JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What would be best for 50 cal ammo cans and bug out bags.
I used a few about 2-3.
I shoot steel cased ammo a lot so it helps to keep the moisture down.

Had a 50 cal can with 7.62x39 and 2 dessicant packets stored for three years. They looked as fresh as the day I packed them.

As for your bug out bag, I also tried that.. And with a few types of dessicant packets..
They've all torn in my pack and made a huge mess. Over time your gear rubs against them. Be it plastic, paper or cloth type dessicant packs, they all tore. I bet there are options or ideas to better preserve the packs so they dont get torn up, perhaps duct tape or a plastic case/cage.

I threw in 1 packet per compartment after finding surface rust on a few tools inside of my BOB.

I used a few about 2-3.
I shoot steel cased ammo a lot so it helps to keep the moisture down.

Had a 50 cal can with 7.62x39 and 2 dessicant packets stored for three years. They looked as fresh as the day I packed them.

As for your bug out bag, I also tried that.. And with a few types of dessicant packets..
They've all torn in my pack and made a huge mess. Over time your gear rubs against them. Be it plastic, paper or cloth type dessicant packs, they all tore. I bet there are options or ideas to better preserve the packs so they dont get torn up, perhaps duct tape or a plastic case/cage.

I threw in 1 packet per compartment after finding surface rust on a few tools inside of my BOB.

Thanks.

I recall reading somewhere you can buy silica gel in 5 lb packs at Michael's or similar in their floral stuff - guess they use it for drying flowers. Not sure if its a deal but you could make your own dessicant packs to suit your needs that way.

Definitely! Moisture is hell on ammo and any gear, guns, knives!

Get a small plastic tupperware container.
Yes they sell small ones.

Punch a couple holes in the bowl and lid.

Add your packs. Tape around the bowl and lid and put holes so that your other holes are not plugged with the tape.

I keep them in the BOB and the gear bags, ammo cans, and armorer boxes.

Loose in ammo cans wasnt ever an issue for me! And always a much needed rule of thumb for people in wetter regions.

Never had one rupture in my gear as I always do the TW trick.

However change it and store your BOB in a dry place if not in a bin to limit moist air. I had a box get missed and a Kershaw military knife of mine in perfect shape got rusted!

I recall reading somewhere you can buy silica gel in 5 lb packs at Michael's or similar in their floral stuff - guess they use it for drying flowers. Not sure if its a deal but you could make your own dessicant packs to suit your needs that way.

Thanks Swedish K! good to know i am going to go looking tomorrow.

Drizair is what we use. Or did use. Have had some issues with it so we are trying a electronic dehumidifier... Some kind of salt that absorbes water and "catches" it below in a bowl.

I think the salt water mix dripped on my AR10 and rusted the boogers out of my bolt catch.

I read on a post that a type of cat litter has silica gel. He said put some in an old sock and it works great in your safe.
So far I haven't found cat litter made of silica gel so I'll try Michael's. Thanx!

Easiest, cheapest desiccant I have found:

Go to any construction site or most large building supply stores and ask for some gypsum sheetrock (wallboard) scraps. They will almost certainly have some scraps you can have for free. Wallboard normally gets cut up during installation and sheets are constantly being broken at storage/sale points. American made wallboard is preferable to foreign (i.e. Chinese) made for this project.

Take the wallboard and peel the paper off one side. Cut the wallboard into pieces about the size of a standard playing card.

Bake the pieces in your oven at its lowest setting, usually about 160 deg F for a couple of hours to drive out any moisture.

Put a piece in each ammo can, with the paper side next to any contents. Gypsum is very hygroscopic (i.e. absorbs moisture). It will keep the air dry inside of any sealed container. A piece the size of a playing card will keep a .50cal ammo can dry for a long time. Larger containers will require larger, or multiple smaller, pieces.

Store unused pieces in an airtight container and you'll always have a dry piece to take out and use when you need one. If you're smart, you'll cut your pieces of a size that will fit into a wide-mouth quart or larger canning jar for the purpose.

If you want to be extra careful, such as in your gunsafe with your precious artillery, put the wallboard piece(s) in a moisture-proof container (tupperware or a glass jar) with the lid off. Swap out and/or rebake pieces as necessary.

Effective, simple and cheap. The trifecta. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads