JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased a RRA fixed rear sight directly from the manufacturer : https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1735

(I called to get actual shipping cost since they don't tell you up front what it will be :rolleyes: )

While I was on the phone I enquired into these: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1714

The salesperson referred me to one of the techs and he said rather abruptly that they would not work in their A2 sight??? Does this make sense?
He insisted that they would only work in the/a A2 carry handle with built in sights; you would think they would make their items compatible to possibly increase sales? Am I missing something here?
Another member was nice enough to refer me to an higher end replacement for the aperture to the exact sight that I purchased and that he said would work with the RRA fixed sight, so this part will work but not the manufacturers own upgrade??

These are both RRA parts:
1631206246606.png 1631206257292.png

Here is the link and a picture to the other upgrade that our forum member was nice enough to let me know about.

1631206302055.png

Any input would be helpful

Thanks
Rob

Screw RRA, get the Compass Lake rear guts-kit and a KNS front post. If it's A2 spec components the kit SHOULD work in any "A2 Spec" housing without regard to having a handle in front or not.

We're using a .052 Round on C.'s C8 because it's as close as we can get to the narrow post Diemaco uses, but they have an even skinnier one that might be even more "match." Is this a Match Toy or a Serious Work Tool?

Last Edited:
I already purchased the rock river arms rear sight and I've heard great things about it plus the availability of the LMT was almost nonexistent.
Thanks for the input it is much appreciated!

Another question, what's the size of the post in the standard mill spec fsb?
I am working with a BCM upper and they're pretty good about sticking to mill spec standards.

On the upgrade kit what would you suggest for:
Rear sight MOA 1/2 or 1/4
Rear sight aperture .030 to .052 (There are 10 total choices in this category)

Another question, what's the size of the post in the standard mill spec fsb?
I am working with a BCM upper and they're pretty good about sticking to mill spec standards.
Milspec is .074" square-section IIRC. BCM's good stuff, they built the top half of our C8 other than the aforementioned KNS FSP.

Good question re kits, I'm not sure--I'm relatively experience-weak and haven't even had a chance to get anything sighted in between Fudd Hell and bedridden parent. Your best bet would be poke over to M4Carbine.net and ask the gurus there.

In regards to the rear aperture size, I'm assuming based off general knowledge of what we've spoken of; the smaller the aperture size the more fine tuned the site will be for longer distances and a more accurate pinpointed shot? And if it's for a duty rifle then it's probably not that critical to go so small.

My own stab at an EOD version built around a CASV, on an 80% blank as a mockup:
20200612_1746471.jpg
Not pictured is that there's a Lasermax green-beam on that FSP rail below the minilight, tape for it behind the thumbrest.

In regards to the rear aperture size, I'm assuming based off general knowledge of what we've spoken of; the smaller the aperture size the more fine tuned the site will be for longer distances and a more accurate pinpointed shot? And if it's for a duty rifle then it's probably not that critical to go so small.
IIRC smaller apertures are for ranged work, smaller FSP's for both long range and greater precision.

Quite welcome--just remember, with a 10.3 to 10.5 you're looking at a maximum range of about 350-400yd with any useful terminal ballistics. Other than how big and heavy they are, this is where the 65moa ring reticle on an Eotech shines, it's a poor-man's rangefinder...
  • 50yd: with reticle ring top on top of man's head, bottom of ring should be roughly at or very close to crotch (65moa @ 50yd = ~33")
  • 100yd: with reticle bottom on man's feet, top of head should be roughly at or very close to top of ring (65moa @ 100yd = 5'5")
  • 200yd: with reticle " , top of head should be roughly at dot
  • 400yd: with reticle " , top of head should be halfway between bottom of ring and dot
EDIT: This isn't holdover, just how big a man-size target looks relative to the reticle at various distances.

Last Edited:
Well I'm cheating a little bit and going with the BCM 11.5 so that might give me a teeny bit more of an edge but yeah I realize it's not gonna be a mega long range rifle, as long as it's good for a working rifle and CQB I should be able to call it good.

I've heard some good and mostly bad things about the EOTechs, I had one of the initial ones that had all the problems but I put a retro kit on there and didn't have any problems after that, I eventually sold it and the guy who bought it is really happy with it.

OMG…. Just build the mofo with what ya got and SHOOT it already!

o_O

;):D
In more temperate language, our former-DI friend is right. Build it up, then put it in a rest to get a "baseline" on what it can do. Then shoot it, learn its ins-and-outs as built, train until it holds you back rather than you holding it back from full potential, figure out what part is the hold-back, replace and repeat.

I've carried guns as a part of my job for 17 years. Not being a SWAT guy means I get issued something and I use it as-is. It's never gotten in the way of being able to shoot it effectively. If you build it and shoot it, you'll be able to make it work regardless of an RCH worth of difference between apertures or posts.

I couldn't tell you how big my front sight post is, but I hit what I'm aiming at. My rear sight has a flippable aperture thingy with a big hole and a little hole. I just leave it on the big hole because if I really NEED them, it will be up close. If something is far enough to need a smaller aperture, I can get away and fix or replace my gun.

As an LE guy, I have no need for range finding reticles and all that. I just won't ever be involved in engaging anything far enough to need to holdover out to 250 yards with the 5.56 stuff we get issued (50 yard zero). To me, that's realistic for a civilian.

Just food for thought. Here are some pics of my 11.5 and the sights that are on it, which are Troy HK style with a comparison between big hole and little hole. The sight is an Aimpoint. My lack of knowledge on specs doesn't keep me from hitting whatever I want.

2A7CADD9-4D0E-4ABD-A185-7360FF9AD842.jpeg 57F5B746-AE77-4A87-A893-62EC14F17360.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top