JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw a 28.9 pound chinook landed on the beach at Taft (Siletz) on the Friday of Labor Day weekend. Heard of others landed also, but only saw the one.
Caught 7 legal Dungeness crab from the beach.
I love that area!

Yep there are some big fish in that river when they come in unfortunately my friend that I fish with was fighting the fire and did not have time to go home and get his boat and trailer so I went to his house lol we also heard the fish where not there at this time so we were probley better off bass fishing on the lake

Those bass look taste.
I would rather eat a nice fried bass then a salmon any day.
Fishing has been really good for me and the wife freezer is full but we are going to head out tomorrow on the Columbia and troll the incoming tide.

Those bass look taste.
I would rather eat a nice fried bass then a salmon any day.
Fishing has been really good for me and the wife freezer is full but we are going to head out tomorrow on the Columbia and troll the incoming tide.
Lol this was the first time I ever bass fishing the guys on TV make it look easy but it's a fenness thing my first day I didn't catch anything but buy the last day I got the feel and was setting the hook on them it's fun

I used to fish the Nestucca and Siletz rivers back in the 60's-early 70's with my dad and his friends almost every weekend from August to November. I saw a lot of big fish taken from both rivers although after '63 we just fished the Siletz. I never caught one but there were quite a few fish taken from my dad's boat. It used to just infuriate me when they were jumping and rolling all around the boat. There was the old mill hole below the old Kernville bridge because there was an old large sawmill built on pilings over the salt marsh, the boatworks hole which there was a boatworks on the bank and Chinook Bend hole. The boatworks used to build sailing lumber schooners that went over the bar in the 1900's-1940's. The last large boat they built in the 60's took 2 tries to get it over the badly silted bar. I remember one time my dad going over the bar in his boat and the outboard motor hit the bar in the low part of the wave trough. Devils lake used to have good run of steelhead and searun cutthroats in those days. One day I caught 5 of them from 15-22 inches from the bank between 101 and the state park. Last time I was there almost 20 years ago it was all silted in. And yes people used to catch crabs on a pole but crabpots worked better. Before Salishan I camped out a few times on the Siletz sand spit with friends using my 12 ft boat with a 5hp motor when I was 14 and 15 years old. Caught and cooked lots of crab over driftwood fires, unfortunately kids today can no longer have these experiences but to me it was great fun.

Fishing was never EVER the same for me after the day I pulled this motherbubblegummer up.... :eek:

View attachment 385237

OK, not really. :D
We used to catch Whites before the ban off the seal rookery on San Miguel island. We used one of my 60 foot salvage boats with a 5 ton crane. My divers would glue together old wetsuit material to look like an injured baby seal, fill it with blood and liver. We would troll them around off the rookery.When we hooked one, would lift it with the crane and swing it into the boat. They were very good eating and my commercial divers hated them. We would often see them hit a seal swimming on the surface, they would just cut them in half the first run and come back for the rest on the second. Used our hydraulic chain saw to cut them up, the guys would clean the jaws and sell them to the antique shop on the pier.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top