JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm seeing a lot of bad information here. If you have questions or doubts talk to a lawyer or go to the BATF web sight and start reading. It's not always easy to find the answer but keep looking and when in doubt verify your info. This is something to take seriously and not rely on info from someone on a forum.

And what bad information would that be? Some of us have owned the gamut of NFA items for decades , have held class 3 and 02/07 FFL's and know the ins and outs pretty well.

I believe, (could be wrong also) that the SOT dealers must provide specific security? Us end owners of cans? I do not believe that is regulated, but do not hold it to me. I for one would be very surprised to find out there are specific BATFE written letter rulings demanding security arrangements for us end user can owners. I know of none. Just me.

Respectfully.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply

Local zoning regulations are what make up the bulk of what an SOT has to comply with for storage until you get into the explosive Destructive Device realm. There is no black letter regulation from the ATF for site security and nothing for the end user until again you get into the topic of explosive DD's. Your local zoning commission can demand specific site security ( for an SOT ) to comply with local regs in order to issue a business license but end users are beyond , far beyond , the scope of their authority in Washington and Oregon. State laws and regs in other states may allow zoning authority bodies to require additional storage requirements like safes etc.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download

Last Edited:
Yep. The local city, county and state regulations can be draconian. Also when I had my Class 3 License in OR years ago there were local home occupancy business license rules. I do not know about any changes with current stuff.

Right now I am thinking does the BATFE have any new written ruling letters regarding security arrangements with can owners? I know of none but I could be wrong also. Some help here please. Right now MY NFA stuff is locked up.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This is the usual legal declaration that means that the fun NFA stuff is legal to own and use in SW OR USA. Your gun laws may vary, particularly specific City, County and State laws.

Last Edited:
I personally have decided not to give to much advice on any of the subjects concerning NFA items. Over time I have learned I was wrong at times. I do not want to give bad information, if people feel comfortable with giving and reciveing info that up to them. It can be difficult to find answers to direct questions from the ATF and if you were to call them you will get different answers from different agents. So good luck with that. here are a few links I just pulled up. in the past I have banged my head against the wall trying to figure things out. I paid good money for my trust through a lawyer and he has been helpful. The ATF does not write the laws they just interpret them. This is similar to the bump stock issues that came up lately.

National Firearms Act Handbook | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Publications Library | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title27-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title27-vol3-sec478-23.pdf

As for the original question all I can say is cover your bubblegum! Get a safe and put your wife on the trust. To me problem solved this is what i did to avoid confusion. The ATF can not just come into your home with out a warrant or very high probable cause to a investigation. They can go into a FLL one time a year and do a inspections. But lets say you purchased a fully automatic trigger online and were found out you better be sure they will be at your door, this does not mean they will just come in without warrent but if anybody including children open the door and accidentally let them in your going to be searched.
I currently can not find info on storage in the home but getting a safe will just fix any doubt simple as that.

Respectfully ...

If folks here are providing bad information and I am one doing such please feel free to pitch in here and enter the conservation. I for one could always use some updates and corrections. Just saying. No dog.

Respectfully ...

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

I apologies and will retract some of what I said. First I miss read some of the info. But I stand by the issue of finding the info yourself when you do find it print it keep it or verify in my many dealing with subjects like this I have see all kinds of info that is incorrect and better be safe than in jail. I apologize my stamens did not completely come accost correctly. All of this can be a difficult situation at time and left to interpretation by some, Again I would look to legal advice and look to you local laws as well.

Apology politely accept but hardly necessary and thank you. I screw up all the time. Now facing a snow storm with no tire chains because they ones I had for YEARS did not fit.

Yep, be safe. Right now all my NFA goodies are lockup up tight. Tonight would be an ideal time for some hot chocolate and a detail strip, cleaning and re greasing of the M2 Carbine.

All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. A very rare and very valuable Fleming Registered M2 Carbine Trigger Housing. No moving parts. Movable from gun to gun. Cool :)

Equal paragraph length continues to be FUTILE! :)

Id be a silencer building fool in Idaho. Damn the feds.
I think there are certain requirements such as, all components must be made by the owner or some such.

Does this mean the raw materials must be forged, cast or ???? Maybe the iron ore must come from Idaho soil?

No idea. Just something a bird told me once. Could be entirely inaccurate.

Agreed, damn the fed:)

I think there are certain requirements such as, all components must be made by the owner or some such.

Does this mean the raw materials must be forged, cast or ???? Maybe the iron ore must come from Idaho soil?

No idea. Just something a bird told me once. Could be entirely inaccurate.

Agreed, damn the fed:)

I know some people like to follow every law on every book everywhere but I have a pretty good feeling that if I went to my local sheriff who in essence told me that I was was free to follow the State of Idaho's laws and he wouldnt bother himself to enforce the Federal version of said law's I'd be on it like a hobo on a hotdog. Mining ore, smelting, casting, rolling tube whatever. I wouldnt sell anything and since its been a very , very long time since Ive seen a Federal Law Enforcement officer rummaging through my stuff I wouldnt lose any sleep over it either. We do it over here with weed and you guys are fine with silencers so yeah. Damn the Feds.

And this sort of banter , ladies and gentlemen, is how I got banned for life on The High Road . :)

I just bought my first silencer and started looking into the laws and regulations regarding NFA items. Can someone point me to an actual law/regulation/ruling that describes storage requirements for silencers?

My question stems from the fact that from the opinions that I have read are split on whether my wife can have access to them while I am not around. Do I need a separate storage option that she doesn't have access to?

And on a secondary note, do you have any suggestions for keeping one at the ready for home defense on an AR? I was looking at getting an AR vault (something like this: AR 1000 | GunVault), but that leaves the suppressor exposed and unprotected. A safe in the bedroom closet is not an option right now. I was thinking about just doing the AR vault, and then slide the suppressor and barrel up into a bracket that completely covers it and is bolted to the wall, so you would have to open the vault and slide it down to clear the silencer.

Any references and ideas?
I'm unaware of ANY laws concerning safe storage of a suppressor. It isn't a firearm, after all.
I think people obsess way too much over this stuff.

Technically The BATF does list suppressors as a firearm. But they too can vary in what laws apply and who you ask at the ATF. I had previous experience with this issue.

Something that my help others is scan your tax stamps into your cell phone. You can even get apps to change it into a pdf file if you don't have a scanner. I keep a copy of them in my iBooks in my iPhone so I never forget to have a copy with me.

There are currently no safe storage requirements for suppressors under Oregon or Federal law.

It's generally agreed upon in legal circles that to avoid unauthorized transfers, registrants must store NFA firearms so that no one else has access to them. That being said, I've never heard of prosecution where a spouse was prosecuted due to having access to the others NFA items.
In a court of law I suspect that it would be very difficult to prove an unlawful transfer had taken place.

As a side note, I just wanted to clarify some of the comments made about proof of registration in the NFRTR. In Oregon you definitely want to keep you Federal registration (tax stamp, Form 2, 3, 4, 5 etc) available, and present it to law enforcement, as it prevents your arrest for Unlawful Possession under OR 166.272. I've added the text of the Statute below for anyone who's interested.
The statute doesn't define "documentation", but in today's digital age and being that the ATF themselves issues .pdf copies of tax stamps, in my opinion, .pdf copies on your phone are more than adequate. If an officer wanted to argue the point, I'd just refer him or her to OR166.272(3).

166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer if the person knowingly possesses any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer.

(2) Unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is a Class B felony.

(3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person's immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.

(4) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer was registered as required under federal law.

I'm a trustee in a family gun trust and when I remove any of the full auto weapons or suppressors off the property, I have the head of the family gun trust (Trustor) sign a grant of use document that's dated for a specific time frame and I also take along a copy of the family gun trust proving that I'm a trustee.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top