Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Silencer (suppressor) ready? 22/45 from Ruger

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by orygun, Jan 20, 2011.

1. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The grip panels were part of the frame, Orygun. Not sure what year they made the change. I fondled an older 22/45 in a gun store last week, and thought it felt sort of like a 1911 (a lot more than the Mark I/II/III), but really thin. Probably the way I'd go for my next 22 plinker since I prefer the grip angle on a 1911, more perpendicular to the frame. Just what I'm used to.

The seller didn't have a newer 22/45 RP to show me, but said they now have replaceable panels (hence the added RP). Something needs to be shaved or ground to make them fit, but it's supposedly easy. A pair of those cheap rubber Hogues would make it feel more like my combat 1911.

Apparently the grip on the RP model is wider, too. Still not quite as thick as a standard 1911, but getting closer. So that's what I thought I wanted to buy next... until my buddy got back from the SHOT show yesterday and told me the latest RP has replaceable panels AND a threaded barrel. Must have.

Probably won't run right out and add all the extra license, cost, and weight of a suppressor (not to mention suitable sub-sonic ammo that feeds properly). But I'll know that I can without having to mod the barrel.

Come to think of it, maybe I should just acquire the whole package sooner than later, while it's still legal.

3. nubus

nubus Guest

Just bought a standard 22/45 last week... Noooooo!!! You Bas*ards!!

4. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I ordered a couple at the shot show. They should be at the store today so i can see them. If you want to check them out give me a call later and i can let you know for sure if they came in.

5. waldoz

waldoz Battle Ground Member

How long do you think this will take to hits the stores? That was the reason I did not buy one yet.

6. pslyke

pslyke Portland Active Member

I liked the one with the accessory rail on bottom...but it doesn't have open sights. the one with open sights doesn't have the rail and the sights are fixed...I think they just missed the mark for me.

7. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I love my 22/45, but I wish I had waited for the RP model.
    Regardless, i'll be modifying mine to accept 1911 grips soon.

8. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

A few corrections.

1) The 22/45 RP can take modified 1911 grips, both thin and thick. The ones it comes with are "thin". The modification is to relieve the area around the bolt catch.

2) The new 22/45 RP with threaded barrel only has a 4.5" barrel. Any standard or "high velocity" ammo will still be subsonic. You don't need to run subsonic ammo (which is designed to be subsonic in a rifle).

3) A quality .22 suppressor is 4-5oz. in weight.

9. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

There web site says they will be shipping starting Feb.1

10. waldoz

waldoz Battle Ground Member

It will be nice to check one out for sure and find out what the street price is.

11. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

It's nice they are doing the 4.5" barrel, I think the Buckmark really missed the mark with the 5.5" barrel.