JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find it amazing the prices the military us government 1911s are bringing
The 1911s we used sounded like a marble in a tin can when you shook them
The only thing I was certain of was that if you pulled the trigger on a live round a bullet was coming out the barrel. The accuracy was abysmal.

I find it amazing the prices the military us government 1911s are bringing
The 1911s we used sounded like a marble in a tin can when you shook them
The only thing I was certain of was that if you pulled the trigger on a live round a bullet was coming out the barrel. The accuracy was abysmal.
Every old Colt I ever thought of buying rattled like a baby rattle :p

Belongs to a good friend. He bought it for $2k. 1918 IIRC 19171.jpg 19175.jpg

1917.jpg 19174.jpg

Yep and many moons ago (at the ripe old age of 18) I decided I wanted an 'Army .45' - so a friend of mine told me he had one to sell and I said bring it over. So he did and it was in some sort of 'US' holster and when I pulled it out and looked it over it did not say 'Colt' - but had the markings ''S. Mfg. Co' on the side. I declined stating I wanted a real Colt...... - the price? $250.00 at the time.....

I would totally go Singer over Colt of the same condition and price, respectively. I love obscure war time production models. There is much more story in a Singer than a Colt, IMO... probably why I prefer my carbines to be RockOla!

Yep and many moons ago (at the ripe old age of 18) I decided I wanted an 'Army .45' - so a friend of mine told me he had one to sell and I said bring it over. So he did and it was in some sort of 'US' holster and when I pulled it out and looked it over it did not say 'Colt' - but had the markings ''S. Mfg. Co' on the side. I declined stating I wanted a real Colt...... - the price? $250.00 at the time.....

Isn't funny that when you are 18 you know everything there is to know and as you get older you realize how much you don't know. I am 67 and still realizing that every day but I try to learn something new everyday.

Isn't funny that when you are 18 you know everything there is to know and as you get older you realize how much you don't know.
Man ain't that the truth! In the case of the Singer however I had virtually no experience with 1911s at that juncture in my life and all I knew was 'Colt .45' - and only a few 'clones' at the time. I did not learn about the Singer and the other Mfgs. of period 1911s (and the potential values) until later when I owned a couple - and they were Colt's but more modern ones.

When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.
But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
Mark Twain

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads