JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
mounting scopes and sighting in my first 2 rifles here soon, done some research and i think i just the jist of it. any tips or tricks would be helpful. whats a good starting distance to zero in at?

25 yards is a starting distance to get on paper. But before that:
have the rings been lapped?
have your scopes been bore sighted?
what rest are you using?
where are you doing it?
Do u know any experinced shooter to help you? Sighting a rifle can be easy or a major pain.

25 yards to start because it's easier to see the hole and you won't need to run back and forth to the target.

1) Bench the rifle firmly
2) One shot at the bullseye
3) Re-position the rifle with cross hairs at previous point of aim
4) With rifle firmly set as described above in 3, carefully move your scope windage adjustment so the crosshair or dot aligns horizontally with the point of impact. Then do the same for elevation
5) Shoot again
6) Make any slight adjustment needed as described in 4
7) Your rifle should probably now be zeroed close to perfect after 3 to 4 shots if you do your job on the trigger

Depending on the caliber and bullet weight, your POI at 100 yards will probably be high at 100 yards. With a .223 the 25 yard zero is approx same as 300 yard zero.

Also, I have done a down and dirty zero in my garage with a .22 bolt gun by removing the bolt, benching the rifle, looking thru the bore, aligning the bore with some random point, then adjusting the scope so the bore and crosshairs/dot are aligned at the same point. This gets it pretty close before heading to the range.

Last Edited:
ARs and bolt guns I boresight them. Bench rest the rifle. Remove the bolt,
look down the barrel and center it on the target. Hold steady and look
through the scope. Adjust scope. Windage and elevation will be reversed!
I have used this method multiple times.
First shot on paper at 100 yards.:cool::cool::cool:

Also, I have done a down and dirty zero in my garage with a .22 bolt gun by removing the bolt, benching the rifle, looking thru the bore, aligning the bore with some random point, then adjusting the scope so the bore and crosshairs/dot are aligned at the same point. This gets it pretty close before heading to the range.
This can be done with the AR also,just break it in two. And a gunsmith showed me how to do it with a semi and a mirror;)
Nothing more to add but to say starting at 25 yards saves ammo. And sometimes,depending on how smooth your turetts are,you might need a second person to bring the crosshairs to POI as 308 is describing above. One to hold the gun steady while you turn nobs
Good luck
Oh and adjust the 22 to the distance you will use it at, no need to take it to 100 yards if you won't be shooting it that far.

Start with 25yds both rifles, then take them out to 50yd zero. With the AR, a 50yd zero is known as a combat sight in because the point of impact is the same at 200 yds.

If your shooting on public lands that means you wont have a bench to shoot from. Get yourself a rollup shooting mat and a Caldwells Led Sled shooting vise. You will want to take out as much human error to sight in before you can ever think about learning offhand shooting skills. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail and wasting ammo.

25 yards is a starting distance to get on paper. But before that:
have the rings been lapped?
have your scopes been bore sighted?
what rest are you using?
where are you doing it?
Do u know any experinced shooter to help you? Sighting a rifle can be easy or a major pain.

rings have been lapped, scopes have been laser bore sighted at about 22 or so yards, i was planning to head out to north fork wolf creek and bring a shooting mat and bag rests, i cant afford a led sled right now but i plan to get one in the furture. Unfortunatley i dont know anyone or have any friends who are experienced shooters which really just sucks in general.

25 yards to start because it's easier to see the hole and you won't need to run back and forth to the target.

1) Bench the rifle firmly
2) One shot at the bullseye
3) Re-position the rifle with cross hairs at previous point of aim
4) With rifle firmly set as described above in 3, carefully move your scope windage adjustment so the crosshair or dot aligns horizontally with the point of impact. Then do the same for elevation
5) Shoot again
6) Make any slight adjustment needed as described in 4
7) Your rifle should probably now be zeroed close to perfect after 3 to 4 shots if you do your job on the trigger

Depending on the caliber and bullet weight, your POI at 100 yards will probably be high at 100 yards. With a .223 the 25 yard zero is approx same as 300 yard zero.

great info here thanks exactly the kind of stuff i need to know

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads