. Doesn't make it anything more than a last resort in my armory. If I have a home invader, I will be running for the 12 ga, not the .410

I don't live in an populated area so over penetration is not as much of an issue. But I do use the 12 ga because in three directions (north, south, west) I do have neighbors about 100 yards away and a rifle or a handgun may make it to the road or their house, even with a lot of big trees in the way. Much less likely with a shotgun - and I only need to reach out to about 20 yards or so in most scenarios I expect to encounter here.

You get/use what you think you need, but I think using a .410 for self-defense is a sub-optimum solution.

Last Edited:
Love the 410/22 and 20ga./22 over/under's, always wanted to put one in my collection, however, opportunity and available funds have never seemed to cross paths at the same time. I have also heard of a 233 being offered in that mix but have never actually seen that unicorn (but would love to).

That seems to me like it would be a great combination. I know you're not a fan of 410 for the same uses I am but one I regret selling ( since it's been difficult to replace) is my Winchester 9410 lever action 410. When I was stationed in North Carolina in the 90's you couldn't hunt deer with center fire rifles, you had to use scatter guns and that was a very common one to use. But I think I may have still been willing to trade it in on a 223/20!

Winchester 9410 lever action 410.

I remember these. At one time when they were still in production (that wasn't very long), I thought about getting one. But I never did because they weren't cheap (and after all, they were a .410!). The cheapest one was over $500 in 1995 money, which was worth more. Used examples now bring over a grand. Which sounds about right considering the time value of money. They were not rated for .45 bullets, they had the true .410 bore. They were made in several different versions and barrel configurations. I think it was the novelty of the design that intrigued me most. Plus, it was a Winchester. No matter when made, always a little boost.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top