Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Silverton man dies from shotgun blast

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dragonsden73, Feb 27, 2010.

1. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

A Silverton man was killed early this morning when he and several friends were playing with firearms at a party.
    Mark Berry, 22, died from a shotgun wound at a residence on the 400 block of Church Street in Silverton.

Berry and several friends were playing with firearms they thought were unloaded, according to Silverton Police officials.
    The Silverton Police Department responded to the call just after 1 a.m.
    According to Sgt. Jerry Blaylock, Berry died immediately from the single shot.
    Blaylock said Berry and three or four friends were playing around with the firearms and both Berry and another friend had contact with the shotgun when it discharged.
    Police said it appears the shooting was accidental. The incident is still under investigation.
    Blaylock said alcohol was a factor in the incidence.
    Some of the people at the party fled the residence while others remained.
    “Drinking was involved and there were underage kids there,” Blaylock said.
    The people who remained at the residence were cooperative with the police and gave voluntary statements.
    Officers are in the process of tracking down other witnesses who fled the scene.

2. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

Natural selection in action.

3. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

This is why you should make sure to stress gun safety, and proper handeling of fire arms in our children from the earliest age.

Any one with proper a proper edjucation in fire arms would never do this.

These kids had no idea.

4. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Portland, OR Member

And that's the reason why mom to this day is still scared I even own firearms. Its really mind boggling to me how things like this even happen. I mean what are these people thinking? And why is more than 1 person fiddling with it at a time? I can only imagine... "hey let me hold it!" "no, let me hold it!" "no, me!!!" BOOM!! I cant help but think that maybe they deserved it? My heart goes out to Mark, and the Berry family. :(

5. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

The guys probably treated it like it was a toy. And one of there buddies lost his life. Very sad way to learn a valuable lesson. I hope for the best for the family of the guy who died.

6. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I agree this was a process of natural selection.

Obviously these guys were idiots and had no common sense when it comes to firearms/firearms safety.

I'm actually confused to why the govt city/state/or feds get all uptight about gun rights. It helps clear out the stupid people. If we keep guns away from them then they will just breed and create more stupid people.

Honestly this is a sad case, but hard lessoned learned. If you have guns...Don't be stupid.

7. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

Yeah, but if they lose all their stupid people, who'd buy their lottery tickets?

MrB

8. brausso

brausso Mill Creek, WA Member

somebody must have skipped rule number one when going over gun safety with that guy. It's a loss and it's unfortunate for his family.

9. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Ignorance of firearms + Booze = DEAD !!!!!

10. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

This is why "don't worry, its not loaded" is a ban-worthy phrase in my group of friends, and why my friend and I dodged, then nearly assaulted a pawnshop employee for pulling a gun from the case and leveling it at our heads when we asked to see it, followed by that favorite phrase of mine..and a quick departure with the same amount of money we came in with.

Sad, doubly sad that the guy playing with the gun was holding it the right way instead of backwards pointed at himself when he negligently took a life

11. Tilos

Tilos Idaho Active Member

Yup

lottery tickets equals Bubba tax.

You can't fix stupid.

Then Stupid consumes some alcohol (more tax) and decides to fondle some firearms.

Nothing good can come from that.

Tilos

12. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

Ohhh this explains alot. I did not hear the gun shot but I heard some yelling and screaming around 1 am. I was outside having a smoke and my buddy and I kept hearing yelling in the direction of church st. We were both, "like WTF was that?".

13. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

I fully agree that firearm safety education must be stressed more. However, in my opinion a 22 year old is an adult. Not a kid.

14. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

=======================================================

When I was a "kid", I had an uncle, My fathers older brother (17 years older) and he would always call my Dad "son".
    I always thought that was wild because my dad was no kid, Dad was 60 when Uncle Willard died.
    Now here I am with a 23 year old daughter/kid. I now totally understand where Uncle Willard was coming from.

15. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

It's too bad that they leave behind family who has to deal with their mess.

16. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Okay, I'll concede on those grounds. Perspective can change things a lot. It just seems that sometimes people use the term 'kids' to downplay personal responsibility. That obviously wasn't your point:thumbup: