JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have three handguns (2) 22s and (1) 40 that are in need of getting sighted properly. I'm learning and practicing and the range, but not yet skilled enough to do this myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to have this done?

Thanks,
Mike

If you have adjustable sights on your pistol, do it just like you would a rifle (read the manual to see how to adjust it). Shoot from the distance you want to zero the sights at, get 3-5 shot groups, and adjust accordingly. I would maybe support the pistol with some sandbags if you are having a really hard time shooting accurately off hand. If you are flinching, something I did that helped a lot was I had a friend put dummy rounds randomly in the magazines and when I was shooting I could see exactly what I was doing with the muzzle.
This target may also help:

If you have fixed sights, any gun shop with a smith on hand should have sight pushers and you can ask them to do it. Just go to the gun store nearest to you. The sights *should* be properly aligned from the factory but in the case they are not, pushing the rear sight to the right or left will adjust windage. To adjust for elevation you will need to swap sights with another set of a different heights.

If you have a link or as previously requested higher resolution picture that would be easier than copy/paste/magnify so I would also request the same.

An additional observation, it seems the target/chart was made for right handed shooters so some things would have to be flipped for left handed shooters.

Unfortunately I do not, I just google image searched for it. However, if someone here has some photoshop/gimp skills they could make a vector of it and make it as big as you want.

If you have adjustable sights on your pistol, do it just like you would a rifle (read the manual to see how to adjust it). Shoot from the distance you want to zero the sights at, get 3-5 shot groups, and adjust accordingly. I would maybe support the pistol with some sandbags if you are having a really hard time shooting accurately off hand. If you are flinching, something I did that helped a lot was I had a friend put dummy rounds randomly in the magazines and when I was shooting I could see exactly what I was doing with the muzzle.

If you have fixed sights, any gun shop with a smith on hand should have sight pushers and you can ask them to do it. Just go to the gun store nearest to you. The sights *should* be properly aligned from the factory but in the case they are not, pushing the rear sight to the right or left will adjust windage. To adjust for elevation you will need to swap sights with another set of a different heights.

Spengo,

Thanks for the advice, I will have to go out to the range soon and give it a try. The 40 is the only fixed sights and hasn't been touched from "factory", both 22's are adjustable, but were loose and not adjusted correctly.

What might be a good/fair distance to sight them in at? The 40 is for daily carry eventually. 22's are for target practicing.

Thanks Again,
Mike

Father in laws xd40 has less than 100 rounds down the tube and shoots low to the left.

At what round cound should I expect it broken in(

Father in laws xd40 has less than 100 rounds down the tube and shoots low to the left.

At what round cound should I expect it broken in(

Unless it is a pocket .380 auto pistol, 0 rounds. Regular sized handguns should not need to be broken in. Also breaking the pistol in should not affect the poi, only how reliably it feeds.

Also... no disrespect to your dad in law, but I bet he's flinching/jerking. :) Try the trick of putting dummy rounds randomly in his mags and carefully watch what his muzzle does when he's firing. It helps a lot, no joke. Best way to get rid of flinch there is.

I didn't believe him either till I shot it out of the box.

Mine held a 4" group. His 12"

I'll go shooting with it soon to verify and get some dummy rounds.

Thanks for the info about break in on these. I didn't expect one but always hope for the best.

When I first started shooting handguns, I was frustrated because I would get my gun sighted in and then the next time I went shooting, it would shoot to a different poi. Finally realized that It was because I would change types of ammo. You will find that your handgun will often shoot to very different points of impact with different loads. On fixed sight guns, part of the process can be finding a load that is not only accurate but also shoots to the sights. This is especially true in something like a fixed sight revolver. On an auto, you can ofter drift both front and/or back sights to at least adjust the windage. Here are a few key points I have put together when I am helping someone on one of my range officer days:

1. Only move your trigger finger when shooting. Do not squeeze your whole hand. Practice at home so that the sights don't move when the hammer falls.

2. Keep you eyes open right thru the shot. If you can't remember the sight picture when the gun goes off, you had closed your eyes by then and the gun probably moved.

3. Focus on the sights, not the target. Sight alignment is far more important than the target. If the sights are out of alignment, doesn't matter where the front sight is.

4. Hold the gun in a medium grip. If you have a death grip on it and your hands and arms are trembling because of it, ease up. Your hand will automatically tighten when it goes off and it won't fly out of your grip, but an overly tight grip will make you wobble more.

5. For best accuracy, be consistent with each shot. If you want to try a different grip or rest, do it for an entire group, not halfway thru a string. Hitting the same place on the target requires doing the same thing on the other end of the gun with each shot.

Good luck and check back with any questions.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top