JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would usually agree that a person will never be pulling a gun on anyone more than a couple yards from them (that is how I have always though and how I have always trained), but in this day and age I start seeing it as more likely that a person might need to take down someone with a weapon from a greater distance. Such as if someone bursts into a mall or other public place shooting. You might not be right next to them when stopping them becomes necessary...and seconds could mean dozens of lives.

Some people might have different opinions though.

Do you feel this is something a person at a greater distance should even try? Should they just seek cover until threated personally? Should they get involved and if so do you feel it creates a need to carry the most accurate gun you can carry? Does it mean you need a more powerful gun? Does it change how you train?

I used to RO at alot of matches at the gun club. IPSC, IDPA and full auto Subgun matches. The real fun is watching how people handle stress when you make the match difficult. While match stress isn't anything like being in the real terror of a gunfight it still showed the hit potential of a stressed individual goes way down.

I guess if a man can keep his head knowing that he will give away his position when he shoots and the killer will then focus on him that he should take the shot. If your scared though you better not miss cause the followup shots will be panic driven.

just my opinion again

I used to RO at alot of matches at the gun club. IPSC, IDPA and full auto Subgun matches. The real fun is watching how people handle stress when you make the match difficult. While match stress isn't anything like being in the real terror of a gunfight it still showed the hit potential of a stressed individual goes way down.

I guess if a man can keep his head knowing that he will give away his position when he shoots and the killer will then focus on him that he should take the shot. If your scared though you better not miss cause the followup shots will be panic driven.

just my opinion again

Problem?

Solution!

On sale today at Centerfire Systems

BAZOOKA-SH-D.jpg

Stress brings on shortness of breath and the loss of fine motor skills. We set up a subgun match that had alot of targets spaced out across the range. It had no-shoots so you had to aim or get penalized. At the end of the challenge we put an egg hanging by a string at about 20 feet. People were so full of adrenalin that alot of them couldn't easily hit the egg. Some used two mags.

Taking on a target at some distance with a handgun when you know you might get your self killed is more than I would want to try. Maybe with my rifle if they are not moveing around too much.

jj

If I can see the threat, they can see me and could present a serious threat. If I turn and run, there is the possibility that I could be shot in the back.

The real problem is (at a distance) determining what is going on in a small time period. For all you know the crazy shooter you can see is an off duty cop shooting it out with a perp that you can't see.

I train from "interview distance" to 100+ feet. I like the longer distance stuff because it is good training for trigger control. The really close stuff is also important. Being able to draw, present, and fire while moving away from a threat isn't easy.

My biggest problem with shooting at a distance in a crowded would be a miss that would hit an innocent bystander. Even then if you hit them and get a thru and thru you still run the chance of hitting someone else.

Also, If I can't be sure and put one center mass, I don't want to give away my position as was said earlier here. All this is kind of moot though as I have never been in that situation. I try to tell myself I know how I would act and train for it, but when the lead starts flyin', particularly around you, everything you know or thought you knew can go out the window quick.

Such a question. So many scenarios possible.

The Medford Police Dept. trains most at ten feet based on their belief that most incidents happen within that range. Of course they have long guns in the cars to pull when answering a call if needed.

The Oregon Police Academy in Monmouth emphasizes ten feet because there are new dangers at close range such as getting physically jumped or stabbed faster than you can react.

BTW they also teach that someone with a knife is a deadly threat/justified to shoot if they are within 25 feet. They believe that a person can run at you at that distance as quickly as you can draw, aim and fire with a margin.

I think every "mall" scenario would be different and I'd have to respond accordingly. The BG might have a black rifle. I'd just have to do my best to assess it under that kind of pressure. I hope it never happens. :s0131:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top