JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey. New to the AR game. Coming up with lots of questions. Here is a pretty basic one I think.

I'm wondering about optics strategies you use and why.

My hunting rifles have scope that never comes off. I never use the iron sights (don't' even have them on most) and never remove the scope. If I did remove it, I'd have to sight it in again and I don't want to mess with a good thing...

So for my new AR10 that I plan to hunt with this fall, I plan to put a decent scope on it for 100-300 yard shops. I'd also like to have iron sights for backup and plinking during the non-hunting seasons. And probably play with a red dot or other types of optics.

So my question is - how to you avoid having to redo the sighting in on the scope if you remove it? I mean, it probably won't be off by much, but I would never hunt it without first testing it. Just curious if there is a trick to this or if you just have to sight it in - can't just be plug and play?

For running it as a hunting rifle, I plan to mount a scope that is pretty low profile. IF I decide on iron sights (fixed, flip, etc), I guess I could go side mount that I've seen, but may just leave them off. I want it clean (not too much extra furniture sticking out) to save on weight and things protruding that can snag up on things. In the off season, weight won't matter as much and furniture will be fun to play around with.

Later, I think I'll get an AR15 as well, and use it more for a lego configuration changing toy, and keep the AR10 in the safe more (cheaper ammo in the 223 to play with). I'd like to learn to build them as well.

Sorry for rambling. Just thinking out loud here...

You could get a set of offset irons and leave the scope on. Having a backup isn't a bad idea anyway.
1649174584562.png

So my question is - how to you avoid having to redo the sighting in on the scope if you remove it? I mean, it probably won't be off by much, but I would never hunt it without first testing it. Just curious if there is a trick to this or if you just have to sight it in - can't just be plug and play?
For me its been plug n play. The only trick is to assure you put it back in the same slot and push it forward befor tightening down. Mine has always gone back to zero.
I would still dbl check before a hunt though.

Just get a quality QD scope mount, some BUIS and call it a day.

I have a Midwest Industries 1.93" mount on mine.
IMG_20220321_170326.jpg

I pop it off when in the safe to make room.
Now that the scope is higher I put the BUIS back on.

There are scope mounts that have offset mounts for a small red dot also.
The Swampfox one I have has the RMR footprint that gives a few options.
Ariska has offset red dot mounts that look pretty slick.

Low Power Variable Optics will give you a bit of flexibility.
1x for up close and magnified for distance.
I had a 1-8 on mine, then tried a 6-24.
Sold that and went with a 4-16

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top