Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Simunitions training in Portland or Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by rutilate, Sep 26, 2014.

1. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

I'm looking for a Simunitions (or equivalent) training course open to civilians in the greater Portland or Vancouver area.

My wife and I took a home defense simunitions course in New Hampshire and it was a fantastic experience, albeit a bit painful learning!

I'm looking for home defense or urban defense scenario training.

Can anyone recommend training facilities?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. pdxsam

pdxsam Portland New Member

I've seen some of those simunitions things on the you tube. That looks like fun!

3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Threat dynamics has that. Simulated guns that feel real with immersion training in their 360 degree video simulator. You can even wear a 5000 volt shock belt that simulates getting shot.

4. rutilate

They are a lot of fun, and surprisingly realistic. The bullets projectiles are soap that will break unprotected skin, so you know that you've been shot when you read the situation wrong!

5. pdxsam

pdxsam Portland New Member

I've been through the TD sims a couple of times, they go past fun into immersive really quick. The times I've gone the belts were out of service. I felt it was a good thing. Not sure I want the 'hit' :)

6. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

I think this would be a great thing to get into the franchise option...would love to bring it to my community, and am quite sure it would do well with the proper marketing (and financial backing...;).

7. S3v3n

S3v3n Beaverton, Or Active Member

I know alot of people that would jump at the chance to do this kind of training

Monica Cowles likes this.
  8. rutilate

I'm actually surprised that there isn't something in Portland already. It is a very powerful tool that until recently was only available to law enforcement. Because the gear is realistic, the consequences of poor decisions are immediate (and painful!), it is a very effective means of scenario training.

9. BrimstoneGunsmithing

BrimstoneGunsmithing Amboy, WA New Member

Force Concepts Group is getting this set up now. They are offering a six month threat dynamics class which culminates in a simunition day. Hopefully that program will expand in the future. Just google them, they have a lot of great courses with VERY qualified instructors.

10. Parke brown

Parke brown Near Buffalo NY New Member

Yea, those things hurt like hell! My department uses those in a variety of scenarios that guaranteed you'd get hit sometime (1 on 1 malfunction drills- first one done fires at the other guy- then onto the next malfunction). We had a female SWAT officer that took great pride in shooting us in the groin every time on building entry (sometimes she would hang from the ceiling). Lots of bruises and cut skin on the hands- but my department took its in-service training seriously. We had a TV room for shot/don't shoot too, but everyone agreed we learned way more with Simunitions, and it generated realistic stress.

rutilate likes this.
  11. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

Gun broker in cal used to have one but as I recall some guy shot himself in the gut.

12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

While I realize there is a difference between simmunition, airsoft is often a much more budget friendly option. In most cases, simmunition ammo is close to $1/rd, granted you're not going to be shooting that much, but it certainly cuts into the budget.

I've played bad-guy on more than a few occasions for the local swat team, thankfully the scars are fading.

Parke brown likes this.
  13. Parke brown

Parke brown Near Buffalo NY New Member

Yea, pain is a hell of a teacher.:s0114:

14. Tatanka

Tatanka Hillsboro, Oregon Member

as people have said before threat dynamics is a good learning experience and what not, the belt helps with learning from your mistakes.

But I would also love to find a simmunitions spot to practice at for sure!

15. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

A primed case with a soap, wax plug or a hot glue bullet will do the same at almost no cost

Raidingtime likes this.
  16. Raidingtime

Raidingtime SE Portland Oregon Well-Known Member

can you make a video of you doing this and shooting them please? Sounds like an interesting idea