JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off, I want to apologize to @Jasonanddeonna for making posts that are off topic from what you're looking for. My answer to your thread question is in Post 71 of this thread. If you have further questions, post here, PM or contact me direct through my website and we can discuss in more detail if you like.

My last post on this multiple threat thingy...

Strategies; I can't teach this on the keyboard...

Awareness - Know your geography, and how many and where humans are in the vicinity. That also applies to friends and family around you. If it's a known bad area, detour yourself.

Slow yourself down when changing environments, meaning; going from outside to inside, changing a position etc...this is when you will be most vulnerable.

Being able to assess a threat before the threat can assess you is key!

We can't stay in color Yellow and Orange (referring to Coopers awareness/force color continuum) for long periods, we wear out mentally...some aster than others.

Mindset - I hear this often, but have heard very few people defining it. What is mindset to you? Please don't use the dictionary, this has to be a personal thought process, not cookie cutter.
And what is this mindset that IDPA teaches of which you speak?

Thugs have the advantage over most people...their mindset. They have very little or no conscience, and carry out raw evil that a lot of people can't park in their brains why or how they could do such things...this right there will put most citizens in the "catch-up" mode from the outset.

A lot of people in AAR's talk about being caught off guard, yet they were trained in having a mindset. The situation was unreal, like it was being in a bad dream etc., you get the picture...we've all heard of these things. These are the things that will make people hesitate...we need to work that which will be the root cause of that.

Position - What is your position in relationship to ingress/egress, windows, people, obstacles...they all matter. Cut down the avenues of fire alleys by using angles, obstacles etc., and threats themselves as @titsonritz pointed out, to minimize those.

Drills - Implement those that replicate some or all of what you're want to accomplish. Here we are talking about multiple threats.

The El Presidente is a great drill, but keep it in perspective...we shouldn't be going toe to toe with three people without moving.

Mozambique, have never heard of it being used in a confrontation in either LE or citizen. Some people practice it, yet complain about head shots and that we shouldn't be doing them because they are so hard to hit. Can't have it both ways.

Zipper, was taught this back in the 80's, yet again...we are again describing the Loch Ness Monster...no one has ever seen it. Why waste valuable rounds purposely gut shooting someone, when the vitals are showing themselves as just as easy a target?

We did a lot of back then, what we see now as odd practices, the tactical world is ever evolving. A lot of drills etc we were taught back then were based on theory...the drills and overall firearm handling. But we have enough info around now, we should be able to wade through the BS, cut out the fluff crap and get to the meat...unfortunately, there's a lot of fluff still being taught. Do instructors not immerse themselves in research???? It's not like it's hard to find.

Integrate a few 3D targets into your drills. You'll see how fast a shallow angle can make the vital target a lot smaller. Take the paper silhouette targets and fold than into odd shapes and place on the target backer/stand, to replicate only being able to see part of a threat. Since we're talking about multiple targets, vary the distances of all the targets.

Get tactical (I cringe at that word) training. Competition is great, but you must learn to know why you do what you do to truly understand it. At competitions, don't walk through the stage first, which I think is asinine...shoot it cold...like life. And no matter the competition...always use your carry gear and run it tactically. Disregard some of the rules about when to reload, dropping magazines etc., stop that part of the game crap. Ok, so you won't get a prize, or a high score or place high...whoppiedingdong...you're prize in the end is your competence with your chosen firearm platform, gear and your ability to function without guided restrictions...other than the rule of law....and most of all, the confident ability to defend yourself as well as family and friends.

Massad Ayoob - Does anyone really know his background? Has anyone checked and verified? I'll leave this here...there is a reason why he lost his favor with both LE and Military, and pretty much focuses on citizen matters.
There are much better overall instructors out there, some even on this forum...search them out...there's a wealth of information here, some that I endorse...not that my endorsement means anything. But if it does...PM me.

I will give him this...few can run with him in the area of citizen personal defense matters.

Don't over think all of this...there's not a Magical-Ninja-Tactical-Advanced-Professional class you can take to attain it...it happens over time, just like anything else in your life.

@Taco_lean....I'll be 56 next month!

Be well all.....
Cerebus, no apologies necessary for me. It has been great to see the variety of ideas, thoughts, and posts for how people train and prepare. This is one of the great things about this forum and the ability to learn.

Everyone, sorry for all the back to back posts; my account was messed up and I am now finally able to respond.

Over the weekend, I and the family tried a few drills with both eyes open.

1. About a 7.5 inch round paper target at center mass height about 3.5 yards distance. Draw and fire 2 or empty the 10 rounds. I was generally able to stay within about 3 inches of center ( however, shots were landing at about the one o'clock position; I'm left handed).

2. Did the same, but started off close and moved backwards while firing to create distance. More difficult and accuracy spread out.

3. Posted two targets and repeated drills 1 and 2.

We are going to continue to practice these drills and hopefully, see Improvement. Keeping both eyes open and on the target isobviously not difficult, but placing accurate shots is.

I found this today, the info at the link gets pretty technical, but for someone that wants a better understanding of the principles of vision as they apply to front sight and target, see the link at the bottom:

If you have a hard time getting the front sight sharp and clear enough to see the necessary detail for difficult shots, you are a good candidate to explore and develop target-focused shooting with the sights blurry. High visibility sights that are more visible even when blurry will usually help a lot with this, whether they have a fiber optic in the front only, in the front and rear, or are any of the high visibility night sights that are available, with bright orange/yellow/green markings on the face of the front sight.

If you have a hard time with a doubled image (particularly the target) when keeping both eyes open and using iron sights, you probably have a strong natural linkage between your convergence and accommodation (see original article for details.) You are probably a good candidate to explore and develop two main aiming methods – target focused shooting with both eyes open on easier shots, and closing or squinting your nondominant eye for harder shots that require the detail allowed by sight focusing (sharp and clear front sight.) Closing/squinting the nondominant eye will eliminate the problem with the doubled image. Ideally, closing/squinting the nondominant eye should be done after the decision to fire has been made and as the gun is being brought into alignment with the target, whether that is from the holster, a ready position, or a previous target.

To borrow a profoundly-correct statement from five-time USPSA National Production Champion Ben Stoeger, don't underestimate how fast you can learn to be with sight-focused shooting, and don't underestimate how accurate you can learn to be with target-focused shooting.

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com/vi...68Y5aUqs-koNQZEVPZ3G8LsLPEPftInDJfcV49t6SUtoE

IMO, holding a subject at gunpoint is generally not a good thing... why would you do it... might be better to let a robber get away and have police deal with them later, but some people just have to have their justice!

Completely aside from questions of "justice" holding the orc at gunpoint is hazardous to the human. The cops don't do this sort of thing without backup + they have qualified immunity/carte blanche in such matters. If the orc is desperate to avoid re-incarceration you would be making attacking you his likely course of action. You would be legally justified to shoot, but how much would it cost to prove? If the orc runs away you have accomplished what you wanted, i.e. stopping the threat. Then the cops can deal with the situation, and you have avoided inconvenience, expense, and legal jeopardy concomitant to shooting somebody.

1) "Once more...engage the point man, and the others scatter...."
Shoot the most dangerous weapon or the closest threat first, depending on the situation.
2) "Give him a break, they didn't have forums when he cross the prairies in the covered wagons"
If you keep making fun of us old people I'll poke you with my cane.
3) #105 re focus:
I like the trap sights on the Steyr pistols. People either love or hate them. They aren't meant for target shooting, but fast acquisition with enough accuracy to hit vital zones at S/D ranges. I have had lens replacement and can't focus @ < about 3' and I can see the trap sights well enough to put my shots in the 5 zones.

I found this today, the info at the link gets pretty technical, but for someone that wants a better understanding of the principles of vision as they apply to front sight and target, see the link at the bottom:

If you have a hard time getting the front sight sharp and clear enough to see the necessary detail for difficult shots, you are a good candidate to explore and develop target-focused shooting with the sights blurry. High visibility sights that are more visible even when blurry will usually help a lot with this, whether they have a fiber optic in the front only, in the front and rear, or are any of the high visibility night sights that are available, with bright orange/yellow/green markings on the face of the front sight.

If you have a hard time with a doubled image (particularly the target) when keeping both eyes open and using iron sights, you probably have a strong natural linkage between your convergence and accommodation (see original article for details.) You are probably a good candidate to explore and develop two main aiming methods – target focused shooting with both eyes open on easier shots, and closing or squinting your nondominant eye for harder shots that require the detail allowed by sight focusing (sharp and clear front sight.) Closing/squinting the nondominant eye will eliminate the problem with the doubled image. Ideally, closing/squinting the nondominant eye should be done after the decision to fire has been made and as the gun is being brought into alignment with the target, whether that is from the holster, a ready position, or a previous target.

To borrow a profoundly-correct statement from five-time USPSA National Production Champion Ben Stoeger, don't underestimate how fast you can learn to be with sight-focused shooting, and don't underestimate how accurate you can learn to be with target-focused shooting.

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com/vi...68Y5aUqs-koNQZEVPZ3G8LsLPEPftInDJfcV49t6SUtoE
This is a great article and very helpful. The author's vocabulary and definitions, as well as how he "spells it out" is just about how I have been thinking about it and trying to implement.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top