Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Simple tools

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by duginsky, Nov 21, 2010.

1. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Does anyone know of a shop in the area that sells simple gunsmithing tools? I am specifically trying to find brass punches, roll pin punches, and a carding brush. Tried Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and my local hardware store; no such luck. I may have to suck it up and pay shipping for Brownells or Midway...

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Harbor freight has brass punches as well as small sets of regular punches for the roll pins. They also have small plastic/rubber hammers. Those type of tools are OK from them I just dont buy electrical tools there.

3. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

4. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Thanks for the links; some of the punch sets I'd been eyeing on the Brownell and Midway sites are sold out - frankly that's what drove me to look locally - to no avail...I hear you on Harbor Freight; you get what you pay for. I had a torque wrENch from there that snapped the socket lug off on the first minor use of it...

5. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

If not Midway, then Brownells, and if not them, there are many others on the Net. Tools like this I've quit shopping locally (Portland area) as the selection is limited and the drive more than eats up the shipping cost.

6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I buy all my small punches from Sears, and its no hassle replacing them a few times a year. And they do have a small set of roll pin punches. Brass I get from Brownells, of from the brass scrap bin at a local machine shop.

7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Sears and Grabbucks is a good source with great warranty.

I made those weekly payments on the tool trucks for years but found that few automotive tools transition to gunsmith work. Punches and files cross over OK. Check evil bay for used Snap-on punches, you can dress the ends and they are as good as new, mostly:D

I want a full set of screw slot files but they are $45 each!:(

8. SJS46

SJS46 yamhill county Active Member

I picked up my roll pin punches at that little tool store at the south end of Lancaster Dr don't remember the name, they also have a large selection of brass punches.

You only really need #1 thru #5 roll pin punches.

9. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Hall tool in Ptld.

10. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

I inquired about a brass punch at the local/smaller hardware store and was told "just buy a brass bolt, they're like a quarter", so I bought two. They've worked great so far, just ground a little off the ends to make em square.

11. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Brilliant!