Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Since when did standard mags become "high capacity"??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mason3379, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

I am tired of seeing all of the ad's in the classifieds saying Glock "high capacity" magazines! Since when is a Glock 17 factory magazine "high capacity"?? Isn't that STANDARD CAPACITY for a Glock 17 unless you live in commi cali or possibly a few other states?? As far as I know most 10 round magazines are California Specials, so how does this make every thing over that "HIGH CAPACITY"??
    Sorry for the rant, I am just tired of people posting misleading ad's!!

P.S. this does not just go for Glocks, it pretty much goes for anything of the sort!

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Some time around 1993 or 1994, I believe.

3. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

What about those "pre-ban" mags adds? Am I missing something or these sellers assuming +10rds mags are as good as banned already?

4. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83 Gresham/Boring Well-Known Member

I don't know, but this is one of the few things that drives me nuts sometimes. People are just feeding into the stereotype. 33 round fun sticks are standard capacity for the Glock 18 correct? As far as I am concerned if the firearm was designed to use a 6, 7, 13, 17, 25, 30, 60, 100, .... round magazine or if said number of rounds is the common magazine size, then said number of rounds is standard capacity for said firearm. It really gets me when someone calls a Glock 21 high capacity, because it carries more than 10 rounds. What a joke.

In my personal experience, standard capacity for AR-15's is 30 to 100 rounds, full size 9mm 15 rounds is the lower limit for standard capacity(preference more more), Semi auto 22lr anything below 25 rounds is low capacity.

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

10 rounds was chosen arbitrarily as a "standard" capacity sometime before the first AWB.
    It has no bearing in reality. The beginning of the end was when retailers started pushing "high capacity" as a buzz word to sell accessories.

6. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

I like that even the compact magazines for my XDm are "high capacity" The fact a pistol that small holds 14 rounds and 20 with the full size mag was a selling point to me. I also love the deeply flawed logic my pistol will become instantly more safe to myself and others if it held 3 fewer rounds...

7. Mason3379

I think you are uninformed...If that is the case why is it that every gun as far as Glock lineup (and several others) sell "California Legal" (come with ten round mags) and everything else is STANDARD CAPACITY??!! Glock 17 Standard capacity is 17 rounds. Glock 17 standard is 15 rounds and so on and so on. It is NOT ten rounds. Look it up, anything typically that only comes with ten as far as this style of firearm amongst others are "California Legal" Not "HIGH CAPACITY"!

8. Modeler

It was a joke, meant to roughly reflect what MrNiceGuy said after me. It was something made up by politicians to sell a law.

9. Mason3379

Sorry, this stuff is just driving me crazy to watch these idiots!

10. Modeler

Agreed. It's gonna be a long year.

11. NOMOREBS

NOMOREBS vancouver Member

Honestly I don’t know what everyone in getting worked up for their banning “clips” not magazines. :cool:

12. Bill Carson

Bill Carson SW Washington New Member

Luckily my "clips" only hold 8 rounds of 30-06. All my magazines are standard capacity.

13. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

The liberal lamestream media & gun banning polititians made that crap up in the 1990's just for stereotyping the evil assault weapons. A 30 round military magazine is, in fact, "Standard Capacity".

14. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

I will not call a rifle or carbine an assault weapon. The style of a rifle is not an assault. I really dislike the liberal use of buzz words to create interest when they obviously do not apply.

15. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I've heard both terms 'magazine clips' strung together several times now too.