JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I previously related here, I was on a flight from PDX-DFW a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised to sit next to another shooter/gun owner. We talked guns for an hour until the subject of magazine bans and "AWB" came up.. then he got real defensive and said he supports "ANYTHING TO MAKE THE KIDS SAFE!". And he looked at me with real crazy eyes like that meme of the libtard chick that pops up here once in a while.

The compromises you have to make to get laid in Portland I guess.

So yeah, lots of Portland gun owners probably voted for 114.

After attending a ton of gun shows specifically to promote the fight against 114, I was rather surprised how many said they already have all the guns they needed so it wasn't going to affect them. Age wasn't necessarily a factor either. There were a number of 20 and 30 somethings that didn't want to discuss anything, and walked away from the table like I was trying to sell them something. Got a couple of "ya, we're good" responses, and those were not limited to the Portland area.

I've been surprised by the number of people helping to spread the word about 114 but also by the number that don't seem to care Not sure how to get it done, but we must change something or we will be losing our rights.

@PiratePast40 Just a question, not an anyway a criticism...
Did you have anyone at your table in the 20-30 year age bracket to discuss the Measure with gun show attendees?

Thank you effort.

After attending a ton of gun shows specifically to promote the fight against 114, I was rather surprised how many said they already have all the guns they needed so it wasn't going to affect them. Age wasn't necessarily a factor either. There were a number of 20 and 30 somethings that didn't want to discuss anything, and walked away from the table like I was trying to sell them something. Got a couple of "ya, we're good" responses, and those were not limited to the Portland area.

I've been surprised by the number of people helping to spread the word about 114 but also by the number that don't seem to care Not sure how to get it done, but we must change something or we will be losing our rights.
Fvcking selfish morons.

There were a number of 20 and 30 somethings that didn't want to discuss anything, and walked away from the table like I was trying to sell them something.
Eye contact will scare away people of that age group (lol). I think I saw on NOVA, that persons in that age group cannot make eye contact or speak face to face -- that texting or another digital medium is the best approach in order to not make them skittish.

The measure synopsis was a huge lie, and many voters only read the spark notes.
Exactly..IMO it's the #1 reason the damn thing passed. And NO ONE is talking about it..except here. Of all the court cases brought forward, it hasn't been mentioned yet. There needs to be a hammer brought down on that somewhere.

Gunowners are not united and many of them agreeing with the anti gunners that wants stricter gun laws. I think that's why we are losing this battle nationwide.
The problem is that gun owners are much less than 50% of the population - more like about 30%

The fact that the vote was so close is encouraging - either more gun owners got out and voted against it, and/or less voters who are not gun owners voted for it.

That said, it is not surprising to me that some gun owners would vote for it - most people, including gun owners, are misinformed and have poor skills at thinking thru an issue.

I wouldn't tell you either because it's none of your f&*39!ng business how I vote on anything.

I'd distance myself if this was what you were most concerned with in our friendship.
And how would asking you about it be what he's most concerned about in your friendship? A little touchy are we.

The problem is that gun owners are much less than 50% of the population - more like about 30%

The fact that the vote was so close is encouraging - either more gun owners got out and voted against it, and/or less voters who are not gun owners voted for it.
And we shouldn't forget that not every eligible voter voted, so we're not talking about 50.7% of the entire Oregon voting population who voted yes on 114 ("will of the people" isn't quite accurate as some of thee legislators state)

I think many new and old gun owners voted for measure 114 or didn't vote. It's because they already have their guns. Many are silent and don't want to get chewed out by pro-gunners. Example, one friend, a new gunowner told me that he voted for it because it will make the streets safer. And it's too easy to buy a gun.

Another example, an old timer gunowner I know voted for it because he doesn't own any guns that holds more than 10 rounds mostly revolvers, 1911s, and hunting rifles. And that he has all the guns he needed and mentioned that there is too many guns on the streets and crime is out of control. Even in this forum, there is some are silent about their anti gun position but they continue to own guns. It's just like being a silent Trump voter, you don't want to get criticized for voting for him.

Both friends were reluctant to tell me how they voted. But they give their opinions without me criticizing them.

Gunowners are not united and many of them agreeing with the anti gunners that wants stricter gun laws. I think that's why we are losing this battle nationwide.
This is the simple truth that a LOT of freedom loving people who own guns just plug their ears too. They do not want to hear it so they keep telling themselves its not true. :(

Every NWFA thread ends in the same circular argument.

I'll give up my guns when everyone else does.
Sadly there will be no "taking" guns at least in my lifetime. They will pass laws, most will just comply. The few holdouts will hold out. No one is coming to their door. Now and then one will get caught for some other reason and made an example of and even more will comply. Places like the UK did this and we are just following their example. Just move slow and it works great. :(
The one BIG mistake the side who wants to hurry this up keeps making is the support of criminals. Its the one thing that keeps this going. So many who support no guns keep finding themselves victims of crime the people they vote for support. It is the one thing that keeps hope alive.

I think if people aren't smart enough to see that three decades of gun control hasn't worked with 20,000 gun laws on the books nationwide And gun crime getting dramatically worse if you think a few more laws is gonna fix it you're just a dumb person, There's really nothing wrong with that there's a lot of you just try and do better
Pretty sure the first real gun control law passed in this nation was in 1934. That is a LOT more than 3 decades.

Other then @Mikej, Portland gun owners have been reformed. Mike is just too old and crotchety to be impacted negatively like OPs friends.

Why are you bringing ME into this? Heck, I finally get away from the computer before 11:30 and I get talked about! But I am pretty crochety. :oops:

That said, it is not surprising to me that some gun owners would vote for it - most people, including gun owners, are misinformed and have poor skills at thinking thru an issue.
It's because people a terribly selfish in these times. Here's the thing, I like to think I'd vote the way I did because it was the right thing to do for our basic freedoms. When you get down to it, I voted the way I did for selfish reasons. I like to believe that were I not a gun owner I would of had the common sense to stand up for the right to bear because it was the right thing to do. Our society in these times has people thinking mostly of themselves. Just go where any large number of people are. The roads, grocery stores, festivals, etc. People don't look out for others the way they used to. They look out for only themselves. And they teach that to their offspring. I feel I have all the guns I need. What really saddens me is I felt that way after my first FIVE guns too. It's really sad that next time I see something I want, I can't just get it. I would have to pay for the right. and jump through a bunch a damned hoops like a captive circus animal.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top