JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sighting in savage model 11 .308
Came with a cheap Nikon scope package. Anyways. Sighted in with cheap Remington ammo. Got it right at 100 yards. Switched to Remington with Barnes al cooper, and it shot left. Several inches.
Why?
Crappy scope?

That monolithic bullet in the Barnes stuff really changes point of impact a lot!
I had a gun that I was testing and the Barnes stuff impacted almost 10 inches off from where the other traditional jacketed bullets were impacting.

Probably nothing wrong with the scope, just the ammo/bullet design change is causing the difference.

Leave it alone, if you have to change something on that package gun, change out the crappy pot metal Chinese rings and bases.

That monolithic bullet in the Barnes stuff really changes point of impact a lot!
I had a gun that I was testing and the Barnes stuff impacted almost 10 inches off from where the other traditional jacketed bullets were impacting.

Probably nothing wrong with the scope, just the ammo/bullet design change is causing the difference.

Leave it alone, if you have to change something on that package gun, change out the crappy pot metal Chinese rings and bases.

Excellent post. I've worked on these rifles for a few buddies and always threw the rings away right off the bat. They are garbage. I'm not saying that is the problem, with this rifle, because switching ammo will have an affect on POI. But it's a real good suggestion to change out the rings before they go tits up on you (the OP) anyway....

Scope rings or ammo. most likely ammo like others have posted, but I can say that I have spent a good portion of time at a range with a good rifle and good ammo with the same thing happening just because the scope was mounted in a hurry.

It happens to the best of us.:rolleyes:

When you change from a very dense lead based bullet to an all copper [ less dense] to get the bullet weight the same would require the all copper bullet to be much longer. The longer bullet may not stabilize in your barrel. Lots of CA hunters are finding this out this year! [ with the lead ban covering the whole state.

This is also seen in AR's that want to shoot a heavy bullet but have the older 1in 12 or slower barrel twist.

So to find a all copper bullet that shoots the same as the remington, you would have to drop in weight till you found one the same length. Good Luck DR

Came with a cheap Nikon scope package. Anyways. Sighted in with cheap Remington ammo. Got it right at 100 yards. Switched to Remington with Barnes al cooper, and it shot left. Several inches.
Why?
Crappy scope?

your scope is fine. Different ammo has different point of impact thats normal. Pick the one that shoots the best and only use that.

What are you using the rifle for?

What Koda said. Shoot for groups and dont' worry about point of impact. Choose the cartridge that gives you the most consistent accuracy and then dial the scope in.

Thanks all. So talk to me. Like I've said before, I'm a browning snob. The higher end ones. But there's a lot better out there. So I usually pay around $1,200 for the rifle only. I'm lefty and it's hard to find them in most brands. This gun is righty for the kids to use. So question is, do these cheap savage guns shoot well at 600-800 yards? Considering dialing the ammo and a high end glass. Like to hear who has seen this first hand with this gun.
Thanks!

Savage Arms : Firearms : Model : 11/111 FCNS

So question is, do these cheap savage guns shoot well at 600-800 yards? Considering dialing the ammo and a high end glass. Like to hear who has seen this first hand with this gun.

$800 msrp isnt exactly cheap...

I don't own a Savage so cant tell you how it will do but I'm thinking if you want to go beyond 300yds with a stock hunting rifle you might want to make certain the action is bedded and consider handloading.

Why?
Crappy scope?
I believe that the muzzle moves in a circular motion which is caused by the bullet interacting with the lands and grooves.
Action - reaction thing.

The moment that the bullet leaves the muzzle, the orbital position of the muzzle at that time determines/influences POI.
So bullet speed, bullet weight and barrel length would factor in as well.
The above is from another thread and why you have a shift in POI with the different ammo.
Just sight in with the ammo that you will be hunting with.

Done and done.

Edit:
Usually the difference is not "several inches", so make sure that the scope is mounted correctly and everything is torqued properly.
The Nikon scope should be fine for that rig.

Last Edited:
That savage wasn't $800.00
It was like $550.00 with that cheap Nikon scope.
got it. sorry.
A friend of mine bought a savage 7mm to hunt with and asked me to help him sight in. He specifically didnt want to spend a lot of money and I think got a deal at BiMart for like $350 scope included. We zeroed it at 200yds and it shot well out to 300...

Among other culprits, there are some rifles, some what in specific calibers, the 30-06 being one, that just wont hit to the same point of aim when bullet or powder is changed. Some claim, barrel harmonics are to blame. Whatever the cause, when that happens, best to stick to what works best and adjust for that.

Savage rifles are known to have great accuracy out of the box. I have a save 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and have no complaints. Hit gongs at 550 on day one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top