JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, my wife and I have been given power of attorney, and will be the executor of the estate, for her aunt. Said relation is in the final stages of inoperable cancer, so we're handling her affairs in these final days.

She has a decent amount of liquid assets that we're going to be tasked with handling. Most are pretty straight forward though. One weird one, however, is $7,000 in silver certificates. I know these can no longer be redeemed for silver, but they are legal tender like any other dollar bill.

Question for those that might know: do these, generally, have numismatic value to the degree that it would be better selling them as such rather than a deposit for later dispersal to the heirs?

(The only rounds/bars I personally invest in is in investment grade gold and silver, so don't have any solid idea on the value of currency and coin from a collector's standpoint.)

So, my wife and I have been given power of attorney, and will be the executor of the estate, for her aunt. Said relation is in the final stages of inoperable cancer, so we're handling her affairs in these final days.

She has a decent amount of liquid assets that we're going to be tasked with handling. Most are pretty straight forward though. One weird one, however, is $7,000 in silver certificates. I know these can no longer be redeemed for silver, but they are legal tender like any other dollar bill.

Question for those that might know: do these, generally, have numismatic value to the degree that it would be better selling them as such rather than a deposit for later dispersal to the heirs?

(The only rounds/bars I personally invest in is in investment grade gold and silver, so don't have any solid idea on the value of currency and coin from a collector's standpoint.)

Technically, yes they are still legal tender; I've found them in circulation from time to time even up to a few years ago, though not common.

Numismatically, yes there is some value. Generic circulated/worn bills have gotten ~$3 each for a number of years; crisp uncirculated will of course demand premiums.

As with anything collectible there are levels and levels of details you can go into determining value, it's all based on knowledge and research. There are series and signature pairs and serial numbers and star notes and many other differentiations that determine value.

Absolutely don't just deposit for 1:1, even the shadiest coin dealer will give you more than face value though I'd push for much more, even go the ebay bulk route if you have to. I'm sure there would be people on this site who would be interested. I am.

A few more details maybe helpful in regards to denominations, condition, etc. Happy to help further via PM if you don't want to share too many details publicly.

They have some added value as a collectors item, I think the last one I purchased I paid about $2.50 for $1 cert, a $5 silver cert I paid around $10 for. Can get 10 $1 certs for $23 shipped.

Ebay is flooded with large lots you can purchase. Aside from collectors and legal tender, not much beyond that.

Condition is everything numismatically, as others have stated there are serial number rarities and series rarities for every year of production. A very cool stash to find for sure, if you have the time to paruse the sold section of ebay pmg is the company that grades such bills, look up the highest priced sold ones and see if you have any matches. Post up some pictures of the higher quality specimines, we would love to help grade and estimate values.

They have some added value as a collectors item, I think the last one I purchased I paid about $2.50 for $1 cert, a $5 silver cert I paid around $10 for. Can get 10 $1 certs for $23 shipped.

Ebay is flooded with large lots you can purchase. Aside from collectors and legal tender, not much beyond that.

Good clarification on denominations, my $ numbers were all based on $1 Silver Certs. As Dyjital shows, the math is not quite linear but 2x face + is not unreasonable for bulk.

I love silver in any form! I currently have enough that I have to assume a proper lifting stance and grunt to lift it, LOL. I'd love to see some pics of the certificates.

Thanks all. If we're, roughly, looking at 2x face value, then it might best to not just deposit them. Other than eBay (and the like) would anyone know of a way to sell them in bulk (e.g., a firm that specializes in such things? Thanks much.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top