JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while ago I posted a thread about 357 cases that don't seem to seal well with the W296.

It was brought to my attention that the light bullets (110 and 125) can cause lots of wear on the forcing cone with my loads and upon close inspection that is the case, it erodes the edge of the barrelface too much for my liking. I've shot roughly 900 magnum loads like that and can see which direction this is going....*eyeroll*. I also shoot tons of 38spl out of it but those aren't a concern "bunnyfart trailboss loads"

While I do not use 110 projectiles anymore with the W296 and have upped to 158gr for that powder, I would like to find a powder that is not as hot and violent as the W296 for my 125gr projectiles.

I have read a lot of info about single base and double base powders but can not for the life of me find info on WHICH powders are single base.

I use Longshot in my 45ACP loads and they are very accurate.

I tried some 357mag loads and they seem pretty good too but I don't know if Longshot causes the same excessive erosion. I also used some Titegroup. Accurate but not enough "oompf" for my liking.

I generally would aim for 1400fps or more for a good stout magnum load through my 6" Python but would like to reduce the wear and tear at this point. Are there any Powder recommendations for this plan and can someone educate me more on the single base powders?

Thank you and happy reloading!

I resorted to Unique for my lightweight bullet loads in .357 Magnum years ago and have since moved to Power Pistol. It provides just a little more "oomph" with the 125 gr JHP loads, and seems to be kinder to the forcing cone and top strap of my revolvers Than H-110/W296. Some might suggest Alliant 2400 or Blue Dot, but I found them somewhat dirty and both left a lot of unburned powder in my experience. Pretty happy with Power Pistol, also use it with Keith style semi wadcutters at around 1200 fps with a 170 gr bullet out of a 6" GP-100. Not bad for around 8 grs. of powder. Accurate No. 9 might be another option, as it seemed more flexible than H-110/W296. I used to use a lot of it in Silhouette matches with a 10" T/C Contender.

Vihtavuori is single base, and it's the cleanest powder I've used so far by a longshot. Speaking of "Longshot", I just bought a pound of it. Does it burn clean at all? Or does the pistol look like it's been dragged 4 miles through wet dirt after 200 rounds like other Hodgdon' powders? Lol!!

In my opinion, longshot seems relatively clean. It might depend on the load. I use it also for 45acp. so far i only notice the muzzle end of the gun getting pretty dirty. In the 357, the cases look pretty clean but it doesn't have enough "oompf" for my liking.

I have read multiple times that Greendot is actually very similar to Reddot and burns just a tad faster. I used it also in 45acp and 38spl, works pretty good. The consensus seems to be to use the Red dot data and just use a tad less greendot.

In my opinion, longshot seems relatively clean. It might depend on the load. I use it also for 45acp. so far i only notice the muzzle end of the gun getting pretty dirty. In the 357, the cases look pretty clean but it doesn't have enough "oompf" for my liking.

I have read multiple times that Greendot is actually very similar to Reddot and burns just a tad faster. I used it also in 45acp and 38spl, works pretty good. The consensus seems to be to use the Red dot data and just use a tad less greendot.
Ok cool, thank you for the feedback. Hopefully it'll burn clean in some hot 10mm loads I develop

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top