JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal to sell a replica percussion pistol without a back ground check?

Sorry if I appear too lazy to look it up myself. Reading pages of legal gobeldy-goop to find the one pertinent sentence is too difficult for this brain it appears.

Many thanks in advance!

Replica as in not authentic or as in non a working gun?

If it's the first then the C&R will have to chime in cuz I'm too lazy to go find it too:D:p.

If it's a non working gun then no but I'm guessing you knew that.

This is a list of black powder firearms that do require a background check.

As to your bp pistol, no, no check needed!
I will add that some gun stores dont care if its black powder or not, and they will do a check on you!

Savage Model 10ML (early, 1st version)

Mossberg 500 shotgunwith muzzle loading barrel

Remington 870 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel

Mauser 98 rifle with muzzle loading barrel

SKS rifle with muzzle loading barrel

PB sM10 pistol with muzzle loading barrel

H&R/New England Firearm Huntsman

Thompson Center Encore/Contender

Rossi .50 muzzle loading rifle

If it is a "traditional" style muzzleloader , not a modern in line , or a modification to a modern gun , but a antique or replica thereof , then no you do not need a background check.
At least in Washington state and many others , not sure about Oregon ...
But as said above some stores will do so regardless.
Andy

I bought a .577 Snider at Cabelleros, looks like new. Authentic piece. They tried to make me fill out a 4473. I told em if they payed for the bgc I'd fill out the 4473 and if it came back delayed I was taking the rifle anyway. Shoulda seen the looks on their faces, lol ..................

004.JPG

Thank you very much. I was looking at old Charleville muskets then a couple 1795's. Even re-pro's were 8-9 hundred. When I saw this at half that being on original........ Well, I just got lucky. You can hardly get a beat up Nepal for what I got this for. ;)

Is it legal to sell a replica percussion pistol without a back ground check?
Sorry if I appear too lazy to look it up myself. Reading pages of legal gobeldy-goop to find the one pertinent sentence is too difficult for this brain it appears.
Many thanks in advance!

This was discussed last month. Technically, there is no exemption for replica firearms (qualified 18 U.S.C. 921) under the new SB941 in Oregon.

However, the new act neglected to expand ORS 166.434 to replica firearms. So there is no state agency to conduct such a background check. This appears to be a Conflict of Laws.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/pre-1899-gun-for-sale.216782/#post-1421883

As mentioned, federally there is no background check requirement for qualified antiques and replicas under 18 U.S.C. 921. However, only certain statutes of state law exempt replica firearms. For Oregon, these are listed in ORS 166.460. Notably SB941, ORS 166.270, and portions of ORS 166.250 are not exempted.

Last Edited:
There is no requirement for a background check on a black powder pistol or rifle period. A "Replica" of an M1 Garand would require a background check. A "replica" of a pistol or rifle that is exempted from background checks are, well, you get it................. You can go order a black powder gun from Cabelleros and they can send it right to your door. Caveat, someone mentioned modern inlines, I do not know if the regular black powder rules apply there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top