JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a Simunitions (or equivalent) training course open to civilians in the greater Portland or Vancouver area.

My wife and I took a home defense simunitions course in New Hampshire and it was a fantastic experience, albeit a bit painful learning!

I'm looking for home defense or urban defense scenario training.

Can anyone recommend training facilities?

Threat dynamics has that. Simulated guns that feel real with immersion training in their 360 degree video simulator. You can even wear a 5000 volt shock belt that simulates getting shot.

They are a lot of fun, and surprisingly realistic. The bullets projectiles are soap that will break unprotected skin, so you know that you've been shot when you read the situation wrong!

I've been through the TD sims a couple of times, they go past fun into immersive really quick. The times I've gone the belts were out of service. I felt it was a good thing. Not sure I want the 'hit' :)

I'm actually surprised that there isn't something in Portland already. It is a very powerful tool that until recently was only available to law enforcement. Because the gear is realistic, the consequences of poor decisions are immediate (and painful!), it is a very effective means of scenario training.

Force Concepts Group is getting this set up now. They are offering a six month threat dynamics class which culminates in a simunition day. Hopefully that program will expand in the future. Just google them, they have a lot of great courses with VERY qualified instructors.

Yea, those things hurt like hell! My department uses those in a variety of scenarios that guaranteed you'd get hit sometime (1 on 1 malfunction drills- first one done fires at the other guy- then onto the next malfunction). We had a female SWAT officer that took great pride in shooting us in the groin every time on building entry (sometimes she would hang from the ceiling). Lots of bruises and cut skin on the hands- but my department took its in-service training seriously. We had a TV room for shot/don't shoot too, but everyone agreed we learned way more with Simunitions, and it generated realistic stress.

While I realize there is a difference between simmunition, airsoft is often a much more budget friendly option. In most cases, simmunition ammo is close to $1/rd, granted you're not going to be shooting that much, but it certainly cuts into the budget.

I've played bad-guy on more than a few occasions for the local swat team, thankfully the scars are fading.

as people have said before threat dynamics is a good learning experience and what not, the belt helps with learning from your mistakes.

But I would also love to find a simmunitions spot to practice at for sure!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top