Defensive Arts
Low Price Guns
Southwest Firearms Forum
J&B Firearm Sales
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

single shot .410/45lc

skeetshtr

Reactions
I have been in the market for a single shot .410 shot gun. I noticed that one of the larger online gunshop lists many of their .410 single shots as .410/45lc. Would someone assume from this that they could safely shoot a 45lc from one of these inexpensive .410 single shots? I know that is not the case but why would a large gun shop list a gun in this manner? Anyway I am thinking about a Stevens 301 .410 turkey gun. It comes with screw chokes and a rail for optics. Thinking about a Chaszel 22lr barrel insert and also a 38 special insert to make it a very versatile plinker. A low power scope and a sling,a open choke and for under $500.00 and 3 caliber plinker/camp /hunting gun. Anyone else try anything like this? I have seen some pretty neat modifications to the folding single shots and have thought about that route also ,but the optics rail offered on the 301 turkey gun would make things easy.

Reactions
I don't know which 'single shots' you are referring to, but the bore diameter of a .410 shotgun is .410" and the diameter of a .45 Colt handgun cartridge is between .451 and .454. So doing the math, unless these "single shots" have a larger bore than .410" - by a significant amount - I am pretty sure it would not be safe to fire a .45 Colt cartridge thru them.

OP
S

skeetshtr

Reactions
I don't know which 'single shots' you are referring to, but the bore diameter of a .410 shotgun is .410" and the diameter of a .45 Colt handgun cartridge is between .451 and .454. So doing the math, unless these "single shots" have a larger bore than .410" - by a significant amount - I am pretty sure it would not be safe to fire a .45 Colt cartridge thru them.
The online gun shop lists several Hatfield single shots, a couple of Iver johnson single shots and a Savage over and under as .410/45lc. I know shooting a 45lc in these guns is not safe. Just amazed that one of that largest online firearms retailer would make such a mistake on numerous firearms.

OP
S

skeetshtr

Reactions
Also looking for feedback on the Chaszel 18 inch 22lr barrel insert. Plenty of you tube videos on the 38special 8in insert but not much on the 18in 22lr insert.

DeanMk

Reactions
I'm a fan of the Chaszel insert.
Provides a barrel of decent length so you can actually get some performance out of your cartridge.
I understand they're "hand built" (most likely on a CNC). I have no doubt the .22 barrel is of equal quality and accuracy of the centerfire inserts.
...btw, becareful what an online retailer tells you.
They sometimes work on obsolete information.
For instance, you mentioned they stock a Savage o/u .45/.410 gun.
I'm sure they made one at one time, but I just searched the website and there is no mention of such a thing.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Purchased two handguns there and have one on consignment now nice folks!
    • rl280
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to help my buddy with his purchase and ended up trading in a 1911 towards a CZ SP-01 Tactical. They gave a higher price that some of the...
    • nosbocaj

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS