JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On one hand, yeah its an example of very early jet designs that may or may not have potential.. on the other hand... F7U Cutlass, anyone? A design that got put into service and were far more flawed in terms of handling and such... to say nothing of the tailsitters that were just... awful. Honestly though; perhaps Burt Rutan could be convinced to tweak the HE162 basic layout/concept into something that would actually work as intended with a turbofan.

Yes. I'm still sticking to turbofan :p

Maybe a different wing form but one that gives it more speed potential and still be a flying boat (or canoe for that matter :p )

Not quite sure what would be suitable for the basic shape of turbofan dorsally mounted on top of a single float body with tip floats, although the distinctive wing seems to be a good basic design that could use some tweaking change taper? Span? Airfoil shape? Adjust dihedral angles? Or go with a different wing? Ideally.. I'd like a small flying boat of single seat/maybe twin seat, with the ability to be faster than the heavily modded F8F Bearcat Rare Bear racer... maybe as fast as the Gulfstream biz jets? But amphibious/seaplane/flying boat shaped and small. The Russians did the biggest, fastest currently flying boats in the A-40 and A-200 twinjets.

Looks like Flaris designs has you covered! THIS might just be the ticket for you!
1620199311187.png
Now, engineer a pair of retractable anphib floats that can tuck up against the fuselage and that should really improve cruise speed and range!

Looks like Flaris designs has you covered! THIS might just be the ticket for you!
View attachment 877239
Now, engineer a pair of retractable anphib floats that can tuck up against the fuselage and that should really improve cruise speed and range!
Problem with retractable floats; it rob space from the fuselage, and adds weight. Not sure where the fuel can go. Because of the weight and likely added drag of retractable floats; it would make the craft slower and shorter range.
I really like how the Russians did the A-40 and A-200 hulls in that they don't look like your typical flying boat hulls but are more aerodynamic while still able to be on water. Graft the lower half of the Lake Buccaneer hull to the Flaris, and swap the wings out for something that can let it go say, 600mph?

I've been toying with a silly idea in my head and sketching it out.. but... I want opinions lol.

Okay so Heinkel 162 Salamander/Volksjager.. its got a single jet engine dorsally mounted, pretty sleek lines, just about 30 feet long; relatively lightweight...

Idea. Instead of it being only a land based aircraft...

Why not a light amphibian?
The fuselage could be shaped like one of those rather big floats used on the twin engined bush planes.. engine could be a turbofan taken from something like the Very Light Jet category small business jets, maybe a Garrett, maybe a PW series?
Make it a two seater? Or keep it single seat, and make it a Very Light Jet/LSA? View attachment 875282

How bad of an idea is this? Lol

Probably best to build a scale model of it, or a CGI model but I aint got materials or computer software for it. @Ura-Ki , thoughts?

180mph in ground effect may sound fast, impressive for an electric vehicle but.. the Russian Ekranoplans (Caspian Sea Monster) went 400mph at 20 meters above sea

OMG, OMG, OMG, yet another sketch of a "revolutionary" vehicle that will completely transform the way we...(pick your flavor of the month) ...

Let me just add that to the pin board next to the SST, the circular runways, the Lilium Jet, the Fying V airliner....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top