JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All-
i tried a form 1 several years ago and was declined. The best reason I can gather from the letter and research is that i used the word 'multi' when filling out the calibre box.
I want to try again, and am looking to experience rather than the many different suggestions i get off the internet.
1. My lower (aero) is clearly stamped 'multi', but it sounds like the ATF wants to know the caliber of the round you intend to shoot? Currently i have a legal upper chambered in .300 blk. I intend the first sbr to also be chambered in that same calibre. So, in that box, do i list .3oo cal.? or would i be better of at .30 cal? (really dont want to be rejected again..)
2. i believe my other question has been answered by past posts in this forum. I can, once the 1 is approved, have other uppers, both legal and SBR, as long as i keep the original chambering somewhat close by? To remain in compliance, i should just send the ATF an amended form whenever i build another upper in a different calibre than origanally approved for?

It seems straight forward. and the process for approval on the 1 seems much faster than the time it took for approval on my can several years ago.

I appreciate your advice and experience. Many thanks in advance

1) I believe you are now required to pick a caliber. If you think you'll build it in 5.56 just put 5.56 in the box. If 300blk put .30 in the box.

2) As long as you can go back to the original configuration you can have as many uppers for it as you want. ATF prefers you send them an amendment to add the lengths and the calibers but it is not necessary. I don't.

1) I believe you are now required to pick a caliber. If you think you'll build it in 5.56 just put 5.56 in the box. If 300blk put .30 in the box.

2) As long as you can go back to the original configuration you can have as many uppers for it as you want. ATF prefers you send them an amendment to add the lengths and the calibers but it is not necessary. I don't.

You need to pick a caliber that you intend to build first.

#2 is incorrect. You don't need to have the ability to go back to your original configuration. And the only time the ATF would like to know anything about your SBR is if you make a permanent change. But even with that, there is no requirement to do so. So you can have as many different uppers as you want, you don't have to notify anyone. What on an AR is really permanent?

#3 which you didnt ask, is..... It is only an NFA item subject to NFA laws, when it is in a NFA configuration. So slap a 16" upper on it and you can do whatever is legal with any other rifle. Cross state lines as you please, etc.

IS you lower a bare receiver, never built as a rifle? or was it a previous gun you had? Reason being, you could build it as a pistol first. Then if you wanted to later, convert it back to a pistol for whatever reason. That is NOT something you can do it it was first a rifle.

IS you lower a bare receiver, never built as a rifle? or was it a previous gun you had? Reason being, you could build it as a pistol first. Then if you wanted to later, convert it back to a pistol for whatever reason. That is NOT something you can do it it was first a rifle.

:s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108: the guys that came up with that are dumb. How the hell am I supposed to know how it was configured before I got it if I bought it stripped 2nd hand?

You need to pick a caliber that you intend to build first.

#2 is incorrect. You don't need to have the ability to go back to your original configuration. And the only time the ATF would like to know anything about your SBR is if you make a permanent change. But even with that, there is no requirement to do so. So you can have as many different uppers as you want, you don't have to notify anyone. What on an AR is really permanent?

#3 which you didnt ask, is..... It is only an NFA item subject to NFA laws, when it is in a NFA configuration. So slap a 16" upper on it and you can do whatever is legal with any other rifle. Cross state lines as you please, etc.

it was a bare receiver. Bought last year before the lockdown. I built it first as a rifle. I intend to get an SBR stamp for it though

Yes, that's a very silly question.

But, what is a silly question to you, may be important to another person so there are no silly questions on this forum.:s0005:

:s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108::s0108: the guys that came up with that are dumb. How the hell am I supposed to know how it was configured before I got it if I bought it stripped 2nd hand?

Yep, your right it is dumb. IMO, AR "pistols" are dumb, but there is a place for them. Unfortunately its yet another stupid rule/law that people have to dance around.

I have to disagree.

If you no longer have the upper in the length and caliber you cannot configure the rifle to the stated configuration and hence a permanent change. if you keep the upper you are free and clear. You can readily go back to the declared configuration.

I know the ATF will not agree with you getting rid of the declared configuration. They will tell you you need to update your F4.

It's a very similar question to "can I use X upper on my machine gun". Answer is yes but if you get rid of the upper it is declared with the ATF wants you to update your F4 with them. If I sell my 45 upper for my mac and only have the Max10/31 upper I can no longer go back to the original configuration and must inform the ATF it's new OAL, it's new caliber and new barrel length. SBR is the same in that regard.

As we all know the info you get from the ATF will vary by day and by who you talk to and they won't even abide by their own opinions and determinations.

This info is per last I asked between now and last May.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top