JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, this is my first post so play nice. I found my way here via Google while searching for information on handgun silencers. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If I'm reading things correctly, NWFA is based somewhere in WA. Long story short, I'm moving to the greater Seattle area soon and as a present to myself I'm planning to purchase a new handgun and my very first silencer. I've heard some talk about class 3 dealers, but nothing that I have read has been very specific and I want to know as much as I can before doing business with anyone. I'm interested in everything from how to choose the right silencer, to choosing the right dealer, and finding a legal method of purchase/delivery. If anyone could fill me in or point me in the right direction for self-education I'd be quite grateful. Thanks for your time!

P.S. I assume most ranges will allow you to shoot with a silencer. If I'm wrong, please fill me in.

The 'NFA Weapons' forum deals specifically with items covered under the National Firearms Act, including suppressors (the correct name for a 'silencer'). What, how and where you can or cannot buy depends upon what state you are in. A number of states ban the possession of suppressors. Others have varying requirements. In any state that allows suppressors, you will have to comply with federal law, which requires you to undergo a background check and pay a $200 tax stamp fee in order to make the purchase. If you are allowed to purchase a suppressor in your state, expect to have to wait a couple months or more for the feds to complete the paperwork. You will not be allowed to take home your suppressor until that process is completed.

In any state that allows suppressors, you will have to comply with federal law, which requires you to undergo a background check and pay a $200 tax stamp fee in order to make the purchase.

Ok, good start. Where/how do I begin that process? As I said, I will be in WASHINGTON when I make my purchase. Am I on the right track looking for a class 3 dealer?

Ok, good start. Where/how do I begin that process? As I said, I will be in WASHINGTON when I make my purchase. Am I on the right track looking for a class 3 dealer?

Most larger gun stores in the Seattle area now sell suppressors. West Coast Armory is a good choice if you are in the Seattle area.

You turn up to the store, select and pay for the silencer - then submit the ATF paperwork for approval before you can actually take possession of it. ATF processing time for suppressors is currently around six months. :(

Most larger gun stores in the Seattle area now sell suppressors. You turn up to the store, select and pay for the silencer.

Ok, I didn't think they would have them at the ready like that. Thought it would have to be a custom job. Will I have to modify my handgun's muzzle/barrel to fit?

In Washington state you do not need a background check, the sheriff's approval, or fingerprints. The below website presents an alternative method.

Why A Gun Trust? | NW Gun Law Group

The 'NFA Weapons' forum deals specifically with items covered under the National Firearms Act, including suppressors (the correct name for a 'silencer'). What, how and where you can or cannot buy depends upon what state you are in. A number of states ban the possession of suppressors. Others have varying requirements. In any state that allows suppressors, you will have to comply with federal law, which requires you to undergo a background check and pay a $200 tax stamp fee in order to make the purchase. If you are allowed to purchase a suppressor in your state, expect to have to wait a couple months or more for the feds to complete the paperwork. You will not be allowed to take home your suppressor until that process is completed.

I am in the process of obtaining a suppressor for my 308. I spent a lot of time on google searching for reviews and comments. Youtube also has a lot of videos with audio that will be able to give you an idea regarding sound suppression. In the end it kind of seemed like a crap shoot.

The technical issue I would encourage you to keep in mind is that their are two components that make sound: the bullet exceeding the speed of sounds and the gasses leaving the barrel. Also keep in mind that a suppressor does not just change the amplitude of the sound (decibels) it also changes the tone of the sound. It is difficult to determine what suppressor is best because there is no quantifiable way to express the tone. for example: one suppressor may sound like a loud waterfall and another sounds like aloud jet engine. They can but have the same amplitude (decibel) but they are very different.

I choose an elite iron suppressor. I cant tell you whether it was a good choice yet because It has not arrived.

In selecting a class 3 dealer I choose one that supported this board. It will be a bit of a drive for me to go down and pick it up but that is a small price for me to pay for supporting this board and doing business with someone i have confidence in. the dealer I am using is Crossroad Arms. So far I have been very happy with Joe's adaptability.

Regarding the selection of the pistol just about any one can be threaded. Their are plenty of discussions on here over which piece is the best. I will not rehash the topic. I will say that if I were to want a suppressed pistol it would be a 45 cal. supersonic ammo with a suppressor defeats the purpose of a suppressor, IMHO. A 45 is a big slow caliber and many rounds are subsonic. you can attach a suppressor and not loose stopping power.

Ok, I didn't think they would have them at the ready like that. Thought it would have to be a custom job. Will I have to modify my handgun's muzzle/barrel to fit?

What gun are you looking to buy/suppress? Whatever you get, it will have to have a treaded barrel. Some guns can be bought that way, others need to have the barrel replaced or threaded by a gunsmith.

There are more than a couple of suppressor manufacturers. I'm wanting a 22 suppressor for my Browning Buckmark, Smith & Wesson M&P22, and maybe 1 of my 10/22s. I'm leaning towards Silencerco's Sparrow.

What gun are you looking to buy/suppress? Whatever you get, it will have to have a treaded barrel. Some guns can be bought that way, others need to have the barrel replaced or threaded by a gunsmith.

I intend to purchase a <broken link removed> (although I admit to having done little research on the effectiveness of suppression for this particular pistol).

I would like to thank all of you who have posted. I am reading the material bit by bit when I get free time and I am following through with all of your suggestions. Keep it coming!

SilencerTalk &bull; Index page

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Osprey

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Beretta_92.jpg

Beretta_92.jpg

For the threading, you just send your barrel to Tornado or someone of your choice. There will be Silencerco and AAC dealers in the Seattle area also.

I've done business with all three, but the first two take months thanks to all the wait on the dealer to get the item, meeting/getting the forms together to submit to the ATF, then waiting on the ATF, then once again hoping the dealer will call promptly when the form 4 comes back to them. A process you will need to have patience with if you really want a suppressor.

the first two take months thanks to all the wait on the dealer to get the item, meeting/getting the forms together to submit to the ATF, then waiting on the ATF, then once again hoping the dealer will call promptly when the form 4 comes back to them. A process you will need to have patience with if you really want a suppressor.

Yeah, so what's with this Gun Trust thing that people are suggesting in order to avoid ATF paperwork? It doesn't sound like you bought into it.

And by "the first two" you mean Silencerco and AAC, right?

One thing I would add to a suppressor buy is go to a dealer who will let you test fire the one(s) you are looking at. Think of the can as an investment and buy the best you can so you arent disappointed later. Also keep in mind, many times a larger caliber can will work for smaller calibers too so you may want to buy a 45 can and use it on 9MM and 40S&W or a 30 cal can for .223. Just some thoughts I wish I had known before I bought my first can :)

One thing I would add to a suppressor buy is go to a dealer who will let you test fire the one(s) you are looking at.

Yeah, in my experience it can be tough to talk dealers into allowing the product to be test fired, but I guess if they won't do it I'll just take my business elsewhere. Thanks for the reinforcement!

There are more than a couple of suppressor manufacturers. I'm wanting a 22 suppressor for my Browning Buckmark, Smith & Wesson M&P22, and maybe 1 of my 10/22s. I'm leaning towards Silencerco's Sparrow.
For my Buckmark, I got a Tactical Solutions 4" Trail Lite threaded barrel. I am extremely happy with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top