JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a video on u-tube on removing the pig tail spring, claims that is all he needed to improve the trigger. I tried removing the pigtail spring and only changed the trigger pull by 1 pound or less. The trigger was at 10.5-11.0 with all factory springs after firing 100 rounds throught it, now seems to be 9.5-10.5 with the pigtail spring removed.
Did not make much of a difference, I will try removing the other spring and test it again just to see how much difference it makes but am ordering a spring from wolff and will test the pressure again with the new spring installed.

-Steve

Steve, some of the Sigma's only have one coil spring on the trigger, so they only need to remove the pigtail. My guess would be that the guy on youtube only had the one instead of the doubled coil.

Steve, some of the Sigma's only have one coil spring on the trigger, so they only need to remove the pigtail. My guess would be that the guy on youtube only had the one instead of the doubled coil.

I just removed the outer spring, both outer spring and the pigtail spring removed and the trigger is at 8.2-8.4 lbs. Not as bad as it was in original configuration but I will be installing the wolff spring as soon as it gets here. The small inner factory spring seems to have alot of side flexing going on, doesnt seem real stabill in my opinion. I will let you know how the wolff spring fits and if there is any trigger pull improvement.

-Steve

So what does the pigtail spring do? :s0093:
I have been wondering that myself. The video and posts I have seen have said to remove it because it was put there to increase trigger pull. On a scale it didnt make much of a difference when removed. I think may try reinstalling it when the Wolff spring arrives and retest the pull with and without the pigtail spring. I am pretty sure the video and posts I have seen are not from gunsmiths or experts on the design of this gun. I am going to look into what a knowledgable trigger person recommends for Sigma trigger improvement.
-Steve

ive taken my sigma nicely apart and then took out the pig-tail spring and put it back together and noticed it was a little heavy on the trigger still. so i re-opened the sigma then took the outer spring off, now it pulls just the way i want. i cant wait to take it to the range. i heard from other forums that lowering the lbs on the trigger helps with the accuracy. cant wait and thankz.
p.s. the pix helped alot. :s0155:

Nice writeup. I'd do just one thing differently. I agree that the "pigtail" spring is there only to increase trigger pull for "safety." The other spring however is the striker spring and I'd be afraid of getting light strikes by that method.

Midway sells a lighter Wolff replacement spring for that for $6 and I'd buy it and swap to that since it's engineered and tested for that purpose. Link I'd still leave out that pigtail spring.

I have a friend who did that, and I'd say his trigger is now similar to a Glock. Not bad, not great, but not the animal it was when new. Big improvement. :s0155:

BTW, those guns seem to be very dependable - bang every time.

Gunner...the link you are referencing is the striker spring, but it is located in the slide...wrapped around the striker pin...which contacts the primer and strikes the round. You have to pry off the end cap of the slide to get to this one and it will fly out at you! When replaced, it does reduce trigger pull just a hair. I did this mod on my .40sw sigma, but not my 9mm sigma...I'm not sure I can feel a difference.
I don't know what the doubled straight coiled springs are called...no diagram in the owners manual...but thought from your reply...you were calling them striker springs...just clarifying this. A striker spring in that location might be a problem?
I did do the other two spring fixes and I do enjoy shooting these guns now! They are my "reload testers" due to their low purchase cost...and dependability...feeding will smooth out with time, but, I'm going to do some ramp polishing on another gun...thanks for the tips guys.

Also thought you'd like this link...directly to Wolff
<broken link removed>

...gives access to all springs for just about any gun...shipping is us mail and typically cheaper on the wallet...gone to them twice...no problems.

Happy shooting! :s0155:

Gunner...the link you are referencing is the striker spring, but it is located in the slide...wrapped around the striker pin...which contacts the primer and strikes the round. You have to pry off the end cap of the slide to get to this one and it will fly out at you! When replaced, it does reduce trigger pull just a hair. I did this mod on my .40sw sigma, but not my 9mm sigma...I'm not sure I can feel a difference.
I don't know what the doubled straight coiled springs are called...no diagram in the owners manual...but thought from your reply...you were calling them striker springs...just clarifying this. A striker spring in that location might be a problem?
I did do the other two spring fixes and I do enjoy shooting these guns now! They are my "reload testers" due to their low purchase cost...and dependability...feeding will smooth out with time, but, I'm going to do some ramp polishing on another gun...thanks for the tips guys.

Also thought you'd like this link...directly to Wolff
<broken link removed>

...gives access to all springs for just about any gun...shipping is us mail and typically cheaper on the wallet...gone to them twice...no problems.

Correct! I simply should have said "the other spring you should replace is..."

I gave a link to the Wolff striker spring and called it the striker spring. Midway also calls it the striker spring and says this about it at that link:

"These reduced power striker springs reduce the trigger pull weight, increasing trigger control and shooting accuracy."

The price of that new Wolff striker spring at that link is $3.39. There are instructions for replacing it on that page.

i just got done and test fired it. holy $#@! what a huge differance it made my sigma is now compareable to an m&p .40.ive probably fired a couple thousand rnds through mine so i got used to the trigger pull but didnt like it,but now i need ta change my shorts their a little sticky:s0114:.its like having a brand new gun. this thread may be the best thread ive ever seen here yet. cant thank you enough for sharing this info:s0155:

i just got done and test fired it. holy $#@! what a huge differance it made my sigma is now compareable to an m&p .40.ive probably fired a couple thousand rnds through mine so i got used to the trigger pull but didnt like it,but now i need ta change my shorts their a little sticky:s0114:.its like having a brand new gun. this thread may be the best thread ive ever seen here yet. cant thank you enough for sharing this info:s0155:

Which of the different available mods did you do, exactly? As in, "exactly" what all did you change? :)

If it's that good, inquiring minds want to know. :s0114: :s0114: :s0114:

my paticular sigma is the sw 40ve.i removed the pig tailed spring and the larger coil spring exactaly as the original poster described.im kinda like a big kid so i had ta test it right away.if you follow the directions step for step the way he lists the results speak for themselves.results may vary as my springs have seen alot of use new springs may be stiffer.

I've also got the sw40ve.

Finally got to shoot mine, yeah HUGE difference.

So far, here are my mods
1. Trigger Fix I posted here
2. LWD Glock19 Stainless Captive Guide Rod - modded to fit glock (shortened slightly to match length.

I have a 40.. trigger pull like a construction stapler and occasionally jams

Here's my solution:

Step one.. insert into safe

Step two... forget it exists

Here's my solution:

Step one: do the modification as posted.
Step two: polish the ramp.

These two steps made mine (40VE) flawless and ate any type of ammo I used. I fired probably around two or three thousand rounds through mine and never had a problem other than Gold Dot ammo and after polishing the ramp even those fed fine. Wish I hadnt let my brother talk me out of it.

Here's my solution:

Thats funny! My Bostich stapler has a much nicer trigger than the stock Sigma.
You should take that .40 out of the safe, sell it to me cheap! I'll fix the trigger, it's a win/win situation.
Do the 40s have a issue with feeding? The 9mm I bought for the wife had a lousy trigger originally but has never jammed.
-Steve

Step one: do the modification as posted.
Step two: polish the ramp.

These two steps made mine (40VE) flawless and ate any type of ammo I used. I fired probably around two or three thousand rounds through mine and never had a problem other than Gold Dot ammo and after polishing the ramp even those fed fine. Wish I hadnt let my brother talk me out of it.

I do not feel comfortable doing these mods without a serious evaluation by a qualified smith. At least it works now and is somewhat reliable and could be a working loaner in an emergency

I've been shooting both my modified Sigma 40 and it twin Nine since my last post in January...probably 2k plus rounds each...mostly my own reloads...with no problems. For test guns, I like em as much as my Glocks and XDMs. Not really sure what you're worried about...I mod most of my pistols. Just keep the parts, you can always put em back to original! Its a really fun gun to shoot, once you fix the trigger! Its not exactly the type of gun thats worthy of the "safe queen" title anyway. :D

I've been shooting both my modified Sigma 40 and it twin Nine since my last post in January...probably 2k plus rounds each...mostly my own reloads...with no problems. For test guns, I like em as much as my Glocks and XDMs. Not really sure what you're worried about...I mod most of my pistols. Just keep the parts, you can always put em back to original! Its a really fun gun to shoot, once you fix the trigger! Its not exactly the type of gun thats worthy of the "safe queen" title anyway. :D

More like a safe scullery maid :s0112:

Just did the trigger springs removal on a Sigma .40 - excellent suggestions. Reduced the unbearable 11.5 lb (almost off the 12 lb scale on a Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge) to a more bearable 8 lb 13 oz (avg of 5 pulls). Much better!! Wish I could lose over 2 lbs. that fast!! :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top